Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Soot Filter Full Warning

Views : 9267

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 18:58   #11
Jetmech

We have seem to have a crazy taxation system for vehicles, that only charges for one sort of pollution, that mainly effects petrol engines. Diesels are dirty! Always have been and always will be.
We have never had a soot issue with our D5, but it still worries me none the less.
I would like to replace the Volvo with a Discovery 3, unfortunately the V8 isn't available in manual, but on the up side the diesel doesn't have a dpf until 2009 in the UK. Of course a Discovery has many other issues
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 20:15   #12
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz Newell View Post
I went on the motorway yesterday and did 50mph at 2500 revs.....the dash lights went out after about 30 mins.... I give it some throttle again and seemed ok so I gave it a little bit more and lights came back on,another 20 mins at 50mph and 2500 revs and signs went off again and again I was able to manoeuvre the car quickly....is it a possibility that I may need to do a few of these journeys to clear the filter or has anyone used the dpf cleaner that is sold on ebay.
As clan has said you need the car plugging into vida the volvo system or another suitable diagnostic tool. With this you need to measure the soot quantity, the differential pressure sensor and the temperature sensor need to be working correctly. This can only be done via a plug in ideally with the volvo system. You are wasting fuel and possible risking a salavagble dpf filter. To replace the dpf is expensive and is rare on these they just need correct maintance, driving style and oil spec.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 20:29   #13
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I have to say it that you should get your codes read. It has not necessarily gone to far to regen itself seeing as it has partially done it, but goes wrong again.

For example, the regen requires the glow plugs to come on, so if you have say 3,4 or all five glow plugs not working, it won't regen or will take yonks to if you see what I mean.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 10:37   #14
Daz Newell

ok thanks all for your input and help.
Daz Newell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:19   #15
vir1983

Default V70 Same issue for Soot Warning

I have a 2007 V70 and today morning I got the same soot full warning, my car has not done any long motorway journey in last month or so and based on threads above i need to do that. So a 1 hour drive on motorway at 50MPH should solve it, but what should be the gear for that speed . lower gear or hihger gear.

Last edited by vir1983; Mar 4th, 2024 at 09:29.
vir1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 14:01   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vir1983 View Post
I have a 2007 V70 and today morning I got the same soot full warning, my car has not done any long motorway journey in last month or so and based on threads above i need to do that. So a 1 hour drive on motorway at 50MPH should solve it, but what should be the gear for that speed . lower gear or hihger gear.
well at 50 mph you would be in top gear ..??? you don't have to do anything special just drive at 50 mph for 20 mins or so. If that isn't enough it will carry on the next time the journey condition are right .
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 14:07   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
well at 50 mph you would be in top gear ..??? you don't have to do anything special just drive at 50 mph for 20 mins or so. If that isn't enough it will carry on the next time the journey condition are right .
What are the conditions and how do you know when a regen is happening?
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 15:13   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
What are the conditions and how do you know when a regen is happening?
You don't need to know, the whole process is supposed to go on in the background... and in 99% of the times it does. You will get a message if something is not right... for example SOOT FILTER FULL that means you have probably been driving slowly in town for some days and all you need to do it go for a longer drive 50 mph or more.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 06:54   #19
honestkay

Default Soot Filter & Engine light on

I have an S60 D3 and a warning light on the Soot Filter and the engine light is on. I am having the engine cut off while driving, not often but is this a good sign to take to the mechanic or dealer? Please advise
honestkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 10:52   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestkay View Post
I have an S60 D3 and a warning light on the Soot Filter and the engine light is on. I am having the engine cut off while driving, not often but is this a good sign to take to the mechanic or dealer? Please advise
As you have a warning light on you will need to get the stored fault codes read and interpreted to decide which way to go next.. what year is it and which engine ? 4 cylinder diesel or 5 cylinder diesel?