Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo Car UK Policy on ETM Replacement

Views : 42338

Replies : 212

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:29   #191
colinandrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatLadZ View Post
conscience got the bettr of me and i opted to pay volvo.
but while doing it they messed my car up by breaking a wire in the loom and it shorted out and blew a track in the ECU
I took it to Volvo for diagnostics and was without my car for 2 weeks.
They rang me after 2 weeks and said they cant find the fault and only charged me 1 hours labour £99.80 inc vat.
I took the car upto work and it took me 20 mins with a basic meter to find the wire they repaired and trace it back to the ECU.
Emailed Volvo Uk and they called me and i put them straight on what had happened and they compensated me the £100 back in vouchers but i said stuff that im not happy at being without my car for 2 weeks and not offered a coutesy car.
I explained that i am a company director and had to hire a car.
I said £200 would be more realistic.
Eventually they agreed to £200
I was looking to buy a new C70 D5 now this customer services has made me look towars other marques.

Bit confused.... Did you manage to do the carbon paint on the ends, as previous post said you managed at least 450miles or am I mistaking it for something else..

Is this worth doing as I have been quoted £500 for replacement ETS now.

Cheers
Col
H 2.0 S6 TT Supra Roadster
02 Suzuki GSXR1000K2
colinandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:04   #192
mikealder
VOC Member

Col, try a quote from bba as they will be cheaper than the costs you have do far, go to the previous page in this thread and in one of my posts you will find a link to their site.

I very much doubt painting a resistive material on to the mylar film in the potentiometer will work, if the resistance isn't as expected by the ECU it will return to limp mode at best, at worst it wont run at all - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:10   #193
colinandrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Col, try a quote from bba as they will be cheaper than the costs you have do far, go to the previous page in this thread and in one of my posts you will find a link to their site.

I very much doubt painting a resistive material on to the mylar film in the potentiometer will work, if the resistance isn't as expected by the ECU it will return to limp mode at best, at worst it wont run at all - Mike
Hi Mike.

Tried BBA yesterday morning...the guy I spoke didn't really sound like he knew what I was talking about and it worried me a bit, He was talking about repairing the throttle body only and I told him it was ETS part and he didn't have a clue.

He asked for the part number so I will get that today and maybe call them back.

Thanks for the info though much appreciated.

Col
02 Suzuki GSXR1000K2
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 12:29   #194
mikealder
VOC Member

bba did a good job on my faulty ETM, the Electronic Throttle Motor (ETM) is the unit that contains the pots that wear out due to poor design, if you asked for an ETS repair then I can see why there is some confusion. The ETM is just one part of the ETS system as a whole.
They repair the ETM by changing the faulty pots, send you the unit back so there is no software loading involved, the non turbo models are a doddle to remove/ replace, turbo engines are a little more difficult to access the ETM but it's certainly a simple DIY task to do - Mike
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 20:25   #195
FatLadZ

Quote:
bba did a good job on my faulty ETM, the Electronic Throttle Motor (ETM) is the unit that contains the pots that wear out due to poor design, if you asked for an ETS repair then I can see why there is some confusion. The ETM is just one part of the ETS system as a whole.
They repair the ETM by changing the faulty pots, send you the unit back so there is no software loading involved, the non turbo models are a doddle to remove/ replace, turbo engines are a little more difficult to access the ETM but it's certainly a simple DIY task to do - Mike
ETM = Electronic Throttle Module

Yes i did have success with some carbon painted ones but was afraid it may just be too unsafe and id imaginemy insurance company wouldnt be best pleased.
In the end it was best to opt for getting the job done correctly (Even though the cowboys at volvo messed my car up).
Id advise against painting the resistor films.
FatLadZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 22:54   #196
colinandrews

Quote:

Phoned them today... spoke to someone different... all seems good

Bench test first to make sure the throttle body is faulty
If found faulty then they will recondition and post back

Gonna remove it and send it of next week so will let you know how much and the outcome..

Thanks for all your help..

FatLadZ: Wise decision I guess, how long did it last out of curiosity before you had it replaced?.
02 Suzuki GSXR1000K2
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 07:07   #197
mikealder
VOC Member

Have a look at This Thread before you take the unit out of the car as it contains some handy pictures and tips on what to do.

As for the "bench test" keep in mind its done at room temperature which is considerably cooler than when the ETM is bolted to the engine, my faulty ETM was passing the bench test but was undriveable once the car got up to temperature, when bba phoned me to say there was nothing wrong with the ETM on the bench I instructed them to change the pots anyway as I was confident as to what was wrong - Mike
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 09:16   #198
colinandrews

Quote:
Have a look at This Thread before you take the unit out of the car as it contains some handy pictures and tips on what to do.

As for the "bench test" keep in mind its done at room temperature which is considerably cooler than when the ETM is bolted to the engine, my faulty ETM was passing the bench test but was undriveable once the car got up to temperature, when bba phoned me to say there was nothing wrong with the ETM on the bench I instructed them to change the pots anyway as I was confident as to what was wrong - Mike
Thanks for the info... will ask them to change them any way as the bench test fee will be included in the final price if found faulty.

Cheers

Col
02 Suzuki GSXR1000K2
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 19:32   #199
Mucky pups

Looking for some advice. I have a W Reg (2000) V70 2.4 Classic Auto which has been driving perfectly well until this afternoon. A couple of miles into my journey home from work the ETS light came on and my car was very rough when idling at junctions. It felt like it would stall but didn't and was OK once I got moving, had no problem doing 45mph in it. Got home and parked on the drive, stopped the engine and when I restarted it the light was off.

Having looked on the forum it is obvious that this is a common fault and I have looked through the receipts which came with my car and can see that in 2004 at 78000 miles the throttle valve was cleaned to rectify cutting out at a cost of £34.

The car now has 143k on the clock and is over 10 years old so I guess it falls outside of the extended warranty but has anyone suceeded in getting to Volvo to do a discounted repair?

Failing that can anyone recommend a good independant volvo garage in the Warrington area so I can compare their price against the main dealer. (I wouldn't be able to repair myself no matter how easy it is!)

Thanks
Mucky pups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 19:45   #200
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

why are people still paying for new ETMs when you can get a perfectly good second hand one and fit that for a fraction of the cost then if required get the relevent software, its beyond me why people are prepared to pay dealer prices when there is an alternative.

i have done a write up on the alternative and people have done as i have advised to good effect.

even when u do go to the dealer your NOT getting a new unit it is reconditioned.

rant over
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote