Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driving tips for towing with a manual

Views : 1513

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 20:12   #1
MikeS100
Premier Member

Default Driving tips for towing with a manual

Hi all,

I'm not new to towing in general but I will be towing a caravan for the first time later this year (1325kg fully loaded). I'm planning on using my C70 T5 manual as the tow car so that we can cruise around with the top down while away. I know there is more than enough power from the engine but I'm after tips to make sure I'm using the gears properly and don't put to much strain on anything. So, what sort of rev range should I be aiming for with the caravan on the back? I'm guessing the crucial thing is to make sure that I change down and get into the power band in plenty of time before a hill and try to avoid having to change down on the hill itself. Also, is 5th gear possible when cruising on the motorway or am I going to be looking at 4th all the way?

And for stopping power I've got the standard 280mm brakes at the moment, any issues with them bringing it all to a stop? I've been considering the 302mm conversion for a while anyway so I may well fit that before we go, but if I don't get round to it will the standard set up cope ok? Planning on going to North Wales so could be going up and down a few steep hills.

Thanks, Mike
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2015, 23:37   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I tow with an xc70 and previously a v70, both diesel. In truth the cars never knew the caravan was on the hook, had to use slightly more revs pulling away on a hill but other than that drove as normal. Brakes are more than adequate, my van is 1460kg and standard brakes on both cars, steep resent I drop a gear and use the engine breaking to supplement the pedal.
5 or 6 the gear possible on motorway though xc not over happy at 60 in 6th, wanted to do 65 to be comfortable, fuel or points, you pay one way or another.
Of course you're being a T5 afraid my experience not very relevant, not owned a petrol car for 15 years but would think inside of 10 miles you will of sussed it.
Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2015, 11:11   #3
MikeS100
Premier Member

Thanks Paul, the torque from the T5 is pretty similar to the TDi so hopefully it won't make much difference then
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 11:31   #4
sunshinetours

Presumably the car is suitably rated as a convertible to tow 1325kg?

I would imagine power will be the least of your worries with a T5 and manual is fine, exactly as you say use gears to keep car in right power band. Drop a cog on downhill sections to keep van in check

What probably is more relevant is ensuring your van isn't overloaded (weighbridge is only proper way of checking) as presumably you won't have a huge amount of luggage space in a C70?

Either way enjoy your caravanning, we love it!
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 12:48   #5
DC850
VOC Member

I use to tow a 1400Kg van with am 850 SE Auto 2.0ltr, which was LPG converted. That pulled and stopped without issue. Only problem was the weight was at 95% so I would feel a lorry go passed. Could accelerate up a 15% hill, so your T5 would not have power issue. But do check the weight ratio, I have tow for a number of years so could do the 95%. As this is your first time with a van on the back keep to 85%.
And enjoy your van
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 23:18   #6
heyskull
Heyskull

I currently tow with my 140bhp V70 petrol manual my twin axle Bessacarr with a loaded weight of about 1250Kg.
To say you cannot feel the caravan on the rear is a complete load of nonsense no matter what combination. And to be honest I wouldn't feel safe if I couldn't feel it on the back.
You are nearly doubling the weight of the entire vehicle so you are gonna feel it!
Yes mine is a little more underpowered but will comfortably cruise at the legal towing limits up and down hills.
Keeping the revs up and in the sweet spot is the answer.
Never let it labour and change down early.
Yes the engine has to be revving higher before an up change but this comes with practice and every engine has differing characteristics.
I would try to keep your weight down as much as possible as the C70 cannot carry as much luggage as say the V70 which means you will be loading the caravan.
Also and this is the big thing and I don't think it has been mentioned.
Load the caravan properly aiming for as much of your luggage and gear to be situated over the axle of the caravan this will improve stability and help on accelaration and braking.

SC
heyskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 23:27   #7
MikeS100
Premier Member

Thanks guys. I Was worried for a bit as I hadn't really thought about the weight ratio and working it out 1325kg is right on the 85%, but luckily I got the weight of the caravan wrong! Checked the figures and its actually 1250kg fully loaded, not sure where I got the 1325kg from! The car is listed online as 1565kg (I'm too lazy to go outside and read the plate!) so that's 80%.

Luggage is a worry as there certainly isn't a lot of room in the boot of the C70, and with 2 kids in the back the rear seats are not available, but the caravan can take 230kg of luggage/equipment so that should be more than enough for our trip, plus I will be able to put clothes and other little bits in the boot. I've got the V70 as a back up if we need the space, and with an auto box and TDi engine it would probably be an easier and cheaper drive, but hopefully we can go in the C70.

Can't wait to try it out now! The main trip to Wales will be in the summer holidays but hopefully we will get a couple of weekends away before then. Got a couple of bits to sort out as well like fitting a stabiliser hitch and I'm not sure what to do about the electrics as I only have single electrics on the car at the moment, but I'll probably leave that for now and just tow without the fridge etc being powered.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 10:43   #8
volvo145
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
I currently tow with my 140bhp V70 petrol manual my twin axle Bessacarr with a loaded weight of about 1250Kg.
To say you cannot feel the caravan on the rear is a complete load of nonsense no matter what combination. And to be honest I wouldn't feel safe if I couldn't feel it on the back.
.SC

What model of twin axle Bessacarr caravan have you got that only weighs about 1250 kg fully loaded ?
You can pull a van up to 100% of the towing vehicles plated weight.
If you are a novice its better to stick to the 85% limit for safety imo.
You should also if the combo is well balanced not notice much difference with a caravan on the back or not. The exceptions to that is high sided vehicles passing or going down hills and cross winds.
MikeS100 you should be fine with your combo therefore enjoy and relax your time away.
volvo145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 12:11   #9
sunshinetours

According to Parkers the max tow weight for your car is 1600kg so you should be OK with 1250kg.

Two things:-
1. The fuel consumption will be eye watering compared to V70 towing I would imagine
2. The luggage space for a main holiday including 2 kids with a small boot and 230kg of payload will be very tight I would imagine

Don't forget your payload presumably includes stuff such as gas bottles, battery, wheelclamp(s), EHU, awning etc

I really would look at a practice run if I were you!
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 12:42   #10
DC850
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyskull View Post
You are nearly doubling the weight of the entire vehicle so you are gonna feel it!

SC
Try a XC90 with a Avondale Perle (92 model) at 960Kg, 45% and see if you notice it?

With my 1400Kg on the back of my XC90 65%. going up hill etc is not really noticed, its just like having a car full of people and luggage.

Love to know which twin axle Bessacarr you have, Heyskill
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote