Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide/How to remove EGR valve/Turbo

Views : 41715

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2010, 17:54   #11
Biotoxic
Master Member

Yep my car works fine now, so this works
thx everyone
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biotoxic For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 18:05   #12
sebaveh
Winegrover

-------

Last edited by sebaveh; Dec 8th, 2010 at 18:18.
sebaveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 18:14   #13
sebaveh
Winegrover

Just bought myself a Carburetor Cleaner and went into action.
I didn't need to remove all pneumatic system as described, only inlet hose above EGR and of course EGR itself. It wasn't that dirty and didn't stuck. But upper part of inlet manifold, where hose is attached to... well, I had something to see there! Hole was like 1/4 to 1/3 packed up with dirt. I covered bottom holes on EGR valve place to prevent dirt going too deep. With long screwdriver and vacuum cleaner I removed most of dirt, and remains with Carb Cleaner and cloth, wrapped around screwdriver. Estimated quantity of dirt was around 1/2 deciliter at least.

This was the first cleaning ever, on D192T3 engine, 2003, with 144000 km.

One thing I would like to point out: -My EGR valve does not come in two pieces. On mounting holes is obviously riveted together with thin cylinders or some sort. I didn't try to take it apart as it doesn't show any signs of hard moving.
VADIS is not very useful here. It shows only one model of EGR valve for all models and years, and even there is pictured as mounted transversally on engine, rather then longitudinal as it really is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4517.JPG (355.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg img_4520a.jpg (223.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg img_4521a.jpg (235.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg img_4522a.jpg (210.1 KB, 58 views)
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 18:53   #14
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaveh View Post
Just bought myself a Carburetor Cleaner and went into action.
I didn't need to remove all pneumatic system as described, only inlet hose above EGR and of course EGR itself. It wasn't that dirty and didn't stuck. But upper part of inlet manifold, where hose is attached to... well, I had something to see there! Hole was like 1/4 to 1/3 packed up with dirt. I covered bottom holes on EGR valve place to prevent dirt going too deep. With long screwdriver and vacuum cleaner I removed most of dirt, and remains with Carb Cleaner and cloth, wrapped around screwdriver. Estimated quantity of dirt was around 1/2 deciliter at least.

This was the first cleaning ever, on D192T3 engine, 2003, with 144000 km.

One thing I would like to point out: -My EGR valve does not come in two pieces. On mounting holes is obviously riveted together with thin cylinders or some sort. I didn't try to take it apart as it doesn't show any signs of hard moving.
VADIS is not very useful here. It shows only one model of EGR valve for all models and years, and even there is pictured as mounted transversally on engine, rather then longitudinal as it really is.
Looks like its welded together..... there should be metallic gasket between those parts.
I had to remove all those parts so I can get to the turbo itself.
Clean until you can see shiny metal parts under all that black stuff..
You should notice slight performance gain
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 20:30   #15
Biotoxic
Master Member

Friday night quiz....
lost power again, I was able to get home using more than 3000 rpms. At home I opened up the bonnet, removed that plastic cover and I noticed soot and some oil spilled on the heat shield, soot was mostly between engine and wind screen.....
will take some pictures as I am working to find a fault.

Last edited by Biotoxic; Dec 10th, 2010 at 22:37.
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 10:19   #16
phil_r

Thanks for the guide, did the job yesterday and all now nice and clean!!

One problem I found was that the inner and outer bits of the EGR valve where actually joined together at the bolt hole. They had a small washer type thing (its probably got a proper name!) which joined them together but would spin freely when twisted with a screwdriver. This just made it a bit more awkward to remove as you had to work on the inner piece first. Before I had removed the valve the 'washer' things decided they'd had enough and I managed to remove the outer piece.

Phil
phil_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 12:35   #17
sebaveh
Winegrover

Aha, so your EGR is the same type as my - both parts are riveted together on holes?

When you took them apart, was there any dirt inside?
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 18:22   #18
phil_r

Haha, I didn't see your post there! I spent quite a while trying to work out why they wouldn't come apart....

Anyway, there was quite a lot of crud around the sping mechanism that controls the valve. I'd recomend doing it at the same time, the rivets won't take much effort to remove once you have the whole thing out!
Phil
phil_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 20:22   #19
Helibatics

I'm thinking of doing this job myself. Do you guys replace any gaskets when you put it all back together or do you re-use the old ones?
Helibatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 21:00   #20
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helibatics View Post
I'm thinking of doing this job myself. Do you guys replace any gaskets when you put it all back together or do you re-use the old ones?
This thread may be of assistance to you.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:

Tags
diy, egr, how to..., turbo