Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Damaged b20 cylinder wall

Views : 3510

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2016, 16:23   #1
DWeed144

Default Damaged b20 cylinder wall

Hi All.
So I finally got round to taking the head off my engine after it went horribly wrong.
I've attached some rather poor photos.

From the look of it, 2nd cylinder in from the front has some very bad scoring to the cylinder wall, but just in one location. If lower the piston the wall looks fine everywhere else.

There seems to also be a huge amount of carbon build up on all three front pistons, but the back one seems very clean.

The head itself also has some serious carbon build up.

What do you think is wrong?
And what should I do about it?!

Thanks

DWeed144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2016, 20:53   #2
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default I fell into a burning....

First guess would be a broken piston ring. Did you get oil smoke/oil consumption and some loss of power + uneven tickover?
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 12:42   #3
DWeed144

All of the above.
It also had a serious knock to it by the end of its final drive..

Should I be rebuilding it, or is it going to be cheaper/easier to buy a second hand engine?

I can't imagine getting the block reconditioned is going to be cheap..?
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 22:35   #4
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Choices

For a good used engine you need to either hear/see it running or have great trust in the seller. In your position I'd look for a reasonably priced used engine but assume that it does need some work. If the bores are ok I'd fit new piston rings and shell bearings plus new seals on the oil pump (check this for wear too). A modified rear crank seal would be a good idea, ie a casing that uses a rubber seal rather than the felt ring. This list covers all the stuff that needs to be done with the engine out and things like the camshaft can be done later if required.
I'm assuming that you don't want to spend huge amounts and that swapping engines is not something you want to do often!
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 22:58   #5
DWeed144

I managed to track down a B18 motor in Edinburgh. It's been in storage since it was rebuilt apparently. He had it as a spare for his amazon. It was £300 delivered to me so I thought I would just take the risk. He was a very nice man who I'm pretty confident wasn't trying to mess me around.

So next up is get an overdrive gearbox and swap it all out.

I'll receive the engine tomorrow and be able to investigate how rebuilt it is, and whether it has the felt or rubber seals....
The Following User Says Thank You to DWeed144 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 10:37   #6
DWeed144

Default New Engine Received!

So I've taken receipt of my new engine. The previous owner had it stored in his garage for a number of years. He had kept it filled with oil and turned it over by hand every few weeks.
There is a bit of surface rust on the pushrods and the valvtrain, but it looks relatively healthy other than that.

He said that it was rebuilt in preparation for use on his car, but not tarted up on the outside, so hopefully it's in good internal condition.

Is there a way to see whether it has the felt crankcase seals from an external inspection?

All the oil dripping down it was due to me liberally pouring it over everything. I have to leave it for a few days and wanted to stop any more surface rust on the valve train...

Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 12:25   #7
Volvo_133
VOC member

Remove the flywheel, You will see an aluminium casting shaped like a tunnel.
Built into this you should see a red coloured seal, not the old brown type.
I notice the Fram oil filter. Always fit genuine Volvo filters as they have a valve fitted to prevent oil draining back into sump when engine switched off.
Pattern filters do not have the valve, causing oil starvation on initial start up.
Dealers still stock these at less than £10.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo_133 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 10:01   #8
DWeed144

Just a quick update.

I met another forum user, Dodger01, and purchased a C142b Shorrock Supercharger.

He was also able to supply me with new steel timing gears, a new clutch, and various other handy bits.

I now have my work cut out for me - a bit of a basic engine build -
1. replace the timing gears
2. machine the crankshaft cover plates to accept the neoprene seals
3. Design a new alternator mounting position on the right of the engine, by the steering box.
4. Redesign and cast a more solid supercharger supporting plate or live with the current one for now.

The difficult thing at the moment is trying to figure out how I will fit an alternator, and whether I need to find a smaller one to squeeze it in. Has anyone had any experience or success with this?

Another thing is that the supercharger intake is a standard two part manifold that has been cut to allow for a four branch exhaust manifold. I think I will just use the standard one, so I think ideally I would just get another connected manifold and re-tap the required holes. What manifold is it that has the single carb port facing upwards?

Any and all help and advice appreciated!

Trying to find space for alternator:
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 13:02   #9
Billy Smalls
Master Member

Bad ass!
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 20:36   #10
srs4164

Don't know if this will be helpful, or, irrelevant, but this link will bring you to a thread in which someone works on adding a Judson supercharger to their B20, so maybe he had to deal with some of the same issues - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=321395. This is the guy's website for his shop - http://theoldmotor.com/. Seems to be some impressive stuff.
srs4164 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to srs4164 For This Useful Post: