Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Head gasket gone and head cracked

Views : 2492

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 16:04   #1
Laney760
VOC Member

Default Head gasket gone and head cracked

I've started a new thread because there are a few different ones on here that pertain to this previously unresolved issue. The RAC recommended garage that do all the work on the RAC VW diesel fleet and know the D24TIC engine very well today diagnosed that not only is my hg gone but they can guarantee that the head is cracked due to the sheer volume of smoke. Bit gutted. They didn't take the head bolts off to confirm as they said this could worsen the crack. They didn't charge me for today. They were going to charge me just under £700 all in to do the head gasket and renew cam belt (Volvo main agents wanted £400 just to renew cam belt) and they don't think it is worth my while paying them the extra on top to do the head. Nor do they think I should have an engine rebuild. They are willing to have another engine delivered there and they will put it in for £350. In the meantime I am going keep the coolant topped up and run her into the ground (I've had her over two months, have done a lot of mileage in her and she has not worsened), maybe I'll get another year. Maybe some people will disagree but I am still putting her in next week for cam belt change (£135 +vat) unless I source a really good engine first, they didn't think it was worth it but one man with a head problem on a D24TIC on Ebay has done 9000 miles fully laden up and down to Cornwall and his is still going strong, I would be gutted if the cam belt went tomorrow. They recommended I put in a tin of TTP Rad-Fix, about £28, they said this stuff is great and will help seal up the head without gunging up the radiator. They also said that the reason the engine's performance on a full day's driving gets way torquier and faster is not my imagination but because the cylinders are filling with more and more water plus fuel, they said the old Ford Cosworths used to have a water injection system under their back seats which greatly enhanced performance and many people didn't know this. They also said that they don't think I am going to have any starting problems this winter due to lowered compression, one good bit of news

Opinions please

If anyone on here has had their head and hg done on a D24TIC at a good price please would they be kind enough to let me know?

If anyone has a good engine for sale would they let me know? I did source a cracking one last month, I will see if it is still available

Thank You!

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 17:50   #2
craig8661
Master Member

all i can say is im sorry to hear that the head has cracked that may explain the power symptoms your having try a member called galway is southern ireland he brought the two d24s of me and he may sell you a compleete engine or just the head of one

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 20:06   #3
tfb

You have my sympathies. £135+VAT is not a bad price, in fact it sounds very reasonable, to have the cam belt done, but I would be inclined to put that away towards an engine.
In some ways you might be better off buying a complete car. At least then you see and hear the engine running and you will have a nice source of spare parts for the future! If you are lucky you can pick a complete car up for only a couple of hundred pounds more than an engine alone. It's also easier to drive a complete car home than it is to get an engine on a pallet and get it delivered!

Regards
TFB
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 21:59   #4
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfb View Post
You have my sympathies. £135+VAT is not a bad price, in fact it sounds very reasonable, to have the cam belt done, but I would be inclined to put that away towards an engine.
In some ways you might be better off buying a complete car. At least then you see and hear the engine running and you will have a nice source of spare parts for the future! If you are lucky you can pick a complete car up for only a couple of hundred pounds more than an engine alone. It's also easier to drive a complete car home than it is to get an engine on a pallet and get it delivered!

Regards
TFB

Agree but I have nowhere to store. This 940 has to go in the garage every night because of theft and malicious damage, left it out for a week recently with diesel pump disconnected and two crooklocks on and had two nearly new Pirellis get punctures outside of the 75 per cent repairable band of tyre, I have a well above average puncture rate? and my Campervan is Sorn on unadopted land outside my property and despite the fact that is legal I have had hell from Housing Association and Parish Council who unlawfully involved Police. I simply cannot store another vehicle nor cope with the stress neighbours who are jealous and have no life would cause for me. Village life, lol, never had all this in the city..... Have placed a wanted for either engine or cylinder head on here, priced up cylinder heads today, phew, £500 plus but if I had it I'd put the money into this lovely car......

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 04:17   #5
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Be very careful, In no way can a cracked head be diagnosed just by the volume of smoke produced. Do they realise that the RAC VW fleet is comprised of 2.5 Litre FIVE cylinder engines which are a different kettle of fish to a D24TIC and the five cylinder engines have electronic control of their fuelling. This does sound like a con being worked because you are a lady. I would be tempted to have the fuel pump set up correctly, change the injectors and glow plugs and drain the water from the fuel via the screw on top of the filter and the tap underneath the filter before condemning the engine. I would also tighten the headbolts by 90 degrees (using one continuous movement).

Tell the Housing Association that if they do not own the land thay can take a running jump. I have three cars on SORN parked on the roads by my house and because the roads are still unadopted by the Council thay can stay put until the roads become adopted by the council. The Council are very co-operative and have said that they will let me know when adoption day draws near so that I can find new homes for them.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 08:24   #6
Laney760
VOC Member

Hi Peter

As I said, this garage have been dealing with all VW diesels for years and are very familiar with the D24TIC. They are inundated with work, I trust them, besides I always ask for my old parts back, I'm sure they wouldn't make an issue of removing a cylinder head, cracking it themselves and giving it back to me thus so. Reading on the net these engines are notorious for this problem. I have no problems with the Council over my Merc camper parked outside, just Housing Association and Parish Council, these people can put pressure on in other ways to get their own way, long story, don't want to bore everyone.. Thank you

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:58   #7
phasesonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneystrider View Post
I've started a new thread because there are a few different ones on here that pertain to this previously unresolved issue. The RAC recommended garage that do all the work on the RAC VW diesel fleet and know the D24TIC engine very well today diagnosed that not only is my hg gone but they can guarantee that the head is cracked due to the sheer volume of smoke. Bit gutted. They didn't take the head bolts off to confirm as they said this could worsen the crack. They didn't charge me for today. They were going to charge me just under £700 all in to do the head gasket and renew cam belt (Volvo main agents wanted £400 just to renew cam belt) and they don't think it is worth my while paying them the extra on top to do the head. Nor do they think I should have an engine rebuild. They are willing to have another engine delivered there and they will put it in for £350. In the meantime I am going keep the coolant topped up and run her into the ground (I've had her over two months, have done a lot of mileage in her and she has not worsened), maybe I'll get another year. Maybe some people will disagree but I am still putting her in next week for cam belt change (£135 +vat) unless I source a really good engine first, they didn't think it was worth it but one man with a head problem on a D24TIC on Ebay has done 9000 miles fully laden up and down to Cornwall and his is still going strong, I would be gutted if the cam belt went tomorrow. They recommended I put in a tin of TTP Rad-Fix, about £28, they said this stuff is great and will help seal up the head without gunging up the radiator. They also said that the reason the engine's performance on a full day's driving gets way torquier and faster is not my imagination but because the cylinders are filling with more and more water plus fuel, they said the old Ford Cosworths used to have a water injection system under their back seats which greatly enhanced performance and many people didn't know this. They also said that they don't think I am going to have any starting problems this winter due to lowered compression, one good bit of news

Opinions please

If anyone on here has had their head and hg done on a D24TIC at a good price please would they be kind enough to let me know?

If anyone has a good engine for sale would they let me know? I did source a cracking one last month, I will see if it is still available

Thank You!

This might be worth a try:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gasket-Leak-Se...d=p3286.c0.m14
phasesonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 22:55   #8
Laney760
VOC Member

From Phasesonix:

Thanks for that, I may well give it a try, I am unable to source the product recommended by the garage on the net anywhere, they did warn me it is hard to source and obviously don't want to let go of any of their few remaining bottles of it, it must be good!

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 01:15   #9
phasesonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneystrider View Post
From Phasesonix:

Thanks for that, I may well give it a try, I am unable to source the product recommended by the garage on the net anywhere, they did warn me it is hard to source and obviously don't want to let go of any of their few remaining bottles of it, it must be good!
Hi,

hope it works.he's got good feedback from selling them.
phasesonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 15:20   #10
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasesonix View Post
Hi,

hope it works.he's got good feedback from selling them.
Fingers crossed I may only need to use one of these products as a temporary measure, a member has offered to sell me a cylinder head off of a 740 at a great price, just waiting to confirm that I can put this head on my later model. Garage want just an extra £50 to fit the head on top of what they wanted to do the head gasket and fit cam belt. Some people may think I'm nuts (they're probably right) to spend £750 on this car+ but I'm picking up a good diesel pump on Sunday for £28, going to have all the seals changed in it to that teflon type material and change my fuel lines (eventually) and run on biodiesel, I estimate the savings to be minimum 2 grand a year so all may turn out well in the end. Sometimes it's nice to have a vehicle thats a bit of a challenge and turns into a project than one which is reliable but boring, adds an extra element to life, lol..