Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with a D5 (163bhp) XC90

Views : 3166

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2013, 12:56   #1
Gazzaa

Default Towing with a D5 (163bhp) XC90

Hi all,

I'm still deliberating about re-mapping my 2005 D5 XC90 (163bhp). I'm currently towing a 1600 Kg Caravan and find the car a under powered on even slight hills. There’s no excessive black smoke and the car seems ok when not towing.

Don't get me wrong I know it’s a heavy car and I'm not expecting sports car performance. I'm hoping a re-map will significantly improve torque!?!?!

I've trawled through loads of threads about re-mapping, but to satisfy my curiosity,
How many of you are towing with a D5 XC90?
How many of you have had the car re-mapped?
Which re-map did you go for? (MTE, BSR, Shark, Other?)
Did the re-map improve the car enough to justify the cost?

Cheers for now
Gazza
Gazzaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 17:27   #2
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Hi Gazza.
albeit mine is the v70 same engine and a tad lighter, mine befor it was mapped would struggle just a bit setting off with 1700 kg on the back and i would suspect yours more so,
yes i would map it, it will bring in the boost early and the lag effect will go.which to go for
Mte or Shark having tried and tested both they are as good as each other on these cars,
me i would go with Shark the reason being they are local and you see what you get, with Mte you do it yourself with a Iso loader.
the above is my experiance on this subject.
yes it did justify the cost before i could hardly drive in top gear with the Map on its in top gear most of the time
mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 07:44   #3
Ian H

I don't know whether this helps, but we have a newer XC90 which is 200bhp and we have no trouble towing the caravan (1500kg) at all. It might drop down a geat on a steep hill, but never feels like it's straining and can hold it's speed no trouble.

In fact, it's the best tow car we've ever had, and that includes a Toyota Landcruiser and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Ian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 13:29   #4
wilbur6669

I tow a 1550kg (when loaded) van with my 2004 165bhp and I can confirm that hills kill me.

Especially when we get off the M5 at jct 27 heading to Barnstaple, some of those early, rolling North Devon hills, reduce me to second gear by the time I am near the Apex. I even have other vans overtaking me.
The previous car was a VW Sharan (115bhp) and that went up the hills with ease. Just shows how the weight of the car is it biggest downfall.
However the VW was buffeted so much by ovetaking trucks/coaches that I gripped the steering wheel until my knucles were white, whereas the XC90 does not budge - I prefer to suffer on the hills than go back to that buffeting again.

I have considered the remap, but does it come with a risk to reliability, turbo, gearbox, haldak coupling etc?
wilbur6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2013, 18:27   #5
GJB
Premier Member

I have owned both with a 04 163 and now with a 10 200 and the difference is very noticeable I have also used a 163 with a box from dtuk which was an improvement over original 163.

Last edited by GJB; Apr 24th, 2013 at 18:27. Reason: Typo
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 07:55   #6
Garethru

Hi; I have recently purchased a 2010 185bhp manual xc90, first towing experience with 1700 TA at easter was excellent. Previous car was a 140bhp smax, it was ok but you could easily tell the difference.

The xc90 was at ease and frequently in 6th gear, only dropping to 5th on some hills and rarely to 4th, car was fully laden with 6 people and luggage so full train was near towards to max values.

Power from the xc90 on start off was excellent, and easily / quickly got up to speed to join with the flow of traffic.

Would recommend this to anybody, but I was expecting to notice a difference because this is the first large 4x4 I have towed with.
Garethru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 17:32   #7
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethru View Post
Hi; I have recently purchased a 2010 185bhp manual xc90, first towing experience with 1700 TA at easter was excellent. Previous car was a 140bhp smax, it was ok but you could easily tell the difference.

The xc90 was at ease and frequently in 6th gear, only dropping to 5th on some hills and rarely to 4th, car was fully laden with 6 people and luggage so full train was near towards to max values.

Power from the xc90 on start off was excellent, and easily / quickly got up to speed to join with the flow of traffic.

Would recommend this to anybody, but I was expecting to notice a difference because this is the first large 4x4 I have towed with.
Similar experience for us as Gareth describes with Geartronic, MY2010 185 R-Design Geartronic pulls 1850kg MTPLM TA caravan with 4 in car no probs at all. Am amazed how quickly its into 6th and only drops to 5th on steepish inclines. MPG approx 34 solo / 24 towing this large van. Due for change in Dec and think I may go for a new Toureg tho. as XC90 is old design and no sign of new one until next year and will have next car for 4 years.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 07:20   #8
Shadeyman
VOC Member

I have a 2004 XC90 SE(163) and I plan to tow a caravan later this year once the prices of them drop a little. I suspect the car is already remapped due to how easily it already pulls a 750kg trailer with a 5 door diesel Fiat Stilo onboard so I'm expecting no problems towing a caravan. I plan to purchase a twin axle, mainly because I like the idea of having 2 wheels either side in case of a puncture. A friend of mine tows his caravan with a Jag estate and uses a "Stabaliser", are they necessary?
Shadeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2013, 20:12   #9
rnlisg

Default twin axel,s

i have had a number of "twins",all gave excellent stability,but now have a single axle bailey pegasus verona,i have had tyron safety bands fitted,these will not let the tyre off the wheel and give you good control and should allow you to stop safely.ref stabilizers,most vans from around 2005/6 will have either an alko system fitted as std or in the case of the explorer group,a german winterhoff unit,these are both excellent aids to stability,but you still need to load sensibly, and dont get any grease etc on the ball.
cheers
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rnlisg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2013, 17:21   #10
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeyman View Post
I have a 2004 XC90 SE(163) and I plan to tow a caravan later this year once the prices of them drop a little. I suspect the car is already remapped due to how easily it already pulls a 750kg trailer with a 5 door diesel Fiat Stilo onboard so I'm expecting no problems towing a caravan. I plan to purchase a twin axle, mainly because I like the idea of having 2 wheels either side in case of a puncture. A friend of mine tows his caravan with a Jag estate and uses a "Stabaliser", are they necessary?
Get an ALKO built in to head of caravan tow hitch saves any problems separate stabalizers are never as good. Keep the nose weight correct and you are on a winner.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post: