Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking brake saga - broken wiring loom, recall?? V90

Views : 4461

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2021, 00:39   #21
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadan View Post
Out of interest did you query the additional wear and tear on the transmission if you’ve no parking brake?

Unless I’m mistaken I presume the only thing stopping your car from rolling down a hill when parked is the auto box.

I’m guessing the manual says you shouldn’t rely on this? In my 2020’s V60 manual it says

Maybe I’m being unreasonable but I’d consider a loan car would be reasonable whiles they sort this out, pretty sure it’s an MOT failure for a start. Although I don’t know the t&cs of your warranty.

Of course maybe they’ll just give you a courtesy brick to put behind the wheels.

I did challenge the service contact regarding the potential total failure of the parking brake, and he suggested to leave it in P.
Fortunately, it’s parked on the flat and I’m doing little to no miles although not happy about it. Below a extract from the manual.

Quote:
In the event of a fault in the parking brake
Updated 23/07/2018
Contact an authorised Volvo workshop if it is not possible to release or apply the parking brake after several attempts.

An acoustic warning signal sounds when driving with the parking brake applied.

If the car has to be parked before a possible fault is rectified then the wheels must be turned as if parking on a hill and the gear selector must be in position P, or engage first gear if the car has a manual gearbox.
Old Aug 31st, 2021, 17:34   #22
J99kom87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steorbs View Post
Just to update, car has gone in today (repair tomorrow to collect saturday) and been given a S90 for a couple of days. Cant fault the dealer as mentioned in another post, however Volvo have let me down a bit.

They have agreed to 20% as goodwill. The dealer submitted for me that they should pay 100% and was hoping for somewhere near to the 70%ish as mentioned by others. for 2 months out of warranty i did hope for more.

Now, to keep or to sell it...hmm..

Hi bud hope your well, sorry to message you about this, my v90 is 3 months out of warranty and I’ve got the parking brake temporarily unavailable and auto hold service required warning

I can still activate the parking brake manually on and off, could you do this with yours?

How much was your bill if you don’t mind me asking?

I took it Volvo today who said they need to rebook it in for a diag at £95

I’m hoping it’s a software issue due to the fact I can still use it manually

Thanks

Bud
J99kom87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 16:21   #23
hari

Default Volvo XC90 2018 'Parking brake service required'

Hi All

My 2018 Volvo that was bought from a Volvo dealer less than 12 months ago came up with a message 'Parking brake service required'.

As the car was due for a service we took it in and asked them to have a look at this issue too.

The car is still under warranty - however we were told we will need to pay £170 diagnostic fee, and if the issue is covered by the warranty then this will be refunded.

We were then told the issue was a corroded parking brake wiring loom that will cost £1500 to replace, and corrosion is not covered by warranty.

Does this sound normal to you?

I have just received the option to extend my warranty at approximately £600 for another 12 months - I can't see the point!
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 18:27   #24
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post

We were then told the issue was a corroded parking brake wiring loom that will cost £1500 to replace, and corrosion is not covered by warranty.

!
..sadly yes. All warranties tend to have" excludes wear and tear" as weesel words so they can get out of meeting claims. I've NEVER seen an engineering failure that was not attributable to some wear/tear,even in incorrectly manufactured (design or material used) items.
I'd ask how many of your vehicle type had been returned due to this type of failure. When they proudly tell you they have never heard of this fault, suggest that volvo warrant their cars for 8 years against rust perforation, and take adequate rust proofing measures to ensure that timescale is achieved. The fact your handbrake loom failed to reach the 8 years that the rest of the car can achieve would indicate, faulty materials used, or faulty protection applied. What other reason could cause the failure?? Or are volvo so penny pinching they only protect the loom to last 3 years and its a serviceable item??? Therefore this is a genuine claim and should be sorted out at volvos cost.

Cheers Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 19:31   #25
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari View Post

As your car is a 2018 car I presume the warranty you refer to is the Volvo Extended Warranty. Like all so-called extended warranties it is actually an insurance policy, in this case provided by Car Care Plan.

Like all insurance policies it has exclusions and damage caused by corrosion is one of the exclusions.

Having said that, a wiring loom should not fail due to corrosion after four years.

I would ask for Volvo to cover the cost or to provide a contribution towards the cost - succeeding with the latter is more likely than the former.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 11:39   #26
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
Call me old fashioned but if they can get at the loom to do a temporary repair, why can't they do a permanent repair? Why the need for a new loom?
That's not what manufacturers do, especially with electrical stuff, imagine if the temp fix caused a fire! They'll just replace.

I remember a few years back having an Audi, I read that if an LED went in the instrument binnacle then the whole binnacle needed replaced! No wonder cars are so expensive lol
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 11:43   #27
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steorbs View Post
Just to update, car has gone in today (repair tomorrow to collect saturday) and been given a S90 for a couple of days. Cant fault the dealer as mentioned in another post, however Volvo have let me down a bit.

They have agreed to 20% as goodwill. The dealer submitted for me that they should pay 100% and was hoping for somewhere near to the 70%ish as mentioned by others. for 2 months out of warranty i did hope for more.

Now, to keep or to sell it...hmm..
I'd go to town on them, 20% is an insult. Was this ever a recall issue?? Has your car been serviced by Volvo, if so why wasn't it noticed, especially as it appears to be a 'common' issue.