Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo front windscreen tint film

Views : 1747

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2013, 02:09   #1
aslan
From far away

Default Volvo front windscreen tint film

Hi all

Since acquiring my 08/09 XC90 a few months back, I've noticed this discolouration on the front windscreen. It is affecting both top corners.

I did mention this to the dealer sales person and he said it was due to the aftermarket tint film.

IMG_20131205_153015.jpg

So taking his word, I waited till I had funds to remove and install a new front windscreen tint. I went to the tint shop and after inspecting it carefully they said it is not due to the tint film. The aftermarket tint on the inside of the front windscreen goes above the the blackened rim of the windscreen. And the discolouration is actually due to some sort of film inside the windscreen.

I've seen at least one other XC90 on the road with this sort of windscreen.

Not sure how common this is. But when I was searching for used XC90 I don't recall seeing this.

Anyone else suffering this same effect on their windscreen?

The XC90 has an extended 5 years warranty which is still valid. Is this a manufacturing defect?

Thanks!
B230E 740 1989 - sold
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 09:05   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Hi all

Since acquiring my 08/09 XC90 a few months back, I've noticed this discolouration on the front windscreen. It is affecting both top corners.

I did mention this to the dealer sales person and he said it was due to the aftermarket tint film.

Attachment 68662

So taking his word, I waited till I had funds to remove and install a new front windscreen tint. I went to the tint shop and after inspecting it carefully they said it is not due to the tint film. The aftermarket tint on the inside of the front windscreen goes above the the blackened rim of the windscreen. And the discolouration is actually due to some sort of film inside the windscreen.

I've seen at least one other XC90 on the road with this sort of windscreen.

Not sure how common this is. But when I was searching for used XC90 I don't recall seeing this.

Anyone else suffering this same effect on their windscreen?

The XC90 has an extended 5 years warranty which is still valid. Is this a manufacturing defect?

Thanks!
If it is a whitish discolouration of the plastic layer between the two sheets of glass it is water or damp damage . It may well be a replacement non volvo screen .. ? Is the word VOLVO printed in black on the screen anywhere ?
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 09:38   #3
A lex
Premier Member

Looks very much like water ingress on to one of the inner layers of the screen.

Very common on mid-90s Mercs with the double glazing.
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 11:14   #4
aslan
From far away

Default Volvo Windscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If it is a whitish discolouration of the plastic layer between the two sheets of glass it is water or damp damage . It may well be a replacement non volvo screen .. ? Is the word VOLVO printed in black on the screen anywhere ?
Yes. It is a whitish discolouration. This is seen from inside.

2013-12-16 18.06.43.jpg

And yes it is a Volvo windscreen - made in Italy. Here's a pic of the the marking.

2013-12-16 18.35.38.jpg

So if this is due to damp or water damage, does this mean there's something wrong with the sealant around the windscreen allowing water to seep in? It looks fine as far as I can tell. Anyone else I should check?

Would this damage be claimable under warranty? Or considered normal wear? Mileage is 93k km and the extended 5 years warranty ends in Mac 14.

Is this a known issue? If this is a known issue and Volvo made some improvement to later windscreen, then it may be worth me pursuing a replacement from Volvo (if they say can). But if it's something all the windscreen are at risk, then I may just live with it.
B230E 740 1989 - sold
Old Dec 16th, 2013, 12:01   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Yes. It is a whitish discolouration. This is seen from inside.

Attachment 68667

And yes it is a Volvo windscreen - made in Italy. Here's a pic of the the marking.

Attachment 68668

So if this is due to damp or water damage, does this mean there's something wrong with the sealant around the windscreen allowing water to seep in? It looks fine as far as I can tell. Anyone else I should check?

Would this damage be claimable under warranty? Or considered normal wear? Mileage is 93k km and the extended 5 years warranty ends in Mac 14.

Is this a known issue? If this is a known issue and Volvo made some improvement to later windscreen, then it may be worth me pursuing a replacement from Volvo (if they say can). But if it's something all the windscreen are at risk, then I may just live with it.
Thats quite bad and certainly not seen that before on an XC90 only sometimes on 30 year old cars . Go for the warranty claim ... The edge of the glass is not supposed to be sealed at all , there is nothing you could have done to prevent it .
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 03:42   #6
aslan
From far away

An update and closure.

I went to the dealer today. They agree it's the windscreen itself at fault but unfortunately it is not covered under the extended warranty.

Only avenue is to get it replaced using my windscreen insurance coverage.
B230E 740 1989 - sold
Old Dec 17th, 2013, 08:33   #7
laundryman
The Engineer

If you acquired the car recently, it will have some kind of warranty?? I would try the 'not fit for purpose' line.
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 12:11   #8
aslan
From far away

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
If you acquired the car recently, it will have some kind of warranty??
Unfortunately here, used car's warranty from previous experience here is at the most one week. And that is only for major breakdowns like car can't start. I think reading from posts here the situation is much better over in UK.

The extended warranty given by the volvo dealer (which you won't get if car bought from a normal used car dealer lot) only covers major parts alternator, water pumps etc. They showed me the terms and conditions as agreed and paid for by the previous owner who took up the extended warranty package
B230E 740 1989 - sold
Old Dec 19th, 2013, 12:29   #9
A lex
Premier Member

A milky windscreen wouldnt be covered under an extended warranty here either.

It will get classed as 'wear and tear'.

If it bothers you enough to want it changed, id find a brick and 'accidentally' break your screen and claim for a new one off the insurance..

A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 10:44   #10
aslan
From far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by A lex View Post
A milky windscreen wouldnt be covered under an extended warranty here either.

It will get classed as 'wear and tear'.

If it bothers you enough to want it changed, id find a brick and 'accidentally' break your screen and claim for a new one off the insurance..

It's bothering me and wife as otherwise the exterior of the car is clean and proper.

At the suggestion of local volvo dealer, I'll be installing a new windscreen and claiming it under my insurance. How they do it ... swing a hammer or whatever .... I'll leave the paperwork to them

I've asked whether I can fit in a non-IR windscreen (looking at VADIS there is such a version) but they say not possible. Don't fancy having the same issues 4-5 years later! But they assured me that the windscreen have been improved by Volvo.
B230E 740 1989 - sold