Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

So I have smashed a rear side window - 940 Estate.

Views : 2709

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 4th, 2014, 13:17   #1
mikkey850

Unhappy So I have smashed a rear side window - 940 Estate.

Hello everyone,

After spending literally 3 days in rubbish weather changing the clutch on my newly acquired 940 turbo estate, sods law had to step in.

I parked my car at college, and come lunch time my car had been boxed in by a skip. As I tried to maneuver around it I misjudged just how long the overhang over the rear axle is, and as I turned away from the skip my rear (not rear door but rear rear) drivers side window caught the skip and smashed.

I was just wondering if these windows are bonded in or not and if anyone has had to replace one in the past? If so can it be done by me by getting a window from the scrappy or am I going to have to get the pro's in?

Regards,

Michael

P.s Ill try and upload some pictures when I am home.
mikkey850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 14:25   #2
Alasdair1
Master Member

If you getting a replacement some had the car aerial built In. Mine has its a 98 940 estate. I had a look at mine but can't work out if its glued in or not. Doesn't look too easy to do though. Check and see if your insurance covers it. It might come under windscreen cover etc.
Alasdair
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 15:10   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I believe it is a rubber seal as you need to fit the outer trim to the rubber before the fitting process (or you'll never get the trim in correctly!).

The built in aerial is on the near side rearmost estate window in the Uk/correct side of the road driving cars.
So if you have popped your drivers side window you should still be able to listen to radio..

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 15:11   #4
mikkey850

Alasdair, luckily the built in aerial is on the passenger side window on my car. I would enquiry with insurance but I'm worried that with the car only valued at £500 and the addition of a small dent on the rear panel just after the window they would simply write the car off rather than repair it! Happened to my 98 polo estate when a cyclist crashed in to my wing and dented it

Regards.

Michael.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 15:13   #5
mikkey850

Des.

I have removed the small metal trim off the left hand side / top of the window as OT was slightly twisted from impact. Are these windows not bonded in then? Because of not fingers crossed I can replace it myself!

Regards.

Michael.
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 16:43   #6
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Bonded

Rear side window is definately bonded.
Estates with an LPG tank in the spare wheel space usually have their spare wheel standing upright against the off side rear window, fixed with a rod and (wing) nut. If the nut is tightened too strong it is not uncommon that over time the window is pushed out. So I am sure it is bonded...
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 16:43   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Held in with tape maybe: 700/90 FAQ Body & Glass

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 16:45   #8
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I'm pretty sure they are bonded unfortunately.

If you are feeling like a challenge it isn't that hard to fit glass yourself but you need to find the correct stuff to bond it in.

I've had windscreens done by local companies for not much more then you have to pay for the excess so a side window shouldn't be too bad, it's just getting hold of a replacement one. If you were careful you could cut one from a scrap car ready for someone to fit it which would help the cost.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 18:13   #9
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Tap up a local windscreen fitter, see if they will part with the bonding compound. I'm sure it's poly butyl.

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 18:31   #10
Pete940
Ideal Volvo

I recently had to get the exact same window replaced due to not securing an engine I had lying in the boot!

Volvo decided it would be a brilliant idea to change the fitment 'method' for these rear side windows around '95 (I think).

So older cars have the type that you could potentially change yourself, whereas newer cars have the dreaded bonded window. A way that allows you to tell is to look at the trim around the window. One difference is that the trim on the newer type has a single painted strip running along the top and down the rear side of the window. On the older type, this section of trim is split into two parts.

Since mine is a newer one, and I didn't fancy shelling out mega bucks for a fancy bonded window from Volvo (not actually sure how much they cost), I chose to get an older style window from a scrapyard and then got a dodgy guy to bond it in place!

I can explain that in more detail if you'd like to replicate my dodgy ways!
Pete940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete940 For This Useful Post:

Tags
replacement, smashed, window