Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'Whine' from Air Con

Views : 2596

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:05   #1
Blaggy3780

Default 'Whine' from Air Con

I hope this is the right place to post for a 2011 XC70 SE D5 AWD

My first Volvo for a long time after a series of Mercedes E220 estates. Purchased in early January this year. Very pleased so far, great MPG compared to Mercedes. low relative mileage of 55000 miles. Recently (passed 3-4 weeks) there has been a whine in a specific rev range...1000-1500 rpm when the air con is turned on. It's not loud, but there and very annoying and stops immediately air con is turned off. It's not the blowers as they all work fine without the noise when selecting hot and cold blowing. Always worse when the car is warmed up. Went recently to Main Dealer in Colchester who confirmed the fault and then with a suspect noisy aircon Expansion Valve this was replaced at a cost of £313 but the noise is still there which is disappointing. Before I get into a too-ing a fro-ing from the garage does anyone else have experience of this problem or any helpful advice. Having 'googled' it comes back frequently as exchange air-con compressor. Thank you.
Blaggy3780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 15:36   #2
krzemien

See last three posts in this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=133581&page=2

Perhaps it's worth trying?
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 16:16   #3
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

Default Try having the aircon re-gassed

For a car that is 6 years old with noisy aircon it is about 70% likely to be low gas and/or gas contaminated with moisture. The first step is to have it purged and re-gassed at a garage with the correct equipment. It does not have to be a Volvo dealer. The cost is going to be around £90. If you are lucky that will give you 4 or 5 more trouble free years.
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 16:58   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaggy3780 View Post
I hope this is the right place to post for a 2011 XC70 SE D5 AWD

My first Volvo for a long time after a series of Mercedes E220 estates. Purchased in early January this year. Very pleased so far, great MPG compared to Mercedes. low relative mileage of 55000 miles. Recently (passed 3-4 weeks) there has been a whine in a specific rev range...1000-1500 rpm when the air con is turned on. It's not loud, but there and very annoying and stops immediately air con is turned off. It's not the blowers as they all work fine without the noise when selecting hot and cold blowing. Always worse when the car is warmed up. Went recently to Main Dealer in Colchester who confirmed the fault and then with a suspect noisy aircon Expansion Valve this was replaced at a cost of £313 but the noise is still there which is disappointing. Before I get into a too-ing a fro-ing from the garage does anyone else have experience of this problem or any helpful advice. Having 'googled' it comes back frequently as exchange air-con compressor. Thank you.
more than likely the AC Pump bearings ... especially when you said " stops immediately air con is turned off" gas noises tend to keep going for a second or two after turning off and sound like a gurgle rather than a rough bearing .
what is the chassis number ? last 6 of the VIN ...
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 19:46   #5
Model flyer
Master Member

I'd go with andyg on that one especially if the system doesn't get as cold as it should. Aircon systems can loose gas very slowly be when low the pump cavitates causing a whine. I had a Kia that made a whine when the pump was on that stopped as soon as the desired pressure / temp was reached. Kia wanted upwards of £500 for pump ! I had a local air con garage purge and regas the system and it was silent and much much colder. It's amazing how you don't notice systems failing bad it's so gradual. If it still gets icy cold then budget for a recon pump or new bearings .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 09:17   #6
Blaggy3780

132066 ?
Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 09:24   #7
Blaggy3780

When the expansion valve was replaced the A/C refrigerant was drained and refilled is that not the same as the gas?
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 09:28   #8
Blaggy3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model flyer View Post
I'd go with andyg on that one especially if the system doesn't get as cold as it should. Aircon systems can loose gas very slowly be when low the pump cavitates causing a whine. I had a Kia that made a whine when the pump was on that stopped as soon as the desired pressure / temp was reached. Kia wanted upwards of £500 for pump ! I had a local air con garage purge and regas the system and it was silent and much much colder. It's amazing how you don't notice systems failing bad it's so gradual. If it still gets icy cold then budget for a recon pump or new bearings .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
more than likely the AC Pump bearings ... especially when you said " stops immediately air con is turned off" gas noises tend to keep going for a second or two after turning off and sound like a gurgle rather than a rough bearing .
what is the chassis number ? last 6 of the VIN ...
last six are 132066 Thank you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 09:30   #9
Blaggy3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzemien View Post
See last three posts in this thread:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=133581&page=2

Perhaps it's worth trying?
Thank you for these. I'll take a look
Old Apr 23rd, 2017, 13:16   #10
Blaggy3780

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg View Post
For a car that is 6 years old with noisy aircon it is about 70% likely to be low gas and/or gas contaminated with moisture. The first step is to have it purged and re-gassed at a garage with the correct equipment. It does not have to be a Volvo dealer. The cost is going to be around £90. If you are lucky that will give you 4 or 5 more trouble free years.
Thanks for your advice.When the expansion valve was replaced the A/C refrigerant was drained and refilled is that not the same as the gas?

Tags
air con, noise, xc70