Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 2002 Strong Petrol Smell

Views : 853

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2024, 22:29   #1
morgwin

Default XC70 2002 Strong Petrol Smell

Hi, again all,

There is a strong smell of petrol on the outside of the vehicle, near the gas cap, but doesn't seem to be coming from the gas cap, just in the vicinity, We don't see any petrol leaking anywhere underneath, and it cant be smelt when inside the car with the doors shut.

Thanks for any help.
morgwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 22:57   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

check the floor underneath when filling up

there's a quite common issue with split rubber elbow from filler tube to tank and it's a total bas$%d to get to, sorry!

it would be obvious from a little puddle when filling up but it wouldn't be a continuous leak during normal use after that point

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320218

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Mar 10th, 2024 at 22:59.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 01:05   #3
Carlosos

Was it after you filled the car up? My xc90 had a bad seep from the fuel sensor hole but only on a full tank. Threads needed cleaning out.
Carlosos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 07:17   #4
Tomoose

Filler neck pipe leaks are very common on these. A bit of a faff, but probably a garage job if you don't do lots of spannering as the rear subframe has to be dropped for access.
2004/54 V70 D5 SE in Ash Gold,
2006 V70 D5 185 Ruby Red.
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 12:26   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

How many mikes are on your car?
Any CEL?

Access to all this stuff requires removal of the plastic wheel well liners.
You drill out the pop rivets. You'll need replacement pop rivets and a larger size pop rivet gun for reinstallation.

I fit a short length of scrap garden hose to the downward facing barb on the fuel filler 'pipe' and blew into it. I located my leak by the resulting hiss.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 08:54   #6
richmac

Hi,

I'm chasing the same issue on a 2005 petrol XC70.

2 thing I've done so far that have considerably improved the issue that might help you too:

1. Change the fuel cap (genuine Volvo)
2. Replaced the evap system lines in the engine bay - one was split open, (part no. 30757307 for ref).

Any other input welcome as I still have a slight smell. It's only there when the system is pressurized.

Best regards,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 10:30   #7
guido4545

I have the same issue and its not the top of the fuel pump which I have checked. Smell is only there after a run, difficult to notice while filling up but no obvious wet under the car when I've looked.

Not sure if I dare try getting to get to the filler pipe behind the wheel well liner so I guess its a trip to the garage
guido4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 16:40   #8
richmac

Still trying to find this smell. I now have it through the vents when stopping at lights, etc. No leaks, dry pump and sender. All fuel states.

So a question for George in particular but anyone else with knowledge.

I've attached a picture looking up towards my filler cap. What I see doesn't match any diagrams I can find. Does the pipe with the rubber u-bend go to the EVAP system? Should there be a filter or something else attached to it? What is the cylinder on the other pipe that presumably is the vent that goes to the top of the tank? Is this the 'spider trap'?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240402_094509.jpg (250.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by richmac; Apr 2nd, 2024 at 16:43.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 12:57   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Looks like parts were removed from your "filler neck".

That open "u-bend" is where fresh air enters the system when vacuum is applied to the closed fuel tank to suck the fuel vapors into the engine to be burned instead of being vented.

The downward pointing hose end should have a one-way valve on it to prevent rain/splash water etc. (spiders?) from being sucked into the tank. The one-way valve on mine had a hose barb on it and that's where I attached the scrap garden hose I blew into.

I can only guess the cylindrical item is a check valve to prevent excess fuel (from top-ups) from flooding the EVAP valving. This is a pure guess.

Also, the drain tube for the filler neck pocket is missing.
Was body work done in that part of the car?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 14:48   #10
richmac

Thanks. That's very helpful.

The car is all original but I thought something might be missing. I've just found the right EVAP diagram, (https://usparts.volvocars.com/a/Volv.../GR-78782.html). For others diagnosing, there are parts on it that don't appear on the fuel diagram. I appear to be missing the cannister filter (20) part no: 30750672, which I think is what you're talking about.

I still don't see a drain tube anywhere for the pocket nipple. Does yours connect to somewhere or vent to the ground?

Last edited by richmac; Apr 3rd, 2024 at 14:50.