Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46636

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 09:31   #581
Chris152

Hopefully a quick one - can anyone advise how to remove these clips? They are inside the spare wheel wells, holding the plastic trim beneath the rear bumper, 2 on each side. Do we just get hold of the thicker end and pull each in turn (there are two clips in each connection)? And is replacement a simple job of pushing them back in, one at a time?
We're exploring signs of brownish matter before heading to the welder.
Thanks
C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0367.jpg (374.3 KB, 17 views)
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 11:47   #582
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Going from memory:~
You push/pull the thinner metal arm through the plastic clip- it should then slide out, once released the plastic part can be removed out from the wing etc.
Regards Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 12:03   #583
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My "memory" is. Scratch one's head. Cogitate. Realise the solution. And now forgettery has taken over.

Bob will be right.

Stephen

—Bertrand Russell
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 15:28   #584
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

My recollection is that you compress the metal bit slightly against the panel at the same time as sliding it out. There's probably a special tool, but I don't remember any great difficulty - perhaps using a spread-open pair of pliars?

At least you haven't any underseal or sound-deadening on yours - I had to hack out a lot of bitumin before I could even see what the clip looked like.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 16:29   #585
Chris152

Thanks all - your memory serves you well, Bob.

There is rust there, apparently easy to sort. The mudflap bolts didn't unscrew but snapped easily, that's another job. More tricky to sort is the rust under the tailgate/ behind the rear bumper. The chap who just looked at it said better to buy panels than try to fabricate sections, but hunting the net's turned up nowt.

I've had another quote, based on photos, that came to somewhere between £900 and 1200 plus VAT - it's from a company that restores classic cars, so probably an expensive way to proceed. If I could get hold of the panels, the chap I know could do it cheaper, but there we go!

Pics attached, in case anyone has any thoughts. One's from under the rear bumper area, the other from inside the lidded under-boot storage space. Not nice, but we want to get it fixed before it gets worse. I've been wondering about grinding it all out and using glass fibre, which I can work with reasonably well, though it's a great car, no other significant rust, and probably worth doing right, I think.

Any thoughts really appreciated!

ps Another option is to have the chap I know cut it out and replace with fairly crudely fabricated, flat sections (ho doesn't have the kit to shape the metal). It's all in out-of-sight areas - would that be a reasonable solution? The idea's to keep the car working properly, not to achieve a concours restoration... :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0353.jpg (246.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0355.jpg (317.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Chris152; Jul 23rd, 2021 at 16:32.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 19:32   #586
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Hello

Sad to say that rust is typical of the 240 estate. It will go deep. There are threads about repairing that rust. Some with very interesting photographs.

In 2017 I bought one pre-shaped panel from a Volvo dealer. FRF Swansea.
Slam panel. part number 3528946.
£72 inc VAT and forum member discount.
plus delivery.
That panel deals with the most complex shape. Basically the part of the car that the tailgate slam locks on to.

I hope that helps.

Stephen.

—Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Jul 23rd, 2021 at 19:42.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 19:42   #587
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Some details are included here:~https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...e+repair+panel

I believe Brookhouse can supply a repair piece for the top section but other panels will need fabricating:~ A forum search will also give further restoration details to this area.
A quick look at your car- I would say we have far worse cars that have been saved, this area is a well known rust point. I would also remove the plastic trim that sits under the bumpers and check the area further- I also removed the bumper attachments to enable a wax treatment to sprayed into the chassis.
The larger panel sections can be formed without great difficulty I believe and this is a route that I would take rather than using fiberglass - again I would think a part section may suffice for your car providing the rust hasn't gone too far- a fabricator working on classic cars should be able to do this for you and as you say it doesn't have to be a factory finish as the area is hidden but you only want to do it once.
Good Luck.
Regards Bob.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jul 23rd, 2021 at 19:45.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 20:22   #588
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks all - your memory serves you well, Bob.

There is rust there, apparently easy to sort. The mudflap bolts didn't unscrew but snapped easily, that's another job. More tricky to sort is the rust under the tailgate/ behind the rear bumper. The chap who just looked at it said better to buy panels than try to fabricate sections, but hunting the net's turned up nowt.

I've had another quote, based on photos, that came to somewhere between £900 and 1200 plus VAT - it's from a company that restores classic cars, so probably an expensive way to proceed. If I could get hold of the panels, the chap I know could do it cheaper, but there we go!

Pics attached, in case anyone has any thoughts. One's from under the rear bumper area, the other from inside the lidded under-boot storage space. Not nice, but we want to get it fixed before it gets worse. I've been wondering about grinding it all out and using glass fibre, which I can work with reasonably well, though it's a great car, no other significant rust, and probably worth doing right, I think.

Any thoughts really appreciated!

ps Another option is to have the chap I know cut it out and replace with fairly crudely fabricated, flat sections (ho doesn't have the kit to shape the metal). It's all in out-of-sight areas - would that be a reasonable solution? The idea's to keep the car working properly, not to achieve a concours restoration... :-)
That looks pretty rough Chris!

First thoughts are does your welder know of any replacement sills that have a similar curve to the rear valance section? The rest looks (from what i can see in the pics) like it could be folded easily over a piece of angle iron and i would think your cheaper guy could manage that. If not, i'm sure a friendly local engineering shop could do it fairly cheaply.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 21:16   #589
Chris152

Dave: 'First thoughts are does your welder know of any replacement sills that have a similar curve to the rear valance section? The rest looks (from what i can see in the pics) like it could be folded easily over a piece of angle iron and i would think your cheaper guy could manage that. If not, i'm sure a friendly local engineering shop could do it fairly cheaply.' [I couldn't quote after first starting writing.]

Ok, maybe we have a learning opportunity here?!

The two lengths that need replacing have uniform curves along their length. For several years i've been working with wood and think I could plane to shape the curves needed in wood, and then shape sheet metal to those curves. (I've watched videos of people tapping it to shape around a wooden former online, what could go wrong?!) If we make up the two sections, full width, I could ask my friend to attach them. I'm assuming that to join to the existing, clean metal we'd create a recessed indent along that line so there's overlap? I can check this.

I'm writing this from a totally naive perspective, but think we could do it. Tell me if it's a bad idea?! If it's not, it'd be a really good thing to learn for the lad.

Bob/ Stephen - the top section's no longer available at Brookhouse, but ours shows no sign of decay from what we can see. They have another that can apparently be adapted tho, if we need it.

Worst case scenario, it's off to the classic car repair shop, but I'd like us to try sorting in so far as we can first.

Thanks all!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 22:55   #590
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Dave: 'First thoughts are does your welder know of any replacement sills that have a similar curve to the rear valance section? The rest looks (from what i can see in the pics) like it could be folded easily over a piece of angle iron and i would think your cheaper guy could manage that. If not, i'm sure a friendly local engineering shop could do it fairly cheaply.' [I couldn't quote after first starting writing.]

Ok, maybe we have a learning opportunity here?!

The two lengths that need replacing have uniform curves along their length. For several years i've been working with wood and think I could plane to shape the curves needed in wood, and then shape sheet metal to those curves. (I've watched videos of people tapping it to shape around a wooden former online, what could go wrong?!) If we make up the two sections, full width, I could ask my friend to attach them. I'm assuming that to join to the existing, clean metal we'd create a recessed indent along that line so there's overlap? I can check this.

I'm writing this from a totally naive perspective, but think we could do it. Tell me if it's a bad idea?! If it's not, it'd be a really good thing to learn for the lad.

Bob/ Stephen - the top section's no longer available at Brookhouse, but ours shows no sign of decay from what we can see. They have another that can apparently be adapted tho, if we need it.

Worst case scenario, it's off to the classic car repair shop, but I'd like us to try sorting in so far as we can first.

Thanks all!
Wonderful Chris, that is exactly the right attitude: use your woodworking skills, then have a go at sheet metalwork to make up the sections and get a chap with a MIG or spot welder to attach them. You may need to buy yourself some panel beating hammers and a dolly (cheap), but I’d see no reason why your idea wouldn’t work perfectly well.

Well done Chris - you will get this issue solved - you and your boy will be better for it.

Alan