Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 DPF, engine and anti skid problems

Views : 15515

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2015, 00:41   #21
Dangerousdave

The exhaust gases are recirculated, this sends the smog back through the engine, after we go to all that effort to have air filters the need for being green means we have to send unburnt sh1t back in to clog up the inlet/head etc.. Places where this build up wouldn't be..

Then the dpf itself, the blocking causes excess back pressure, so in the worst cases like mine, blows oil out of just about everywhere it shouldn't come from.. This back pressure isn't wanted..

The engine in our cars are good, it's the dpf systems and egr ones that are sending them to an early grave..

Sadly our cars suffer from problems than have come up in this thread, oil getting past the rings filling the sumps another, so they recommend you run below the max oil level.. I've tried to wipe my memory of some of the other ones I read, I was just getting more and more pi55ed off..

When people talk about carbon built up I just feel like I'm about to see a terraclean advert..

I say it in almost every thread and post, diesel costs more, this car does an unimpressive 40mpg, requires special treatment and mothered, it really is an utterly sh1t car... The green diesels are some of the worst ever to hit the market, a friends 2013 ford transit connect is the same, everytime I see him he's in a hire can due to more dpf woes...

Volvo 2.0d 2005, worst motoring experience of my life.
Dangerousdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 02:25   #22
BigBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiCole View Post
Bigbert I was just wondering if you are going to do anything about the carbon build up on the engine?

If my car is the way it is because of the DPF then there must be something that is preventing it from regenerating because I do enough motorway miles for it to regenerate.
Yeah my mechanic mate is going to replace any pipe that is DPF related, so technically I'll have a brand new set up...kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerousdave View Post
The exhaust gases are recirculated, this sends the smog back through the engine, after we go to all that effort to have air filters the need for being green means we have to send unburnt sh1t back in to clog up the inlet/head etc.. Places where this build up wouldn't be..

Then the dpf itself, the blocking causes excess back pressure, so in the worst cases like mine, blows oil out of just about everywhere it shouldn't come from.. This back pressure isn't wanted..

The engine in our cars are good, it's the dpf systems and egr ones that are sending them to an early grave..

Sadly our cars suffer from problems than have come up in this thread, oil getting past the rings filling the sumps another, so they recommend you run below the max oil level.. I've tried to wipe my memory of some of the other ones I read, I was just getting more and more pi55ed off..

When people talk about carbon built up I just feel like I'm about to see a terraclean advert..

I say it in almost every thread and post, diesel costs more, this car does an unimpressive 40mpg, requires special treatment and mothered, it really is an utterly sh1t car... The green diesels are some of the worst ever to hit the market, a friends 2013 ford transit connect is the same, everytime I see him he's in a hire can due to more dpf woes...

I was talking to a fellow mechanic mate (not the volvo mechanic whose doing the work to mine) and he was saying it's only the older ones. The newer ones on the face lift model are apparently night and day...
BigBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 09:28   #23
HeidiCole

I've had all of the pipes replaced on my DPF too, bigbert - I feel the same about mine to be honest. Not sure what to do, has anyone tried terraclean for DPF?
HeidiCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 18:24   #24
BigBert

Mine got it when it was done in June....here I am 3months later 😂
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 21:00   #25
HeidiCole

Bigbert- did you have a terraclean done or was it the previous owners?
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 21:19   #26
rick wales

I wouldnt think terraclean is the answer to this problem

Last edited by tt82; Nov 26th, 2015 at 15:19. Reason: Removed needless quote.
rick wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 21:54   #27
HeidiCole

I don't think so either, but it would be useful to know if it unblocked the DPF.
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 21:31   #28
BigBert

It was the previous owner who done it while getting the turbo done.

But after speaking to my mechanic who is doing mine saying that even a terraclean won't fully unblock it. Depends how sootied your pipes etc are it'll only clear it and not clean it completely.
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 22:15   #29
cjj

Just to clear some bits up...

Quote:
In a well-maintained engine, the actual effect of an EGR coking up the inlet is very low. The EGR valve essentially lowers NOx emissions. Today's technology is necessary for researching better tech tomorrow, and it's worth noting that there's not a lot wrong with today's tech - it's mostly down to incorrect or insufficient maintenance.

Quote:
Oil shouldn't need to get past the rings to the sump, it should be in the sump anyway. Excessive diesel injected as part of the regeneration cycle *can* produce blow by. Overly high oil levels, especially those diluted by diesel, can cause running on, so the reduced maximum oil level is just a precaution.

Quote:

It sounds an awful lot like you own a car that's not the best example of either a Volvo, or the DW10 engine.

The biggest issue people find is that they concentrate too much on the effect, and not the cause. EGRs and DPFs will very very rarely cause issues by themselves, but they experience issues as a result of poor maintenance.

The "EGR" seemingly failing is often a consequential function of another action - it's often another issue with the engine that causes an EGR to malfunction, and you can see people constantly blaming the EGR valve when it is quite often not the root cause of the problem - much like blaming the bin man for the amount of rubbish you leave out for him.

It's the same scenario for DPFs - a DPF can often oversaturate because the engine is over-fuelling - the DPF will be doing it's job, but it won't be in a position where it can regenerate effectively due to the poor conditions it is under, and will eventually fail - or alternatively, a simple sensor might not be telling the system to regenerate the DPF, and before you know it, it because unserviceable and needs replacing.

One of the more modern problems is down to DIY Fault Code reading. Fault codes are relatively generic - the code produced is often just the tip of the iceberg, consequential or collateral outcomes. Understanding how a system works, and reading the 'live' data from each sensor/system PID (along with a little knowledge) will often be the only effective way to solve an issue, and you may often find that relying purely on a fault code alone will result in something as effective as chasing one's own tail.

i.e. "I've got a P0420, my Cat needs replacing - damn fragile systems" rather than looking at the problem as saying "hmm, why does the PCM think the Catalytic Converter isn't working efficiently".

Some workshops/garages/dealers can be the same, with a lower level of technical ability and service resulting in a lack/loss of faith from the customer with the blame pointed at "those pesky DPFs"

Last edited by cjj; Sep 3rd, 2015 at 22:28.
cjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 22:21   #30
rick wales

Your absolutely correct

Last edited by tt82; Nov 26th, 2015 at 15:21. Reason: Removed needless quote.
rick wales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti skid service message, dpf, turbo