Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine mount wear.

Views : 1446

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2005, 09:03   #1
blues60
My car is blue

Default Engine mount wear.

Is engine mount wear common on the S60? The only reason I ask is that my car (on 62K) is a bit jerky when it you lift off the accelerator and also when you take up the drive again. It's an auto box but the symptoms seem similar to those I had in another car which had a broken top mount. It feels as if the engine has to take up "slack" when you accelerate before the power actually comes in. It's not so bad when the car has some momentum but if I approach a roundabout and slow right down to a crawl and then accelerate away it takes up the drive quite violently.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:11   #2
Symes
Master Member

Default RE: Engine mount wear.

I had an S60 previously (changed at 120Kish) and it had a new top engine restraint at about the 80K as part of a regular service. I hadn't noticed any major problems before its replacement though.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 13:46   #3
John_C
Allons-y!

Yes it is very common, and it will cause the symptoms you describe. If you search for posts you will find lots about it. I made a post back in October (ish) with some pictures showing what to check in case you are unsure although it sounds from your post like you already know what you are talking about.

Nordic do an OEM replacement which I've had fitted and it has made a huge difference. Others say replace it with a plastic bush instead of rubber but I've heard that can transmit more noise and vibration so I went with the normal one.

J.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 22:55   #4
simmo

Yes mine was replaced on my 2001 S60 at around 45K, the new bush from Volvo has been modified and is now square, not round like the original. You can buy them from Volvo and they are quite easy to change yourself.
simmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 01:13   #5
blues60
My car is blue

Thanks chaps. Yes, I checked the top mount on mine today compared to a V70 at work and the rubber in mine has split right across. I bought a new one for £42 from Volvo which is the uprated one with the metal centre. I am having it fitted Friday as I can't be bothered to get cold and dirty myself!!
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 18:05   #6
blues60
My car is blue

I got bored this morning so decided to fit the new mount myself. It was pretty easy once I had got the plastic cam cover off. I lost 2 torx bits doing that and they are rolling about in the drip tray now!! The new mount has made a noticable difference and the pick up on acceleration is far smoother as well as when you lift off. I would advise all S60 owners to check theirs have been replaced with the uprated ones during service, which should be done apparently.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 15:00   #7
smargus
Cheers from Tallinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues60 View Post
I got bored this morning so decided to fit the new mount myself. It was pretty easy once I had got the plastic cam cover off. I lost 2 torx bits doing that and they are rolling about in the drip tray now!! The new mount has made a noticable difference and the pick up on acceleration is far smoother as well as when you lift off. I would advise all S60 owners to check theirs have been replaced with the uprated ones during service, which should be done apparently.
Hi!
I'm new to Volvos and to this forum, but as I was reading your post, I started to think of my V70 T5 MY00 behaviour. Your car symptoms are quite alike to what I'm feeling when slowing down or spooling up. My question is, if it's something that also V70 owners should be aware of and check?
I live in Estonia, in Tallinn, and to be honest, our road conditions here are "somewhat" poorer than you guys have.
smargus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 16:22   #8
mr.brown

I have an 02 V70 2.4T and have had the same symptoms for a while. At the service on 24/11 I was told that the top engine mount was "broken" (actually the rubber is split) so today I bought a new one from Volvo - which is still £42 I'm pleased to say.

Can anyone tell me if this mount is under load when static, i.e. will I need to jack the front or rear of the engine up to place it under tension?

TIA.
mr.brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 17:21   #9
BobS
Master Member

Hi,

Just changed mine last month (V70 2002). It was changed with no problems. There is no load on the joint just unbolt the old and bolt the new one back on.

Bob
BobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:42   #10
mr.brown

Cheers! Will give that a go later today - when it stops raining.
mr.brown is offline   Reply With Quote