Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 Saloon, '95 M 2.5 10V GLT Manual LEEDS

Views : 2779

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2010, 18:03   #1
zax
Volvophile

Default 850 Saloon, '95 M 2.5 10V GLT Manual LEEDS

Getting the feelers out as I am about to "inherit" an abused '99 v70 which needs love (and tax and MOT) and thus the 850 saloon will probably have to go at the end of the month (when it needs taxing!).

It's a '95 M 2.5 10V GLT saloon, manual, in wine red/maroon, with MOT to mid Nov 2010 (tax expires at the end of this month) and just 114K on the clock (but in use daily). Had a head gasket 10K ago (although the mayo' was actually breather thingy at fault) and is a lovely runner. Over the last year it has had CV boot (prior to MOT), heater matrix, front drop links, new battery and a few other bits 'n' bobs to keep her in top fettle mechanically - passed last MOT with no issues. Has SC805 single slot CD/cassette/radio and beige leather in fairly good condition (no rips/tears but some scuffs). A/C works great, icy cold. The usual "car park medals" but nothing dramatic although the alloys have seen better days, 5 good tyres, 4 of them Hankook Optimo K406.

A quick look here and Ebay suggests somewhere between £250-300 if I'm lucky - is that all?

Tell me I'm mistaken - please?

Nevertheless guys - anyone be interested in giving her a good home? Make me an offer, she's got miles & miles & miles of life in her yet. I'll try to get some pics put up, p'ing down here at the moment. Would love to keep her, but can't tax two cars and need an estate now for practicality. Failing that it's a trip to Bradford Motor Auctions or Fleabay!

Currently enjoying an '05 S40 1.8 SE ("Vicky II")

Last edited by zax; Jun 13th, 2010 at 20:19.
zax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 11:35   #2
sec1223
I've Been Banned

id be interested in the boot seats if its got any?
sec1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 18:45   #3
zax
Volvophile

Erm........ it's a saloon, and I'm not breaking it.

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 16:05   #4
zax
Volvophile

Default Update to first post

Right, I'm going to have to put some tax on this - need to run it till the v70 gets sorted!

So, 6 months tax, MOT till mid Nov, probably "on sale" mid-end July. £500.

Pics here at last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image000.jpg (343.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Image001.jpg (271.2 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Image002.jpg (328.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Image003.jpg (275.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Image004.jpg (313.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Image005.jpg (351.8 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Image006.jpg (259.0 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by zax; Jun 20th, 2010 at 16:38.
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 19:00   #5
zax
Volvophile

Default Right, she's officially "For Sale"

Right, the V70 is nearing completion - almost MOT time - so the 850 GLT is now "on sale"

To re-iterate;

It's a '95 M 2.5 10V GLT saloon, manual, in wine red/maroon/burgundy, with MOT to mid Nov 2010, Tax to end of year, and just 114K on the clock (but in use daily). "She" had a head gasket ~12K ago (although the mayo' was actually PCV breather at fault) and is a lovely runner. Recently did a 1500 mile, one week, "tour" of the UK for work and never missed a beat - returned over 32 mpg as well.

Over the last year she has had CV boot, heater matrix, front drop links, new battery and a few other bits 'n' bobs to keep her in top fettle mechanically - passed last MOT with no issues.

Has SC805 single slot CD/cassette/radio and beige leather in fairly good condition (no rips/tears but some scuffs). A/C works great, icy cold.

Body work wise, she has the usual "car park medals" on the front bumper corners but nothing too dramatic other than a small scrape to rear passenger wheel arch (c/o garage wall!). The alloys have seen better days, laquer-wise, but all have good tyres, Hankook Optimo K406, steel wheel spare has brand new tyre. The roof trim strip on the passenger side is starting to peel (plastic coating is brittle, cracked and peeling).

Also included are a few bits & bobs including rotor arm, dizzy cap and set of HT leads. Have only 1 key, but 2 remote fobs.

Photos are above.

Located Guiseley, nr. Leeds (on the A65 heading out to Ilkley). Viewing (and listening, but not tyre kicking) welcome, nay, positively encouraged.

£500, or sensible (please) offers. May be willing to deliver for cost of fuel & rail ticket back back to Leeds - depends to a large degree on your location, but I'm open to discussion/negotiation.

Be sorry to see her go, but a new "waif & stray" needs my attention in the form of a V70 and funds only stretch so far!

{She's far, far too good to scrap or break so I'd prefer that you tell me if that's what you are planning and I'll cash in the 6 months tax I just put on her!}

Last edited by zax; Jul 12th, 2010 at 19:04.
Old Jul 15th, 2010, 17:48   #6
zax
Volvophile

Shameless bump - 240 views and it still fell off the front page.

No-one interested? Can't believe it. Please, don't make me Ebay her, pleeaaasssee. No-one loves Volvos like VOC people.

Even at £450, taxed and tested till nearly the year end, you could run her for 5 months, break her and still make a profit on the parts.

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 17:59   #7
zax
Volvophile

I can't believe this has attracted zero interest!

Come on guys, make me a (sensible) offer? Need the funds to plough into the V70 and can't afford to run both. Do I really have to go to the last resort and Ebay her? Far too good to break, lots of life in her yet. Tax AND mot! Buy & go, no hassle.

Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 19:42   #8
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Sorry that you've had no replies so far.

I would guess your car falls between two categories of buyer, and might miss both, leaving only a small group of people interested in buying it.

1. I don't think there's really much wrong with your car but most 'normal' ie non-VOC club members really only want 850 estates.

2. Members on here will nearly all have at least one volvo and unless something 'special' comes up ( ie T5, AWD, R, etc ), they probably won't have the cash or space for another purchase.

So you're left with owning a really good saloon car, but as it's not 'special' it won't generate that much interest.

I'm sure you'll get some replies, however, as to when, only time will tell.

As to the price, without the tax I'd guess that the c. £350 mark is about right, but remember that whoever purchases it will need to get the RFL sorted before driving it home ( I know, we've all done it in the past but with the Police & DVLA cameras out everywhere now ...)

Also, with about 4 months MOT left (23/7 to mid/11) this might put of some people, again, this will mean more expenditure for the new owner, the MOT at least just before Christmas.

So you might need to do a deal over the tax and the shortish MOT to get it moving.

I wouldn't recommend a 'real' auction like you suggest, done it once for a car and after the non-trade fees I was left with sooo little I'd have been better off driving it off a cliff.

Just a thought.

Rgds

Either way, good luck - the car and add all look well presented.

Last edited by CharlesStevenson; Jul 23rd, 2010 at 22:00.
CharlesStevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 22:04   #9
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Oh, another thought, as most schools have now broken up, most 'family men' ie those who have an 'other half' who controls the purse-strings may well have already allocated any spare cash for the next 8 weeks.

Therefore I don't imagine that 'she who must be obeyed' would take kindly to finding out that the holiday fund has been spent on a spare car, even if it is a Volvo.
Old Jul 24th, 2010, 09:32   #10
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Sorry you haven't been able to sell the car Zax. I was interested in the car to use as a donor for the manual gearbox, but its in too nice a condition to break for that, plus the timing is wrong for me at the moment (money and space).

Try pistonheads for a while - the car looks very nice and I'm sure you'll find a buyer who will appreciate it there.

Good luck.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
850, glt, sale, saloon