Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.6D or 2.0D Which Engine to choose?

Views : 1338

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: 1.6D or 2.0D
1.6D 0 0%
2.0D 7 100.00%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 18th, 2022, 21:19   #1
tig124

Default 1.6D or 2.0D Which Engine to choose?

Hi,

I am looking at a C30, origonally was going to be the 1.6D, however I have heard bad things around reliability of the engines (Engines requiring lots of work to be done to them?) - So now looking at 2.0D instead.

Question: - What are the problems with the 1.6D? (There seems to be more of the 1.6 than the 2.0D for sale in the UK at the moment.

Thanks
tig124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 21:24   #2
Moomoo
VOC Member

My 1.6 was fine , sold at 10 years old, 145k miles. However the dpf etc. is not keen on lots of short journeys. They need PAT fluid. Not sure if the 2.0 l does as well.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2022, 21:56   #3
tig124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
My 1.6 was fine , sold at 10 years old, 145k miles. However the dpf etc. is not keen on lots of short journeys. They need PAT fluid. Not sure if the 2.0 l does as well.
Thanks - I was wondering if the issues were related to the dpf and short journeys - difficult to work out when your purchasing a second hand car though
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 17:43   #4
Jamz3k

I’ve got a 1.6d v50. It’s slow, it’s not anywhere near as economical as claimed and just hateful. Mine has required multiple sets of injector seals, it passes oil into the air filter like no ones business and has always been a bit fumey but lately turns the cab into a mobile gas chamber. Hateful little engine by all accounts on the internet.
Jamz3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 18:17   #5
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz3k View Post
I’ve got a 1.6d v50. It’s slow, it’s not anywhere near as economical as claimed and just hateful. Mine has required multiple sets of injector seals, it passes oil into the air filter like no ones business and has always been a bit fumey but lately turns the cab into a mobile gas chamber. Hateful little engine by all accounts on the internet.
I’m sorry you’ve been unlucky . My 1.6 d V70 was a delight. Over 1100 miles on a tank, when carefully driven on a European trip. Not quick of the mark but 80mph at below 3000 rpm.

No problems until I retired , then short trips gave problems, replaced dpf and **** ,turned out to be fuel filter.

Buy a good one without fear and look after it!

Last edited by Moomoo; Mar 19th, 2022 at 18:34.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 19:29   #6
Turbodave
VOC Member

I've got a V50 with the 2.0D... bought at 160k and now on 235k and it's fair to say I've pretty much neglected it over the past 75k / 5 years aside for a few oil changes, diesel filters and a leaky oil pressure switch. For some reason, be it a miracle or whatever... it just refuses to die or even falter. It's remapped too, no idea by who or what it produces but it's borderline quick mid range and yet even driving it in full blown 17yr old mode, it'll struggle to do under 40mpg and usually sits around 50mpg. It's pre-DPF which possibly helps but aside for that, I honestly cannot fault it so needless to say, that'd be my recommendation.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 20:31   #7
Teddy1975

I have a 2.0D also, at 177K, and I wouldn't switch it for a 1.6D.

Like Turbodave says, it can get quite good mileage and it can be fast when necessary, for example when overtaking. Currently, doing mostly country road driving, my mileage is 56.5 mpg, still with the occasional overtake/heavy foot. At motorway speed, the mileage will drop substantially.

No diesels like short trips.

My V50 has the Euro norm 5 DPF.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Teddy1975 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 21:55   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz3k View Post
they are not all like that , just the neglected ones ...
Old Mar 19th, 2022, 23:41   #9
tig124

Default 2.0d C30

Interesting thanks for all the info - Currently put a deposit on a 2.0d R-design C30, £122k, which will come with a years MOT, had Cambelt and water pump recently done along with brakes... Now waiting on a new Turbo to be put on (when I test drove it at the garage it was sluggish, so Garage agreed to sort out the issue)....

.... Its being over a weeks wait so far!

Hoping its worth the wait
Old Mar 20th, 2022, 08:35   #10
Willber G
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tig124 View Post
£122k
Seems a little overpriced to me.

Personally I would go for one with a Volvo engine (D3, D4, D5).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willber G For This Useful Post: