Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

480ES Strange MOT Failures

Views : 900

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 21:39   #1
tivoli pete

Hi,

My 1989 480 ES has just failed the MOT. It failed with two front lower control arm bushes being worn to excess, and also ALL the seatbelt buckles being too difficult to dissengage in the case of the vehicle being upside down on its roof!!

The garage say that the bushes are only part of the whole control arm and not supplied separately - is this true?

Has anyone else had problems with the seatbelt buckles?

Just one other thing. Every time the weather gets really wet, the indicators will intermittently stop working with the relay clicking very fast (the lamps do not flash at all on the outside of the car). I have changed the electronic contol box and checked the bulbs and bulb holders - still no different, any ideas??

Tivoli Pete.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 17:50   #2
terrastudios

Indicator wise sounds like a short somewhere which the wet weather is causing (e.g. plastic insulator worn away and water from road shorting cable to body?) id check all your looms out!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 23:24   #3
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 480ES Strange MOT Failures

How do they know that the buckles won't release when the car is upside down? Did they turn it over to test? This is not in the remit of an MOT test and they should stop bamboozling customers into accepting a failure without cause. A good scam no doubt till they get a complaint routed through Office of Fair Trading or the local Trading Standards Office. I would take it elsewhere and when it passes take your grievance through official channels.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 00:27   #4
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

If by lower control arm you mean lower wishbone bushes then i think they can be bought separately but it is often cheaper to buy the complete arm, because after you have paid to have the old bushes pressed out and then pressed in it can works out to be the same or even more.

I change a lot of wishbone arms on Fiesta's. Its a common MOT failure for the wishbone bushes to go.
You can buy the bushes for around £15 or buy a complete new wishbone with bushes for about £25. Its by far the easiest option.

Don't know which side is gone on yours but i've got a Brand New Right Hand side Wishbone arm for sale.

See this link for pictures http://www.btinternet.com/~peter.che...rtsforsale.htm
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 01:40   #5
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Just looked up on volvo parts database, and you can buy the bushes seperatley.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:30   #6
BIGBOYNEWTON

Had the same problem on my 440 td le. Arms are really expensive and the cheapest qoute came from volvo. The bushes are about £50 from volvo. I have never heard of seat belts being failed for that reason and you should have this checked by the office of fair trading.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 19:38   #7
tivoli pete

Well I have to admit that I have had the work done, and the car is now driving better and seems more stable over rough ground. The seatbelts are 100% better than before too, they were actually defective, or badly worn. It all cost me £468 but it has made a difference - so often it is the way that a huge bill paid on a car repair, gives you no noticeable benefit.

Cheers for all your comments and help.

Pete.