Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 vs 740

Views : 22383

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 09:57   #61
AlexO

As the possessor of a somewhat ragged 240, a beard (albeit quite tame) and an age at about the quarter-century mark it's terrifying to think another 240 owner might look at me and think I'm a hipster!

Although on evaluation I do have a beard, I am 25, I do own a number of plaid shirts and I do use my classic 240 to tow my vintage racing dinghy around. Sh*t, am I a hipster?!

In conclusion: love a 240 but I'd also love a 700 turbo!
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 10:46   #62
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

And to think that I always considered hipsters to be trousers that hung from the hips and not the waist .....

Anyway, back on track. Having owned both 240s and 740s, my view is that the 240 had more 'character' (however you define it (!)) while the 740 felt more modern and drivable. Unsurprising really, as the 740 was introduced in '83 and the 240 - itself a development of the earlier 140 - in '75. However, both models feel old-fashioned in comparison with my recently acquired V70, but that has even less 'soul' than the 740.

Which is the 'better' car? I don't know; I guess that comes down to personal preference.

Regards, John.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 20:27   #63
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
Having resolutely avoided following fashions all my life... how peculiar it is to find that the type of car I've been driving for 15 years is now 'hip'!!

I originally latched onto Volvo 240s years ago when I realised that they were great practical cars, and generally not considered desirable - making them excellent value.

That was before the banger racers and scrappage scheme turned them into an endangered species.

Still - if the remaining 200-series cars have found a new niche amongst a younger generation, well that's good for their longevity. Some cars never get 'cult' status and vanish off the face of the earth.

Maybe these hipsters have realised that they are onto a good thing: a car where you can pop the bonnet and actually work on the b1oody thing yourself and engage with it as a piece of machinery. That age-group are probably fed up with recent cars which have taken that ability away from them.

John
My 12 year old Son's friends view us as hillbilly oddballs because we can change engines or weld, when their mums and dads don't even open bonnets.
Get the youngsters interested in the smells and sounds of old cars before they become sanitised clones driving something soulless with a Duracell instead of an engine. A 240 is sufficiently wacky now, whereas it was the height of middle class respectability when new.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 20:32   #64
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
And to think that I always considered hipsters to be trousers that hung from the hips and not the waist .....

Which is the 'better' car? I don't know; I guess that comes down to personal preference.

Regards, John.
If you think you're a Hipster* then you are not, and"better"car ? Objectively the 700, although you might prefer the 200 and consider it better from that subjective point of view.

Jon.

*I doubt there are any Hipsters here.

Last edited by Prufrock; Oct 3rd, 2016 at 22:00. Reason: *addition
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 23:39   #65
volvo always
Premier Member

They both have their plusses and minuses.

Good headliner and interior plastics.

Bad.

Has the heater fan behind dash which needs a weekend to remove/replace. sure 740 heater fan was under passenger glovebox, so easy to replace.
Tailgate hinge wire routing breaks with age.
Prone to rust more.

More modern to drive.
better rust proofing.
split folding rear seats a great plus.

negative

Interior plastics brittle.
Headliner can sag.
Early wiring harness can degrade and insulation can fall off!

I have had a 1986 740 GLE estate with B230K engine (D795 RJW) My first car purchased by me. (Previously driving Grandparents 1986 340GL 1.4 as a named driver with direct line. Amassed 5 years no claims) I bought it when it was at least 20 years old and the red interior door lever/pull surrounds were all broken and got lucky in the scrapyard for replacements. Unfortunately after 5 years use they cracked or broke with age. The headliner was drawing pinned at the boot end as starting to come unstuck.
My biggest issue I didn't like the carb engine became unreliable.

I personally liked both but prefer my 240 due to the B230E Mechanical fuel injected engine.
I paid £425.00 for my 740 in around 2002 and had him around 6 years, it really got me into Volvos and enjoyed upgrading the sunroof to electric etc

Then had a new Toyota corolla diesel 1.4. Sold as moving from France.

Then got my current daily driver in late 2009 a 1989 240 GLT auto estate for £350 and driving him still.
It needs a bit of work currently.
Re-welding the passenger side outrigger like I had to on the 740.
New heater fan needed as died three ears ago.
I'm sure the 740 was far easier to replace as I remember the fan being under the glovebox/passenger footwell. I certainly remember replacing the fan resistor on my 740.

If I had to buy another Volvo it would be a 940 though but a nicely equipped one like a CD as I would at least like ABS and Aircon.

I fancy a Toyota diesel as main car and 240 put onto a classic policy. Or an LPG equipped Toyota. I really like the look of the old late 90's early 2000's lexus is 200. Like them in blue or green with cream leather and an auto.

James

Last edited by volvo always; Oct 3rd, 2016 at 23:51.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 15:58   #66
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
If you think you're a Hipster* then you are not, and"better"car ? Objectively the 700, although you might prefer the 200 and consider it better from that subjective point of view.

Jon.

*I doubt there are any Hipsters here.
It would be interesting to compare them both to ,say, a W123 Mercedes.
Failing that , buy one of each and enjoy the differences.
Good quality, honest, simple cars like these are not made any more.
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 19:32   #67
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Well I think AlexO is totally a hipster, all he needs is one of my retro-looking cameras ...
Old Oct 4th, 2016, 19:43   #68
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
I fancy a Toyota diesel as main car and 240 put onto a classic policy. Or an LPG equipped Toyota. I really like the look of the old late 90's early 2000's lexus is 200. Like them in blue or green with cream leather and an auto.
In my humble opinion, my Avensis has many of the best qualities of the older Volvos: solidity, reliability, practicality, safety, confort. I'd be a bit wary of diesels, though: they have a reputation for head gasket failure. I did my research and bought a petrol.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 08:52   #69
irish boy
VOC Member

ĶGreat comments and interesting reading.

I love the side profile of my 740. Looks like a proper classic.

http://i64.tinypic.com/339kgmv.jpg

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Oct 17th, 2016 at 14:49. Reason: Image removed: too big
irish boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to irish boy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 10:44   #70
heckflosse
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Certainly a change from modern blobs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post: