Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800es

Views : 1781

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2022, 13:14   #11
VolvoRoyS

Went for a drive today. As expected oil pressure warning light came on as I switched on the ignition and the oil temperature gauge did nothing. On start up the oil pressure light went out. And when the engine warmed the oil temperature gauge started to show a value and eventually moved up to almost a quarter of the scale. Two problems solved.

Roy
VolvoRoyS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VolvoRoyS For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 16:18   #12
c1800
Master Member

Roy, after reading through this, I’m curious where the connection/sender for the oil Temp is on your car if it’s not in the sump? You referenced that it was connected to the “sender” in the block to the rear of the oil filter, but AFAIK that’s the thermal time sensor for the DJet system, not the oil temp sender/gauge.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 16:51   #13
VolvoRoyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1800 View Post
Roy, after reading through this, I’m curious where the connection/sender for the oil Temp is on your car if it’s not in the sump? You referenced that it was connected to the “sender” in the block to the rear of the oil filter, but AFAIK that’s the thermal time sensor for the DJet system, not the oil temp sender/gauge.
It's immediately below the thermal timer switch (TTS), about 4 inches down. Seems to be unusual but it is giving me a reading on the oil temperature gauge. I am now very familiar with the the TTS having had to source not only a new TTS but also the spacer and connect up the wiring. I no longer need to hold down a switch to activate the cold start valve; I've got it back to how was from new. I just turn the key and it starts.

Roy
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 16:56   #14
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRoyS View Post
It's immediately below the thermal timer switch (TTS), about 4 inches down. Seems to be unusual but it is giving me a reading on the oil temperature gauge. I am now very familiar with the the TTS having had to source not only a new TTS but also the spacer and connect up the wiring. I no longer need to hold down a switch to activate the cold start valve; I've got it back to how was from new. I just turn the key and it starts.

Roy
Hi, sound like that’s the draincock location for the coolant in the block. You’re getting a reading of the coolant/block, not the oil temp. Since you have no bung in the oilpan/sump , likely someone has replaced that in the past.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 18:03   #15
142 Guy
Master Member

I am thinking the same thing as c1800. Attached is a photo of the right side of my B20E engine (the B20E does not use the thermal timer switch that was applied to the B20F). That port that is level with and about 3 -4 " to the left of the oil filter is the block drain for the coolant. If you have a temperature sensor in that port, you are getting a mixed engine coolant / block wall temperature, not an oil temperature.

If you wanted something closer to the oil temperature, you could put a brass tee fitting in the port for the oil switch with the temperature sender on one side of the tee and the oil pressure switch on the other side. This would still be a blended oil / block wall temperature. A true oil temperature requires the bung in the side of the oil pan with the temperature probe sticking into and surrounded by oil. If you don't spend a lot of time at a race track with high speed driving, oil temperature isn't really all that useful. You can leave the sender where it is and just ignore the gauge and accept the minor hassle of having to remove the sender to drain the block when you do your 5 year coolant flush.

Your car does appear to have had a level of creativity visited on it by a previous owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B 20 E right side (LC).JPG (168.0 KB, 21 views)
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 20:10   #16
VolvoRoyS

Yes, that is where I thought the sender was for the oil temperature gauge; that's where I have hooked it up to. I notice that there is no sender in the sump of that engine, at least not on the right hand side as in my car.

So that is the drain for coolant?

Perhaps you can conform that the sensor for the water temperature gauge is in the cylinder head at the back above the position for the TTS?

Roy
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 16:50   #17
142 Guy
Master Member

I have a 1971 B20E which does not use the thermal timer (cold start is controlled by the D jet controller). On the B20E the coolant temperature sensor is located at the very back of the head on the right side. On that picture of my B20E that I attached, you can see the very last head bolt on the right side of the engine. The hole for the coolant temperature sensor is just to the left of that head bolt (looking down from up top). The sensor is not installed and the hole is just barely visible in the photo.

I expect the B20F has the sensor hole in the same location.

The P1800 is the only Volvo that I am aware of that uses an oil temperature sensor.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Aug 19th, 2022 at 16:52.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 19:42   #18
cassell
Member since 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRoyS View Post
Yes, that is where I thought the sender was for the oil temperature gauge; that's where I have hooked it up to. I notice that there is no sender in the sump of that engine, at least not on the right hand side as in my car.

So that is the drain for coolant?

Perhaps you can conform that the sensor for the water temperature gauge is in the cylinder head at the back above the position for the TTS?

Roy
Roy, my ES isn't here at the moment (camshaft and timing gears being replaced by my son's workshop) but it's a 73 B20E and from memory most definitely has the oil temperature switch in the sump.

I actually fitted a new one a number of years ago as the connecting tab was broken off, Brookhouse had switches on the shelf at that time at sensible cost. The wire was connected to a junction block on the bulkhead somewhere near the steering column hole from memory.

Mine has the water temperture sender at the back of the head, the D Jet temperature sensor at the front of the head near the AAV, and like yours, the TTS in the engine block towards the back and above the coolant drain valve. Quite why your sump doesn't have a threaded union for the oil temp sensor is a mystery, I can only assume that a previous owner fitted a sump from a B20 engine from a lesser spec Volvo (140, 120 etc) for some reason?

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 21:40   #19
VolvoRoyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
Mine has the water temperature sender at the back of the head, the D Jet temperature sensor at the front of the head near the AAV, and like yours, the TTS in the engine block towards the back and above the coolant drain valve. Quite why your sump doesn't have a threaded union for the oil temp sensor is a mystery, I can only assume that a previous owner fitted a sump from a B20 engine from a lesser spec Volvo (140, 120 etc) for some reason?

Paul
I didn't get a lot of history with the car but did notice a receipt for a sump gasket in 2008, so it would seem that the sump has been off. No mention of a replacement sump but maybe the sump was changed at the same time.

Incidentally, I got talking to the owner of a dark green P1800S (I think it was) at the Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting who said you were the man to know when it comes to the 1800ES. So might need to call on your expertise from time to time; you are not far away in Middlewich.

Roy
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 21:46   #20
VolvoRoyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
I have a 1971 B20E which does not use the thermal timer (cold start is controlled by the D jet controller). On the B20E the coolant temperature sensor is located at the very back of the head on the right side. On that picture of my B20E that I attached, you can see the very last head bolt on the right side of the engine. The hole for the coolant temperature sensor is just to the left of that head bolt (looking down from up top). The sensor
Yes I thought that was the coolant sensor; temperature gauge on my car works as expected, rising to just under halfway when the engine is hot. Looks like I have a second coolant gauge in the guise of the oil temperature gauge. I assume that it is on a different scale as its reading lags behind. For now I am leaving it alone but at some point may source the correct sump.

Roy