Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TF-80SC Fluid Change Done

Views : 40523

Replies : 82

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Apr 1st, 2012, 00:00   #1
PeteB1
VOC Member

Default TF-80SC Fluid Change Done

I got around to doing a sump dump and fill on my 6 speed TF-80SC auto box today. This is for the D5, some of the components that have to be removed to get to the various plugs may be different on other engine variants.

Tools Required:

4 litres of JWS3309 fluid of your choice - I went with the Volvo fluid as it was cheaper than either Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV.
Torx 40 driver (for level check plug as part of the integral level check/drain plug).
Torx 55 driver (for filler plug).
17mm hex sump plug removal tool.
Long flexi funnel.
Measuring jugs (to check amount removed and measure same amount for addition).

As it was the first time and I couldn't find much info on the 6 speed (there is loads for the 5 speed) it took a while as I didn't want to get into a problem point of no return so this was my procedure:

First, remove the undertray and check the level plug loosens OK but don't remove at this stage. Then get the car as level as possible.

Then, remove the air filter housing so the filler is accessible and loosen the filler plug with the relevant Torx driver. It was quite tight but came undone. ONLY remove the Torx 55 plug, don't touch any other bolt head.

Having checked all this, then put the drain bowl underneath, removed the level check plug fully and let the little bit of fluid drain out into the bowl. Once this stops, then undo the drain plug with the hex tool and let the main bulk of the fluid drain out. I left this about an hour to let as much drain down as possible.

Clean the drain plug and level plug, re-install and tighten them both.

Using one of the measuring jugs, measure the amount of fluid that was drained. I was surprised to find that only 2.5 litres had drained from the sump, a little less than the 3 litres or so that those with 5 speed versions often say drains from the sump.

Clean around the filler plug and remove it. Install the long flexi funnel. The filler tube is angled so the funnel cannot be pushed in too far.

Using another clean measuring jug, carefully measure out and fill with the same quantity of fluid through the funnel. Once done, re-install and tighten the filler plug.

Re-assemble the air filter etc, then start the engine and check everything is OK.

As my car is on 58k miles, I intend now to run the car for about 500 miles and repeat the process. As I only got 2.4 litres out, I may even do a third change after another 500 miles or so, then at least a quantity of fluid equivalent to the total box volume has been changed. After the third change, I will do a proper level check even though careful measurement has been used in checking fluid removed and matching the amount added as I have no record of the level being checked prior to the change.

The 6 speed is claimed by Volvo (but not necessarily other manufacturers who use it) as "fill for life".

I attach a photo of what came out next to what went in.

ATF Comp.jpg

Now, with my limited but not all that good experience of auto boxes in the past, I wouldn't fancy leaving that in and expecting to get several 100k miles without a problem. That fluid smelt and looked not dissimilar to what I remember removing from Borg Warner 35 boxes I had in a couple of cars in the 1980's. In both cases, these boxes were giving trouble around the 100k mile mark. In one case, terminal failure soon followed, in the other I sold the car before it got that far.

So, I leave others to decide on the validity of "fill for life" when a large annual mileage is being done.