Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'98 T4 - Head Gasket & Left Amber lights permanently on....

Views : 736

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:45   #1
Leo2009

Default '98 T4 - Head Gasket & Left Amber lights permanently on....

Hi All,

After having a complete nightmare with my previous car (02 Omega) mostly with head gasket needing replacing and quoted circa £800 to fix, I bought my mate's '98 T4 for £300 figuring I would smoke about in that until I could afford to fix the Omega.

I have only had the T4 for a couple of weeks and really enjoy it, so now thinking I might keep it and shift the Omega on. But this morning, I was driving up the M40 from London and the left side amber lights (front/side/back) are sticking on as is the green indicator light on the dash console. They aren't flashing though. I was on the motorway and in a rush so haven't had chance to play with anything, but wanted to know if this is a common fault and are there any easy workarounds?

Whilst I had the bonnet up, I thought I would look at the dipstick (as stupidly didn't check when buying) and it was coated in yellow mayonnaise! So, again wanted to know if this is indicative of head gasket gone, or is this a common fault and something else to check before fixing. The water temperature seems fine and didn't move throughout the journey. I know from my Omega nightmare that there are other things on that engine that can cause a misdiagnosis of Head Gasket failure. Wondering if it is the same for the T4 engine.

Thirdly, if it is head gasket, how expensive a job is it on these engines?

I noticed that over the past few days it has been pulling strangely at low and high revs... sort of juddering as if it wasn't getting enough fuel through the line. Is this likely to be connected to the possible head gasket issue?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to these cars/engines and need to figure out the cheapest option to have a car that works. Rather than two on the driveway with HGs blown!

Thanks

Leo
Leo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:29   #2
coupeboy

Your indicator lights problem could be a number of things (obviously it's one thing but we don't know what is it yet!). The front and rear indicators are unconnected to the side markers. The side markers (set into the bumpers) come on with the ignition. These are not MoTable and you can ignore them. Indicators stuck on (when activated) could be indicative of a failed bulb or a failed switch as part of the column stalk. Otherwise I'm thinking stray earth. best thing is to get hold of a wiring diagram - best to buy the Haynes Manual if you're keeping the car.
The mayo on the dipstick is normal but could be exaserbated by a blocked oil breather system. If the oil is clean inside the cam cover/underside of the oil filler cap, there's nothing sinister looking (oil) in the coolant reservoir and you aren't losing water, you haven't got a head gasket problem (yet). Head gasket job on any ohc engine isn't going to be cheap. It's probably £200 in parts plus a days labour. On the bright side you'll have a fully sorted engine.
An engine running badly isn't unique to Volvo, it's indicative of: bad plugs (buy Volvos), bad plug leads (£40ish for a Volvo set), rubbish fuel (buy some 99 RON from Tescos or Shell V-Power), blocked/old air filter, blocked/old fuel filter - in other words, get it serviced!
coupeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 16:03   #3
SteveP
300 Maniac

Can't comment on the mayo/light problems.. but the hesitation I bet will be down to the fuel pump - they're a common failure on 98 models and it happened to mine. Very easy to replace though! As coupeboy said, always use Volvo plugs on these.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 17:46   #4
Leo2009

Cheers for that guys...

Took the car out at lunchtime and hey presto the indicators were back to normal. Weird. But yes will have a look at the resistors this weekend and give them all a good wipe/replace. Not sure about possible earthing problem but have somebody local to me who should be able to figure it out.

If mayo on the dipstick isn't a problem then I don't think it is HG as all else is fine. Phew!

Servicing - yeah not a bad idea - Will try and do what I can this weekend with my mate who is far more mechanically minded than me (I am good at passing tools/cups of tea and fags!)

Fuel Pump makes sense - I have had that done on another previous car so know where to go with that one.

Thanks

Leo
Leo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 18:05   #5
SteveP
300 Maniac

What I would recommend is *if* it turns out to be the fuel pump, either upgrade it to a Walbro 225 lp/h pump (for about £85) - but you'll have to do a few modifications to it I believe. I'm pretty sure there's a guide on s40concepts.net to do this.

In all honesty the genuine Volvo fuel pump for the T4 is a ludicrous price of around £225. I wouldn't mind but it's not like they made them right in the first place :P
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote