Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 Tailgate will not lock

Views : 10222

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 13:33   #1
Purdydog
Yorkshire Exile

Default V70 Tailgate will not lock

Hi all,

I've come acroos a problem the tailgate lock on my V70 SE.

The tailgate will latch shut but will not lock in the closed position with either the key fob or the central locking off the key.

With the tailgate open I can manually latch the lock so that the central locking operates its. In this position the key fob will lock and unlock the tailgate hacth.

I suspected the keep wasn't adjusted properly and have spent the morning trying to adjust it in various position to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Barry

1996 850 tdi glt 132k
Purdydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 01:15   #2
GrahamB
GrahamB

Default Tailgate Lock

It could be a break in the left hand wiring loom into the tailgate. I had this, I think it was the yellow wire. It is a fiddly job, which involves pulling off some trim to get at the cable, unwrapping some of the tape around the loom and the clip around the hinge arc, then tweaking the individual wires to try and find the break. You then need to bridge the break, bearing in mind that it will flex. I then ran a second bridge over a longer section of the wire, which will act as a bypass if the first one breaks again. There is a fair chance that while fiddling around with the loom, another wire will break! If it is the loom, I guess that the alternative is to buy a complete new section of loom, which runs from top left in the roof above the tailgate to somewhere inside the tailgate - probably expensive!
The question is - do you spend money to save time, or spend time to save money?
Audi A4 Avant TDI - Traitor
GrahamB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamB For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2010, 21:30   #3
Purdydog
Yorkshire Exile

Thanks GrahamB I'll take a look.

To answer your question it's most definitely to save money so it looks like its out with the wire strippers and soldering iron.

Cheers,

Barry.

1996 850 tdi glt 132k
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 08:44   #4
Purdydog
Yorkshire Exile

Hi Graham,

Finally got round to braving the cold and looking at the tail gate lock, as you suggested it was a split loom - the purple and black wire to be precise.
Was frustratingly intermittent as the lock worked when open and not when closed.

Joined this and alls well again, apart from the boot open light remains on, is the switch for this within the tailgate lock or elsewhere?
I'm guessing I need to adjust the lock keep / striker plate.

Cheers,

Barry

1996 850 tdi glt 132k
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 09:42   #5
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

The switch is within the lock, temporary cure:

Spray light lubricant deep into the mechanism.

Tailgate open, hold the latch handle in the open position and work the lock catch back and forth with a screwdriver or similar while observing the lamp.

Patience should get it working again.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 18:11   #6
MoonlightMolly

My tailgate will not lock/unlock with the keyfob at all. I have been told to buy a total new lock mechanism, is this really necessary or could there be another underlying problem?
MoonlightMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 19:02   #7
MoonlightMolly

also, there is no manual lock barrel on the tailgate. Are these easily replaced and do they need to be matched up in any way to the rest of the locks on the car?
MoonlightMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2013, 19:19   #8
mikealder
VOC Member

Most probably a broken wire in the loom going to the tailgate, open the tailgate and in the hinge line you will find the electrical cables wrapped up/ covered, take this to bits and check for broken wires, what year of car is it by the way?
I would be testing the wiring before spending money on a tailgate lock assembly as you don't hear of the lock assembly failing too often but the tailgate wiring fault isn't unusual on a 10+ year old car - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 12:37   #9
PEGE63
Master Member

I have an issue with my tail gate lock in as much as the latch is stiff and does not spring back properly when used manually (it has en electric tail gate). I have to push it pack on its way up. I can clearly see the pin being rusty. (used to have this problem on the 945's too) Have sprayed some WD40 for now and its a fraction better but not working as it should by any means. Car's got a years warranty on it, what will Volvo do if I take it in? grease it up or replace the bit? What is the minimum I should ask for?

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 13:04   #10
Percy topliss
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGE63 View Post
I have an issue with my tail gate lock in as much as the latch is stiff and does not spring back properly when used manually (it has en electric tail gate). I have to push it pack on its way up. I can clearly see the pin being rusty. (used to have this problem on the 945's too) Have sprayed some WD40 for now and its a fraction better but not working as it should by any means. Car's got a years warranty on it, what will Volvo do if I take it in? grease it up or replace the bit? What is the minimum I should ask for?

Im sure they will do whatever is the cheapest option if lubricating the lock solves the problem then thats what they will do
Percy topliss is offline   Reply With Quote