Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

145 Auction - Help

Views : 7570

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2022, 15:23   #21
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Been following this discussion with interest, Steve. Based on no more than a gut feel, I too feel that five would be about right.

Having had several 140s myself back in the day - my first ever Volvo was a '72 145E - I strongly agree with 'ITSv40's assessment. Will be interested in what it makes on the day; you never know, you may bag a bargain!

Regards, John.
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 15:24   #22
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post

Trouble is, I'd have to ring myself as self employed.

Just spoken with auction house, and discussed vehicle further, and whilst they would not confirm reserve figure, they did advise a commission bid would need to be at the estimated range £7 - £9k.......

After sleeping on it last night, my initial excitement has been tempered somewhat, it already has a colour mismatch on nsf wing, so by the time you then effect a proper screen out scuttle repair, there would no doubt be a further mismatch.

I could quite easily see myself with my OCD tendencies, then wanting to look at a full glass out, and body stripped restoration and fully respray.

My ideal colour would have been a midnight/navy blue, with red interior, so whilst a respray would allow this, it then destroys the history of this vehicle that accounts for the cost.

Oh well, Now I'm considering registering to bid online, so would need to pay holding deposit, and hope bidding stays low, as if it got to £5k ish I think I'd take a punt on it, if it goes to estimate levels, then nothing lost.

Always assuming one doesn't get auction fever

Cheers
Steve
Sounds like a sensible approach, we’ve all seen people BUILD the car they want, £OUCH !😱
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 16:00   #23
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Been following this discussion with interest, Steve. Based on no more than a gut feel, I too feel that five would be about right.

Having had several 140s myself back in the day - my first ever Volvo was a '72 145E - I strongly agree with 'ITSv40's assessment. Will be interested in what it makes on the day; you never know, you may bag a bargain!

Regards, John.
Many thanks John,

I will indeed update once the auction is over, I just need to decide if I am willing to let the auction house hold onto around £700 for a week or so as you have to pay up front to be able to bid online, although to be fair you have to do that on a commission bid.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 16:07   #24
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
Sounds like a sensible approach, we’ve all seen people BUILD the car they want, £OUCH !😱
Oh yes, I can almost visualise the exact way it would go, as there is always one little thing that could be done to make it better, or the most expensive phrase of all, 'well whilst (whatever) is being done/replaced, we might as well do XYZ' = £££

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 16:27   #25
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Oh yes, I can almost visualise the exact way it would go, as there is always one little thing that could be done to make it better, or the most expensive phrase of all, 'well whilst (whatever) is being done/replaced, we might as well do XYZ' = £££

Cheers
Steve
I rebuilt a Series Land Rover, never again!🧐👍
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 16:34   #26
Moomoo
VOC Member

There’s a guy on eBay selling 10 Virgo wheels . He says he’s going to list a 145.

Sorry, no good at links.☹️
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 16:37   #27
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
About 10 years ago my son bought a XR3I convertible blind on ebay for £500. The intention was to enjoy it for the summer and then decide what to do with it - either strip for spares or move it on. We drove up to Carlisle to collect and first impression was good. He drove it for the summer months and realised the body shell was solid, but the cosmetics let it down. Too good to break, so he decided on a gentle restoration. Well, that turned into a total strip and rebuild to concours at about £5500. Madness at the time, he still has it and still in exceptional order.

Last edited by ITSv40; Aug 18th, 2022 at 17:59.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 19:09   #28
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
There’s a guy on eBay selling 10 Virgo wheels . He says he’s going to list a 145.

Sorry, no good at links.☹️
Just found the wheel listing and did chuckle at him now being free of his Volvo illness, we shall just have to wait and see how much of a 'peach' the 145 looks.

His location is spot on though, 'Surbiton' wasn't that where 'The Good Life' was set?? and If I recall Jerry had a mustard colour 145.....

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 19:17   #29
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
Steve
This is the most important thing you have said in this whole piece Steve - or anyone else come to that. The most important thing about projects (and older motor cars generally) is to establish one's aim and limitations from the outset, otherwise there is mission creep and the costs carry on drifting up. Before one knows it one has a thing of great beauty that is far too good to drive and owes £25,000... we have all seen it happen (and in these pages as well).

When I bought the RB (for 2 grand) I had an idea that I was not going to restore it, just sort it out, remove all the bling and not spend more than a grand. Here we are, nearly 3 years alter, I have spent £931 on it (plus about £10,000 of my (free) hobby time) and I've sold it for £4,500. Similarly for GAM, I bought the motor car for £3,750, had a budget of £1,500 and have a nice Amazon that will probably be the last motor car i drive in my dotage. I'm not crowing about doing well with buying and selling cars, just showing it is important to establish one's aim and limits from the outset.

I don't know anything much about 145s, but they are half way between Amazons and 240s - so I can extrapolate enough. This advertised motor car isn't perfect - but does it need to be? It is already 50odd years old - how much longer do you need it to last for? Does that little bit of rust on the scuttle matter much? You could rub it all down, treat it with some Kurust, a smear of filler and a bit of rattle can and it would last 15 years. Does the wing being a different shade matter much? It is just part of the patina - one of the motor car's badges of honour. Don't paint the motor car! You will ruin it and it you will never make the £3,000 back.

So, decide what you are trying to achieve. If you want a show winner then invest £20,000 in one someone has already got to that standard, spend the change from the £30,000 it will cost you to do the same on a trailer so you can tow it to car shows in Lincolnshire farmers' fields. If you want an interesting car to drive around then go up to £6,000 to buy this one (or whatever you are comfortable with ) and give yourself a grand budget to tinker with - but don't start taking windscreens out, changing the colour and buying chromed radiator shrouds.

Don't take this as advice about buying this motor car or not - I've never sat in a 145 - just think about what you are trying to achieve.

Good fortune,

Alan

PS. If I was in your position I might start looking for a 1983 (or there about) 244 or 245 GLE with low owners and miles for 2 grand. Sort it out on your driveway over the next 18 months with a budget of £750 and it will be worth £5,000 when you register it as an historic vehicle on 1 April 2024. Just an off the wall idea.

Last edited by Othen; Aug 18th, 2022 at 19:31. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 19:17   #30
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Just found the wheel listing and did chuckle at him now being free of his Volvo illness, we shall just have to wait and see how much of a 'peach' the 145 looks.

His location is spot on though, 'Surbiton' wasn't that where 'The Good Life' was set?? and If I recall Jerry had a mustard colour 145.....

Cheers
Steve
Correct , and Jerry was on 17k a year!😁