Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake adjusters - clockwise or anticlockwise?

Views : 951

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:14   #1
moggieman

Default Brake adjusters - clockwise or anticlockwise?

Just bought my first amazon and haven't got a workshop manual yet. The rear offside drum has seized and, looking at previous posts, I should slacken the handbrake cable then the adjuster. It's a '68 single system and I can't see how to slacken the handbrake cable, and wanted to check which way to turn the adjuster on the drum to release the shoes (looking from the back). The adjuster is very stiff.

Any advice please?
moggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:29   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

mm;

Anti-clockwise on adjusters to loosen shoes...beware adjusters freeze due to galvanic corrosion, so use limited force and judgement...you may very well have to remove drum tand do a preventative mainenance on things...see also: http://sw-em.com/service%20notes.htm#Braking%20System Scroll down to: Adjusters

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 12:28   #3
moggieman

Thanks Ron - great resource. There was a home-made puller in the boot when I bought the car, so I'll give that a shot rather than wreck the adjuster.

Am I right in thinking there's nothing to slacken off the handbrake cable before the drum is removed?

David
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 13:35   #4
moggieman

The drum came off easily enough with the puller and the problem was revealed. One brake lining has become detatched and rotated round, wedging itself between the drum and the other shoe. Looks like the wheel cylinder is oozing a little bit too.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loose lining.jpg (257.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by moggieman; Oct 7th, 2008 at 13:37.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 17:43   #5
Alf ista
Premier Member

Ooohhh, that looks nasty......... Cant imagine the brakes were very good with the lining gone on holidays like that.
Alf ista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 21:24   #6
moggieman

All fixed - new cylinders and shoes plus a new adjuster on one side - it was absolutely solid as Ron predicted. All lubed up with copper ease so hopefully will be easier to undo next time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rebuilt offside sm.jpg (218.3 KB, 12 views)
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 01:19   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

A small smear of grease on all of the rubbing points, shoes, handbrake mechanism and anti rattle springs always a good idea. Used to be Castrol PH white grease but now called CL. Copaslip would probably also do the trick as long as its oily base doesn't get on the linings.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote