Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

sunroof / moonroof reseal

Views : 10543

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2020, 09:41   #31
90Wine745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Dave, Thanks for posting the info. from volvopartswebstore.

Mike, Those images of the items from Skandix appear to be two different items which purport to be copies of the original. I have never tried to order anything from volvopartswebstore, I simply use the site for reference and information. I don’t know anything about Scandcar BV so cannot comment, although, having had a look on their website, they do appear to supply genuine original items.
Yes, as mentioned in another thread elsewhere on this forum, always try your main dealer first, you may be pleasantly surprised, as I was when I enquired about the seal and the wind deflector. My main dealer was unable to supply a “slip hub” for my cooling fan, but another dealer in Wales was able to do so. Always worth a ‘phone call.
Thanks Ian,
I guess I should have more faith in the dealer, never heard of Scandcar BV but will also check them out. I also think the volvopartswebstore is great for information, never got to order from them either though, hopefully some day. Yes, those pictures are confusing so when, like me, you are new to this it can be very misleading. BTW, in the Wind deflector thread, I asked you a question about volvopartswebstore too, not sure if you saw it. Sorry to annoy yo like this.
Mike
90Wine745 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 10:22   #32
Ian21401
Premier Member

90Wine745:
You are not annoying me at all. Not all problems can be sorted with one simple answer. We are simply having a conversation about a problem, as we would if meeting face to face.
I’ll check your query on the deflector now.
Are you on RI and do you have a Volvo dealer anywhere near you?

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 10:31   #33
90Wine745

Quote:
90Wine745:
You are not annoying me at all. Not all problems can be sorted with one simple answer. We are simply having a conversation about a problem, as we would if meeting face to face.
I’ll check your query on the deflector now.
Are you on RI and do you have a Volvo dealer anywhere near you?
Thanks Ian,
What is RI?
I have a dealer about 25 miles south and another 40 miles north of me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 10:41   #34
Ian21401
Premier Member

Mike:
RI = Republic of Ireland ( Eire ). You mentioned west of Ireland but my geography is not that good so don’t know whether you are Ulster or RI. but I could have looked it up.
If you really want a seal try a ‘phone call to a dealer. If no success with them try FRF in Wales. Just to be sure the dealer is searching on the correct data base, quote your VIN at them.

Having looked it up, if you are in County Clare, Munster, you are in Eire.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; May 7th, 2020 at 10:50.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2020, 20:41   #35
90Wine745

Quote:
Mike:
RI = Republic of Ireland ( Eire ). You mentioned west of Ireland but my geography is not that good so don’t know whether you are Ulster or RI. but I could have looked it up.
If you really want a seal try a ‘phone call to a dealer. If no success with them try FRF in Wales. Just to be sure the dealer is searching on the correct data base, quote your VIN at them.

Having looked it up, if you are in County Clare, Munster, you are in Eire.
Good idea to pursue the dealer Ian, seal is good for the moment but nice to know they are available.
yes, I am in Ennis, County Clare, Eire.
Stay Safe,
Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to 90Wine745 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2020, 02:03   #36
Free940

I checked my email and saw that Scandcar BV had given me a refund for my sunroof seal purchase. I assumed that it was not available or something like that. I was relieved because of the high cost and I had not checked with my local Volvo dealer. I called the local dealer and was informed that the seal is not available in the US, only overseas. I checked my email and saw another refund from Scandcar BV.. What's going on here? After some investigating, I saw I had paid three times! They kept the third payment and my seal should be here by May 11th. Sure glad it was unavailable from the local dealer or I would have ordered it over the phone and been stuck with an extra one!

Anyway.. here is my sunroof situation.

Just to be safe, I have it taped off to keep moisture out. Something tells me I will have fun when it comes time to peel the foil tape off.. At least I can sleep well when we get a heavy rain storm. I know it is only to keep the dust out, but mine is still a little open in the back and the seal is in bad shape.

Here are all the pieces I have. No thick metal curvy pieces as I had thought, only the short chrome pieces that slide in the rod and have apparently broken off of the mechanism remaining in the roof. It will be fun trying to find replacements..

Free940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2020, 02:04   #37
Free940

I don't know if I broke these pieces forcing the roof open or they were already broken, but they appear to slide into the rod.

A view from the inside:

I was able to grab the headliner and slide it (halfway) out.

From looking at Ians' pictures, I might be missing some other pieces..

And Ian, Loxahatchee (indian for "river of turtles") is located in South Florida. It's in western Palm Beach County towards Lake Okeechobee, which is the largest fresh water lake in Florida and the second largest lake totally contained in the US.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2020, 10:19   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That looks like you've got several broken bits there!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2020, 14:45   #39
Free940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That looks like you've got several broken bits there!
Well just those brackets as far as I can see unless you're talking about the dome light!
The Following User Says Thank You to Free940 For This Useful Post:
Old May 8th, 2020, 16:37   #40
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free940 View Post
Well just those brackets as far as I can see unless you're talking about the dome light!
I missed the light but there shouldn't be any broken bits dropping out of the sunroof!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote