Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Immobiliser wont turn off, i1992 SE

Views : 833

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2016, 19:00   #1
paddingtonbear

Default Immobiliser wont turn off, i1992 SE

Over several weeks I have been experiencing 'trouble' with the immobiliser and hazards as noted else where. To start with the hazards came on and off randomly and even when the car was locked up on the drive. On one occasion of they apparently went off and on 6 times according to a neighbour. I continued to drive the car as I was without a substitute at the time and even when driving along the hazards came on, sometimes just on one side,mainly OS. A couple of times the car was dead as if the immobiliser had just decided to join its friend the hazards. The final straw was when I was seemingly stranded at the local Sainsbury's with both the hazards working and the immobiliser not allowing me to start the car. I called th AA who came very quickly and I told the tale to the patrolman who asked me for the keys and blow me down it started! And I drove home still with the hazards flashing away (it was only a mile). On reaching my drive I parked up and turned off the ignition, the hazards were still flashing away so as a test I tried to restart but it no avail. Any thoughts? I have currently removed the battery and am currently driving a fabulous, recently purchased 740.

Last edited by paddingtonbear; Oct 31st, 2016 at 19:02.
paddingtonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 19:46   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

First thing I do with a new car that has an immobiliser is to remove it and by the sounds of it that is going to be your best bet. They do little to stop your car being stolen but often do a lot to stop you driving your own car
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 19:04   #3
paddingtonbear

Thank you! How do you go about removing the immobiliser? I have been following a thread on the 7/900 section and it all looks very far above my pay grade. I shall be getting a serious local vehicle techie o do it but it would be good if I/we had some proper background info.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 09:48   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Its mostly a case of follwoing the wiring back and removing, rejoing any wires that were cut into
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 20:20   #5
paddingtonbear

Having asked my questions on both the 200 section and the 700 section (as I thought perhaps that do terminus cars might have had similar immobilisers) and receiving advice the implementation of which was far, far beyond my pay scale I had a think........and what I thought was that perhaps the battery in the fob was defective and blow me down, changed the battery and the car started immediatly. This does not mean that all is well but it is a bloody sight better than having a dead car. Especial thanks to classic swede for bothering to answer. I shall ignor the fob from now on and just use the key.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddingtonbear For This Useful Post: