Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brighter lights, Better sound and More power please

Views : 1213

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2005, 20:55   #1
volvological

Default Brighter lights, Better sound and More power please

Hi there, great forum by the way, ive found out how to rewire my tailgate and fix my heated sets already!. I own a 93' 240 Torslander estate and like a lot of later 240's, it seems the headlamp reflectors have desilvered themselves. My local dealership quoted me approx £55 per reflector! for replacements which whilst i'm not surprised about, seems a bit steep. Is there any way to respray these/repair them etc or does anybody have any for sale / have any details of a cheaper source.

I am also considereing a speaker replacements in the car, I think that the present system has oem 10cm coax units to the front and 13cm woofer/tweeter components in the rear doors. All these units have seen better days. I am therefore considering replacing them with alpine 'custom' series loudspeakers do give greater clarity, has anybody tried this conversion, has anybody any advice to offer?

Finally, my 240 is fitted with the B200k (catylyst) engine, and whilst this is a briliant engine, it is slightly hindered by the weight of the car, knowing that the engine has some version of Bosch Efi, has anybody 'superchipped' this engine with any useful increase in power?. I understand that a lot depends on the condition of the engine.

Any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated

Steve
volvological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 21:49   #2
5lab

Default RE: Brighter lights, Better sound and More power please

get new lights from a scrapyard/volvo breakers - should cost you less than £20 per complete light unit
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:35   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If you can get them out! The fixing nuts are notorious for rusting solid, and the hexagonal bolt heads are held only in the plastic moulding. Any I have ever tried to remove have simply twisted in the plastic and wrecked the assembly. Then you have to get your own undone.
Europarts or German/Swedish are cheaper, I think.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 10:10   #4
chris m

Hi Steve

Concerning your engine: Isn´t a B200F fitted with a Bosch LH 2.4 Jetronic fuel injection?
Generally speaking, the 240 doesn`t weigh that much, your Torslanda should be around 1350kg. Compare that to todays Ford Focus (or Volvo S40/V50 if you like), they carry at least 100kg more with them!
Problem with the B200 engine is, it was just introduced to markets which where in need of engines under 2liter to avoid higher tax. The "proper" engine for the late 240 has 2.3 liter.
I never heard a positive thing about superchipping a non-turbo Volvo engine and I don`t know if there are some chips on the market for your car. My opinion: if you really want more power, fit a B230 engine and you will be surprised, how nice your 240 drives. And if that`s not enough, you will add a turbo later on;)

Cheers, Chris
chris m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 12:57   #5
ravennexus

first thing for more power in any B200/230F is to toss the M grind camshaft in the bin, it's junk. it was made for emissions purposes for the US, stick an A,V,K or if you can find one a H cam in there and you'll be alot better off.
ravennexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 16:40   #6
volvological

Cheers for all the advice guys, i found new reflectors at German and Swedish for £20 which are on the way to me, I suppose my next task is to disassemble the originals! It's probably not gonna be worth upgrading my existing engine by the sounds of it, but may consider installing a larger turbo-charged engine later on, the car feels like it easily cope with a more powerful unit.

Thanks again

Steve
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 17:59   #7
ravennexus

goto where ihang out

http://forums.turbobricks.com/
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 21:48   #8
cbyard
TDC Member ;-)

A bit squalid, but having encountered the twisting bolts in the lamp units, I resorted to the angle grinder... this melted the plastic but at least got the units out in one piece more or less. To replace them I tidied up the melted holes as best as possible (with a Stanley knife) then used some brass M6 screws with D shaped cut down washers soldered to them to spread the load and provide anti rotation properties. You can then fix the screws in the lamp unit with some silcone sealer to stop them falling out on replacement (and stop water getting in afterwards).

Some brass nuts and star washers co,plete the refix, though I doubt the car will last long enough for anyone to appreciate the fact the the nuts will now always come off again!

If you costed the time, I'm sure new units would be MUCH cheaper, but.....

Chris
cbyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 09:30   #9
ravennexus

true my 244 falied the MOT as the lights were to low due to adjusters seized. also bad reflectors too, so i just replaced the whole lot.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 22:30   #10
volvological

Well ive got my brighter lights, thanks for the advice on rusted headlamp bolts, i gave them a good dose of plus gas dismantling fluid before i took the headlights out, and the nuts came off no problem. The replacement relectors from German and Swedish came with all the parts required, clips, replacement seal etc to replace all the bits you break when dismantling the headlight units!. Its been a a new experience driving at night over this weekend, i can finally see where i'm going!.

Next job to sort the front bumper out

Cheers

Steve