Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 vs 740

Views : 22354

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 11:30   #51
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Headroom

Notwithstanding its "interesting" vertical rear window, the 700 saloons had a decent amount of rear headroom, unlike the S60 where you appear to be hunched over in the back seats. There's a lot to be said for squareback designs.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 20:19   #52
57RKL

Great quote I've just read on a Facebook forum...

After working on a 7, I discovered the solution to the plastic islands floating about the Atlantic. Simply make all plastic objects out of the same material that 7 interiors are made out of - then all plastic waste will crumble to dust inside of a couple of years tops.
57RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 57RKL For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 10:50   #53
tofufi
Premier Member

While I find it interesting reading, not a single bit of interior plastic trim on my 700 is broken. It's not a low-mileage or low-owner car either. My cars headlining isn't too bad either...

The 740 is a much more modern car to drive than the 240, but the 240 more engaging and more characterful. I quite often do 300+ miles in a day in my 740, I'm not sure I'd want to do the same in a 240
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 10:56   #54
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
While I find it interesting reading, not a single bit of interior plastic trim on my 700 is broken. It's not a low-mileage or low-owner car either. My cars headlining isn't too bad either...

The 740 is a much more modern car to drive than the 240, but the 240 more engaging and more characterful. I quite often do 300+ miles in a day in my 740, I'm not sure I'd want to do the same in a 240
Echo that, I currently have 4* x 1986 740s in my ownership, none of them are or have been garage queens and none of them have any broken plastics.

Headlining issues are commonplace but then the cars are 30 years old and it is no big deal to sort.

Jon.

*two are spares cars

Last edited by Prufrock; Sep 28th, 2016 at 11:04. Reason: addition*
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 15:48   #55
Joe of Loath
Can I angle grind this?

Can anyone explain the 240's cult following among non-Volvo people compared to the 740? Prices for the 240 are much higher even though there's a similar number on the road, and the guy I got my 740 off had bought it to tide him over until he found a good 240 (and he did, beautiful Torslanda).

Dare I say it, the 240 has hipster appeal.
Joe of Loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 16:11   #56
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe of Loath View Post
Can anyone explain the 240's cult following among non-Volvo people compared to the 740? Prices for the 240 are much higher even though there's a similar number on the road, and the guy I got my 740 off had bought it to tide him over until he found a good 240 (and he did, beautiful Torslanda).

There isn't a rational or objective explanation, the 700 is the superior car - objectively, but the 200 is fashionable.

I'm not sure even the 200 is that popular in the wider community.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 17:27   #57
yoda960
Volvo 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe of Loath View Post

It's true. They are getting 'trendy' now, it's a nice looking older car. I think the 700 series will head that way too though. I think the 700s are diminishing a bit quicker than the 200s as well, you don't see as many for sale...
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 04:01   #58
DW42

Here in my neck of the suburbs the 240 has certainly become a desirable hipster ride. Prices are higher for 240s, but there are certain 7/9 series that are worth as much as or more than a 240 estate -- high spec turbo estates. 7/9 series saloons are worth about the same as any undesirable Japanese car of similar age and condition.

I considered getting a 940 estate, but used parts are harder to come by for them here (fewer on the road), and I went with what was more familiar: I know the 240s foibles and can deal with them (such as replacing the rear TABs).

My 240 estate looks too well-kept to be mistaken for a hipster's car: a hipster 240 must have sun-damaged paintwork and at least one piece of exterior trim missing both front and rear. You can't be seen to care too much for a mere car.
The Following User Says Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 15:21   #59
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
There isn't a rational or objective explanation, the 700 is the superior car - objectively, but the 200 is fashionable.

I'm not sure even the 200 is that popular in the wider community.

Jon.
They are both very good cars, and . classic price wise, good value.
Numbers are thinning but they are still out there if you want a "proper" car.
How many SD1s, Renault 30s, Audi 100s, Mk2 Granadas, or Peugeot 505s do you see now?

Ye gods, I shudder to think I might be a hipster driving my old 200 series.
I mean, I haven't even got a beard..
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2016, 00:09   #60
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Having resolutely avoided following fashions all my life... how peculiar it is to find that the type of car I've been driving for 15 years is now 'hip'!!

I originally latched onto Volvo 240s years ago when I realised that they were great practical cars, and generally not considered desirable - making them excellent value.

That was before the banger racers and scrappage scheme turned them into an endangered species.

Still - if the remaining 200-series cars have found a new niche amongst a younger generation, well that's good for their longevity. Some cars never get 'cult' status and vanish off the face of the earth.

Maybe these hipsters have realised that they are onto a good thing: a car where you can pop the bonnet and actually work on the b1oody thing yourself and engage with it as a piece of machinery. That age-group are probably fed up with recent cars which have taken that ability away from them.

John

Last edited by Jungle_Jim; Oct 1st, 2016 at 00:14.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post: