Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rose ... The 164

Views : 4449

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 20:27   #1
Dylan144GT

Default Rose ... The 164

She is finally home! Yahoo!

Had her for about a week now and she is wonderful! Unfortunately she has been in the garage since she pretty much got home. We've had to recondition that clutch.

One peculiar thing thing we have come across is that she has solid front discs! I was under the impression that all 164 front brakes were ventilated front brakes! Can anyone shed some light on this please? They are Girling brakes. Perhaps early models were solid brake equipped? But that wouldn't make sense as this is a '72 model.

Another thing, can someone please post pics of original RHD engine bays? I would like to get her as close as possible. Not that there is much that looks out of place, would just like to confirm and I suppose it is a bit of curiosity.

Dylan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01144.JPG (382.8 KB, 77 views)
Dylan144GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 20:59   #2
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Congratulations!

Rough, quick comments:

- 1972?.. What's your chassisno.? wheels and steering wheel, head rests look pre 1972 models..
- vent. disk came with the 1972 model...

- what's with that front bumper?.. looks like a bended rear bumper or a 140 front one?.. (nice bumper-overriders on top.. those are originally accessorie items for the rear bumper..)

I think your 164 is a 1971 model..

More pictures, thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 21:13   #3
Dylan144GT

Hi ClassicVolvoShop

Thanks, really excited about her! She is a one owner car too! I think you are right, I think she is a '71 model that was sold and registered in '72. I'm told by JohnH that the bumper that you commonly know with the gape is the European style bumper. I quite like this variation though. More pics here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=67279

Here is the chassi number: 1641349 U
S-Code: 5426
Engine Number: 4969 53 17677

Dylan
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 22:24   #4
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Down it's history it must have got newer doors..

As JohnH points out in the other thread: Your 164 also have the very sought after accessorie headrests in back..

Re the extra knobs etc. - post some interior pictures! Thanks. I think JohnH is right on the chromed plates - it looks like the car could have had wipers for the front lights...

Type code/designation (not chassisnumber):

164 - obvious..
1 - B30A
3 - without sun roof
4 - M400 gearbox
9 - RHD - "box model" - for final assempling in Australia, Malaysia or SA.
U - stands for 1971 model.

S-code 5426 - well... had it been 5420 it would have been "Speciel items for SA"....

I'm VERY sure, the S-code is NOT....again: NOT, a code for that black plastic door mirror...

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Jul 13th, 2009 at 22:26.
ClassicVolvoShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 22:32   #5
john h
VOC Member

Wink

Hi Dylan,

Well, about time too!

She looks great. Why the change of name to Rose? I thought DP was better!

Only the 164E has vented discs. It's a bolt-on upgrage if you can find the parts. Very worthwhile too; when I had my '69 carb 164 there's a long fast downhill road with a junction at the end and it was a b!tch to stop on the solid discs (plenty of rumbling, and sometimes smoke, but not much deceleration!). Swapped on an E crossmember and it was fine, a big difference.

Any driving impressions so far? Have you had the buttock clenching understeer moment yet?

That really is a lovely car; I'm glad you've got her.

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 22:49   #6
john h
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicVolvoShop View Post
Down it's history it must have got newer doors..

As JohnH points out in the other thread: Your 164 also have the very sought after accessorie headrests in back..

Re the extra knobs etc. - post some interior pictures! Thanks. I think JohnH is right on the chromed plates - it looks like the car could have had wipers for the front lights...

Type code/designation (not chassisnumber):

164 - obvious..
1 - B30A
3 - without sun roof
4 - M400 gearbox
9 - RHD - "box model" - for final assempling in Australia, Malaysia or SA.
U - stands for 1971 model.

S-code 5426 - well... had it been 5420 it would have been "Speciel items for SA"....

I'm VERY sure, the S-code is NOT....again: NOT, a code for that black plastic door mirror...
Dylan,

Except for the road wheels (and the mirror!) all looks correct for a '72 - including the doors.

The new dashboard and interior came in '73 but the safety doorhandles came a year earlier. Here's a Volvo promo shot of a '72 Euro 164.

As for the wheels, the SA factory was probably using up stock of the old style rims before changing over. Having said that, from the angle of the photo, Rose's rims actually look a bit wider than those early design wheels in Europe, so maybe it was an SA feature, like the bumper. Can you see any markings on them, or measure how wide they are?

The '71 chassis number?... probably a changeover car? Maybe they marked them as '71s until every 1972 feature was being fitted on the production line?

Could 5426 possibly indicate a special-order colour? Maybe the Swedish 164 club could shed light on that. Or was 5426 something to do with headlamp wipers.

Cheers

John

Last edited by john h; Jul 13th, 2009 at 22:57.
john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 22:57   #7
Dylan144GT

ClassicVolvoShop

Your comment about the special code and the door mirror really gave me a chuckle! Don't worry, I am in the process of fixing that! Original mirrors are soon to be put on! Thanks for that info on the chassis and engine number! I have seen other local cars here with the same plates to cover the wiper holes, maybe the assembly line/dealerships did that to cover the holes when the option wasn't wanted?

The documentation that came with the car is astounding! Original invoice, original letter of thanks by the dealership for the purchase of the car, instruction manual and two brochures of the 164 and the 144 form when the original owners were deciding which car to buy! Plus a Haynes manual.

Will post some interior pics soon.

JohnH

Yup, it has been a long wait! No, no driving impressions yet. Atleast not solid ones. The clutch slipped really badly and so we simply drove her home and parked her in the garage. We have taken the gearbox out and have redone the clutch. It just needs to be reassembled. Should be done by the end of the week. That should be momentous! Looking forward to that! Then its just odds and ends really!

I will be looking out for that "buttock clenching understeer moment"! There were signs of it on the way home!

Dylan
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 23:19   #8
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john h View Post
Except for the road wheels (and the mirror!) all looks correct for a '72 - including the doors.
- I disagree.. Steering wheel is for sure pre '72 - so is wide head rest ('72 models had the narrow ones) - and so on.. But the absolute deffinitive is the U designation - that means 1971 model.

Quote:
As for the wheels, the SA factory was probably using up stock of the old style rims before changing over.
Narhh.. Ain't buying that - The SA plant was an assemply plant, not production - the Volvo's where shipped as "box-models" with the wheels I'm sure - and the wheels on Rose looks to be even earlier than 1971.. (1971 came the 5,5" wheels with the center-screw hub cap)

Quote:
The '71 chassis number?... probably a changeover car? Maybe they marked them as '71s until every 1972 feature was being fitted on the production line?
No way.. (I mean no offence John).

Without meaning to hurt Dylan's feelings - I'm sure that Rose got an "upgrade" down it's history - with a set of doors from a later model - wheels from what was arround looking good etc. etc.

The front fender/wing emblems are pre 1970 models (on both sides) - so I'm sure Rose has a few secrets inside too! ( - the door handles - the surrounding doesn't look chromed?.. indicating doors from a later 140 model maybe?)

Regarding the so called "Euro"-bumper etc. ... I haven't heard of that before.. Can you direct to some litterature?..
The standard swayed front bumper is featured in all the "Overseas" (= Australia, New Zealand, SA, Malaysia, Japan) brochures I have and nothing's mentioned in parts catalog...

Dylan:
- Re the exterior color - your type designation plate should tell that too.. ?
- Re the GT instrument.. Pictures!!??..
- That front bumper.. Can you make a close up on the center part (from above)? - It looks very pointy (was it a 140 front bumper that was bended into shape, maybe?)

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Jul 14th, 2009 at 00:03. Reason: Adding questions...
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:02   #9
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan144GT View Post
She is finally home! Yahoo!

Had her for about a week now and she is wonderful! Unfortunately she has been in the garage since she pretty much got home. We've had to recondition that clutch.

One peculiar thing thing we have come across is that she has solid front discs! I was under the impression that all 164 front brakes were ventilated front brakes! Can anyone shed some light on this please? They are Girling brakes. Perhaps early models were solid brake equipped? But that wouldn't make sense as this is a '72 model.

Another thing, can someone please post pics of original RHD engine bays? I would like to get her as close as possible. Not that there is much that looks out of place, would just like to confirm and I suppose it is a bit of curiosity.

Dylan
Looks a good one , glad another saved.
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 17:53   #10
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

A few updates:

S 5426 - among other parts, is a special license plate holder.. it's a little cover in the center console (so that the car is ready/prepared for AC installation) - nothing other than trivial little details for the specific market: SA.

Engine number: 496953 xxxxx = B30A with M400/410 1969-71 models.
So engine is "matching number".

Regarding the front bumper - the curved front bumper where standard on all markets up to and including the 1972 models - the 1973 models had a different one on some markets (like SA) and was chromed steel (?)

Dylan, Maybe you can confirm if it's steel or alloy?

Regarding the little covers that might be from head light wiper set - The position of the holes in the front indicates the later style wiper set - so car wasn't born with the wiper set.
Dylan - your extra switches may very well be the wiper set (pictures?)..

Last edited by ClassicVolvoShop; Jul 14th, 2009 at 18:00.