Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETM - Refurb by Autotek

Views : 2513

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 8th, 2011, 17:37   #1
Andypa

Default ETM - Refurb by Autotek

Hi

I've just changed my still going strong 1997 V70 with 148,000 miles for a late 2001 2.4 140 bhp V70 with 102,000 miles. All was exellent for the first few hundred miles........

But then, revs started racing on idle and limp home mode when driving, usually, but not always accompanied by messages either "engine system service" or "engine system service urgent", have also just had "power reduced" message. When it started (a week ago) it would sort itself by switching engine on and off, also messages would eventually clear as well. But on Friday I couldn't get it running properly and gave up.

On Saturday, I cleaned out the ETM thoroughly with brake cleaner and an old toothbrush as advised by local main dealer. Started ok, but went into limp home mode within a mile. It wasn't very dirty inside anyway.

Another point that may be relevent, when I bought the car there was a very slight judder when switching off the engine, almost like a slight run-on. This is much worse when in limp home mode and and at times during all this has been going on, has been much better. Could be related, or an early indication of impending failure?

So it looks like changing the ETM is probably necessary. It looks like the price of the unit has gone up recently as I was quoted £295 +vat from Volvo (part only) and a local independant quoted the same as it is dealer only. I've seen older posts on here where the part only was around £150 from volvo

The current best option seems to a BBA refurb which apparently now changes it to a non-contact part so it shouldn't wear again, around £200, still to verify price with BBA

However I've also seen on here a re-furb from a company called 'autotek' in Dorset for £131. I guess at this price it just re-furbs it to the original design. I've e-mailed them to confirm.

My question is, has anyone any experince of using this option with autotek?

Any other up to date advice would be welcome (I think I've already read all the threads on this subject)!

Cheers
Andypa is offline   Reply With Quote