Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

falling interior light

Views : 683

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 18:10   #1
PeteV70

Default falling interior light

My 2001 V70 rear passenger courtesy light keeps dropping down from the ceiling! I recenty did a 400+ mile round trip..no bother but every so often I see that it is hanging from its wires!

1) The roof lining appears to be made from corrugated card..should there be some kind of plastic or metal lip for the light fitting to snap over or are they all just expected to "clip" on to the card?

2) Also during the cold weather I noticed that the frost on the roof of the car defrosted right over the rear passenger light..does this suggest that some insulation is missing?

It is still under warranty but I'd like to go back in a position where I have some idea of what should be in place.
PeteV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 15:41   #2
PeteV70

Wink Haynes?

Thanks for viewing guys..but no replies :-( I've asked my kids for a Haynes Manual for my birthday...in the meantime could I be really cheeky and ask if someone have a peek in theirs for me. Birthday isn't till June. Cheers
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 18:11   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I can't access that info with vadis but I suspect that the lights are held in place by either:
1) Clips/protrusions from the unit that hold it in position in the head lining and or
2) A spring clip arrangement that does the above with two spring clips.

Therefore, either the springs are weak/bent and may be adjusted. Or the lining has been, over time, crushed/damaged rendering the retaining system ineffective...

A photo of the lamp and opening would help

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 19:38   #4
Bhowani 2
Bhowani

Default Rear Interior light...............

Haynes 12.14

Photos show (1) rear side parallel with the rear axle line (yes I know it's FWD) being prised open using 2 small bladed screwdrivers
(2) then depress the retaining clips and pull the front end down.

This implies that the rear end fits round the cardboard lining and the front is held in by a couple of clips, as mentioned above.

This is not a manoevre I have done, but you asked what Haynes said...!!

Bhowani
V70 LPG
Bhowani 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 17:37   #5
PeteV70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowani 2 View Post
Haynes 12.14

Photos show (1) rear side parallel with the rear axle line (yes I know it's FWD) being prised open using 2 small bladed screwdrivers
(2) then depress the retaining clips and pull the front end down.

This implies that the rear end fits round the cardboard lining and the front is held in by a couple of clips, as mentioned above.

This is not a manoevre I have done, but you asked what Haynes said...!!

Bhowani
V70 LPG
Thanks Des and thanks Bhowani, the fitting is exactly as desribed above and I think that the cardboard liner has probably compressed (laterally) so the two spring steel clips no longer have the same puchase that they once had. Typical...it aint dropped since the posting! Maybe it is a cold weather thing...I'll keep an eye on the temperature next time it drops. I may well have to make a shim to fit between the clips and the card. It would have made more sense if Volvo had fitted a thin shim-like material around the edge of the opening, I know its a small potatoes thing compared to some postings but its just irritating having my interior light occassionally swinging from the ceiling.

Thanks for looking..much appreciated.

Pete
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:51   #6
V70RMW
Master Member

I found once removed it is very difficult to clip back into place in the roof lining - as the lining keeps pushing up as you push up the unit. I thinK i'd seen a suggestion somewhere of dealers using double sided tape against the roof but didn't need to do that myself.
V70RMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 20:13   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

If it continues to be an issue, what you could do is to add/fit a couple of metal spring clips that fit over the cardboard of the head lining, but which are small enough to remain undetected/invisible.
This would eliminate the issue of the cardboard compressing and not holding the light in position. May make it a bit more difficult to refit or remove the light after mind, but something to think about...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote