Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General > 300/66 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

360GLE Reluctant to part with

Views : 8432

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2013, 00:43   #41
isbjorn

Smile Quality assurance

Whoever is lucky enough to get this car doesn't have to worry about its provenance - my father bought it brand new in June 1986 on my mother's birthday, when he retired at 65 and kept it for nearly 20 years until he couldn't drive any more, you'll only find two names on the V5 history, his and mine. If the buyer is going to thrash it, don't tell me, I don't want to know - it's only ever received TLC and it would be nice to think it will continue to get the same. If they haven't siphoned the petrol out, then I've no reason to believe that it won't start and drive straight away. I am confident that whoever gets it will be well pleased with it.
isbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isbjorn For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 00:43   #42
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Andy is quite protective of nice cars, don't worry

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 17:44   #43
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Like your use of adjectives James: 'stinks, murky, racket' to describe the industry of salvage, sounds about right.
I nearly lost my '70 last month to this seedy sector, I was apoplectic!
Cheers
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 19:26   #44
Hell Driver

Don't worry, if I do get it you'll see it on here or V3M again! If I don't get it then it will go for a decent price anyway and so hopefully to a good home. It's currently up at £175. There are some cheeky extra costs when you do buy a car from them so I've not got to get too carried away. I bet they've had the petrol.

It would help greatly if you could rememember if the front valance was at all damaged, if it is then it could push up the cost/effort of repair.

Don't worry about my username....Hell Driver referes to my job not my driving style (I hope!) It's from the 1950's film of the same name about ballast drivers...I deliver aggregates. Then again, thinking about it I have pulled one or two manouvres from the film....allegedly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV9Vs9tOEaI

Last edited by Hell Driver; Jan 28th, 2013 at 19:36.
Hell Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 22:39   #45
OvlovS70
Still a learning member

Wondered if it was the film, one of my all time favs, McGoohan fan.
Sorry for off topic.
OvlovS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 00:27   #46
isbjorn

Thumbs up Valance & Grill

I'm not 100% certain, but I do not believe that the valance was damaged. If you look at the picture, the other car's bumper seems to have run just under my bumper and hence lifted and rotated it. The reg plate looks to be lined up where it's always been so, I think the valance escaped. The radiator grill became loose, but still loosely attached, when the 3rd party reversed away to disengage his car (which didn't have a mark on it - how did he get away with that?), so it may have been placed inside my car when it was recovered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010329C.jpg (114.2 KB, 21 views)
isbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 10:22   #47
Hell Driver

Thanks for that photo! I expect the other car absorbed most of the impact in that big sqaushy plastic ford bumper! Just tried to book a viewing but no slots untill after the auction tomorrow..bugger. I'll take a gamble that any damage is light.

As for the future of the car if I get it...I'll worry about that if it happens! I can't really justify keeping another one as I still have a GLS which I bought to 'save' which I really shouldn't keep either.

My aim at the moment is to make sure it doesn't go for scrap or dismantling for spares as it's too far nice for that. I'm not against drifting as such, but again, this cars too nice for that unless someone does it up properly and not just wreaks it. If I get it and fix it I'll probably have at least one to sell one other (probaby gold GLS). I would be tempted to keep the saloon as I've never owned or driven one.
Old Jan 29th, 2013, 10:22   #48
Chris_C
Gopher

If you need them Andy, I picked up some lights recently in a job lot of bits that the chap was looking to go to a good home. Not looked at what condition they are in, but they are yours if you do get it.

EDIT:

Thinking about it, I'll have at grill as well, think I have both normal chrome and GLT ones
Chris_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 00:29   #49
Hell Driver

I should be ok for lights thanks, I do have a few grills but not sure if they are the right ones, so that might be a help.

Edit: If it's just a standard one then I might have one or two about the place! Looking at photos on page 1, the GLE is the standard one. Black GLT might look nice! I have a GLS but thats for a MK2..wrong fit over the bumper.

Last edited by Hell Driver; Jan 30th, 2013 at 00:34.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 22:29   #50
Hell Driver

Good news, this car is now safely back in the VOC/V3M fold!!!

Or at least it will be by lunchtime tomorrow when I go to pick it up.

Will post some pictures when I get it, of damage and repairs. I do have a number of others to sort out too but hope this is an easy fix!

I can't wait to see it as I've never owned/driven a saloon. I didn't like them when the first came out years ago but they've grown on me at lot recently, thanks to seeing a few at V3M meets etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hell Driver For This Useful Post: