Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upto £9K off new cars.

Views : 1278

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2024, 16:43   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kugaman1 View Post
I read an interesting article about the future of diesel this morning.
The trade reckons only 3% of cars sold in 2027 will be diesel.

They think that ICE car values may well go up over the coming years as dealers fight for good quality stock in a market where there are less and less available.

Manufacturers are being forced to increase their percentage of electric cars every year……however the majority of the public are still not convinced by them and staying with ICE for as long as possible….the trade thinks this will keep holding down electric car prices……current depreciation on most of them is eye watering.

A very, very interesting 3/5 years ahead I think.

Personally, Ive just ordered a new diesel while I can. As a caravanner, electric cars just don't yet work for us. Once they can do 200+ miles when towing, we will take the plunge and hope theres still a good market for our diesel!
That's evident, as sales of EV's have plummeted. If no one is buying EV's, manufacturer's have to try and sell what they can to stay afloat.

Its all good and well the Government forcing the manufacturer's to produce more EV's, but if they aren't selling, there's no point producing them. No business can sustain having stock that doesn't sell. If the Government keeps forcing EV uptake without improving infrastructure, manufacturer's will go out of business. EV's just don't work right now... the infrastructure isn't there and the prices are crazy. There's people that have EV's and are swapping back to ICE.

I think ICE cars are going to be around for a long time yet. Infrastructure needs huge improvements and there has to be affordable EV's to entice people to swap.

There's no point having an EV if there's no where to charge it (lots of charging points are broken). Then there's the price at the charging points... 87p+ per kw, when you can charge at home for less than 10p per kw (depending on tariff). Then, of course, there's the problem of not being able to charge at home... Flats, apartments, terraced houses etc etc.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 8th, 2024 at 16:54.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 18:59   #12
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
What is the future?
I heard it was Garlic Bread.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 20:56   #13
Murph7355

I sprang for a T8 Ultimate on 16th Feb on the same arrangement...0% APR, cheap servicing pack (and stuck a tow bar on).

Expensive? Very.

But the only EV we were considering as an alternative was the EV9. Very nice car, but not *as* nice as the XC90 inside. And the deals were nowhere near as keen (money off list offered, but 6.9% APR, no other bits to deal on - the price of a brand new model I guess.

EV infrastructure is fine, and had Kia moved on the deal we may well have jumped ship. But it wasn't to be.

As it is, a large chunk of our mileage can be done electric only in the T8. And when we need more miles, an EV would need to charge publicly. Which at current prices is a rip off - it's no cheaper than petrol, so there is no advantage.

The EX90 is still a year off and likely to be 100k++, which I wasn't interested in paying.

We'll run the new car (the offer isn't only new in stock...we bought a made to order...due 3-5mths apparently) and see how it goes. If EV9 prices soften heavily, and public charger operators stop being silly, we may swap. But in all likelihood, we'll run this Volvo to 120k miles too
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 07:59   #14
Kugaman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I heard it was Garlic Bread.
I believe that children are the future.
Kugaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kugaman1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 08:23   #15
SteveHolmes21

Driving down almost the full length M5 the other day, there was no availability of EV charging at any of the service stations.
I will be staying with ICE for the foreseeable future.
SteveHolmes21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 10:20   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHolmes21 View Post
Driving down almost the full length M5 the other day, there was no availability of EV charging at any of the service stations.
I will be staying with ICE for the foreseeable future.
I saw a whole load of chargers at both Sedgemoor and Taunton Deane when I was last down that way. Were they all out commission?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 10:42   #17
V60 probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I saw a whole load of chargers at both Sedgemoor and Taunton Deane when I was last down that way. Were they all out commission?
And there are innumerable chargers just off the motorway (in hotels etc), which the car will direct you to.

In two years owning an EV, I could always find somewhere to charge, the reason I went back to ICE (PHEV) is the time taken to charge. I want to get where I'm going and having to sit for an hour to get a full charge wore a bit thin, quite quickly.

IMO it's not so much infrastructure that's the problem, as the long charging time and short range of EV's. when they have 1000 mile range and charge in 15 minutes, then we're about there. I appreciate that the infrastructure of super-rapid chargers will have to be ramped up to match the technology, but it looks like we're some time from that anyway.

Prevously: 1992 440ti, 1997 S40 1.8, 2000 S80 2.4.
V60 probably is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 11:45   #18
Discoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60 probably View Post
And there are innumerable chargers just off the motorway (in hotels etc), which the car will direct you to.

In two years owning an EV, I could always find somewhere to charge, the reason I went back to ICE (PHEV) is the time taken to charge. I want to get where I'm going and having to sit for an hour to get a full charge wore a bit thin, quite quickly.

IMO it's not so much infrastructure that's the problem, as the long charging time and short range of EV's. when they have 1000 mile range and charge in 15 minutes, then we're about there. I appreciate that the infrastructure of super-rapid chargers will have to be ramped up to match the technology, but it looks like we're some time from that anyway.
Yep, BEVs are best suited for second cars in a family but the tax manipulation to push take up has been for high end company cars. My Volvo does too many long journeys for me to want to up my coffee consumption that much! Solid state batteries and other tech changes will make BEVs happen but its too early for now. If I had a company car then I would try and make it work.
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 07:59   #19
Murph7355

Quote:
Originally Posted by V60 probably View Post
I have one that will do 200 miles or so (right foot dependent) but that will put 80% charge into it in 20mins.

In reality that's up to 3hrs driving. With the way the sat navs work on these wrt charging, it works fine.

My OH was dead set against EVs, getting range anxiety on my behalf. We did a long trip in mine and that evaporated.

If the £s deal on an EV9 had been a bit better, and/or the interior quality been better, we'd likely have one coming rather than an XC90.
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 09:35   #20
V60 probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
Yep, BEVs are best suited for second cars in a family but the tax manipulation to push take up has been for high end company cars. My Volvo does too many long journeys for me to want to up my coffee consumption that much! Solid state batteries and other tech changes will make BEVs happen but its too early for now. If I had a company car then I would try and make it work.
That's pretty much why I tried one.

Prevously: 1992 440ti, 1997 S40 1.8, 2000 S80 2.4.
V60 probably is offline   Reply With Quote