Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vredestein Quatrac Pro - anyone running these?

Views : 529

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 18:13   #1
MrM83

Default Vredestein Quatrac Pro - anyone running these?

My 3 year old OEM Pirelli P-Zeros were cracking around the sidewall which was both surprising and disappointing and Volvo advised a potential MOT fail, which is due within a week. However it has been an opportunity to swap for some all seasons which I’ve wanted to try for a while. Finding some in the OEM 275/35R22 is very hard so I followed suit from some others online and put 285/35R22 Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s on, minimal difference to the rolling circumference.

I needed to perform a TPMS recalibration as one corner wasn’t happy but managed to rectify that on second time of asking.

Today I drove ~60 miles so had a chance to get to “feel” them a bit. Firstly, if anything they feel smoother than the factory Pirelli’s, and despite not having PNCS tech, they aren’t noticeably noisier. I’m in no doubt they will offer more grip in tricky conditions, and are M+S marked.

The only downside is what seems like slower braking reaction. A couple of times the car didn’t stop when I expected it to / would have on Pirelli’s. I will caveat this with me driving a new little electric car of late which has very different braking characteristics, but all else being equal they don’t match the Pirelli’s for brake bite and stopping distance.

Curious if anyone else has done a similar change and experienced the same?

Cheers

Last edited by MrM83; Mar 23rd, 2024 at 18:25.
MrM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 19:40   #2
Davy Shearer

Default quatrac pro

i have quatrac pro in 235 50 19 on my v90cc i found the original pirelli tyres terrible in the ice/snow and poor grip when quickly moving off at lights in the wet .The quatrac are much better IMO way better in snow/ice/rain
Davy Shearer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 21:17   #3
MrM83

Thanks for your reply. I’m yet to experience them in that weather of course but I’m in no doubt about it. Can you comment on the braking / brake distance aspect?
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 11:34   #4
theonlyone

I have the Quatrac Pros on my V90 CC and find them excellent. They are rock solid in rain, and in snow they are similar to the Wintracs that I used to use on the now-defunct XC90. For a decade or more I used Wintracs on it year-round, but when they moved to the Wintrac Pro, I found that they were not as durable as the previous versions.

Braking with the Quatrac Pros is very good on the V90 CC, and they are lasting very well.
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 12:40   #5
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I have them on our Panda 4x4. Excellent tyres (Running Hankook 4S on the XC70)
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 14:58   #6
Murph7355

I can't stand Pirelli tyres of any description. I'm sure they only have the coverage they do because they pay marques to have them as "approved".

I'm a big Michelin fan. Cross Climate 2s on the current Volvo. Great tyres.

I think our new XC90 will be delivered with Continentals, which I'm not overly thrilled about, but better than Pirellis.
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 19:12   #7
theonlyone

I've got Cross Climate 2's on the used 2018 Discovery Sport I bought following the demise of the XC90. I like the Michelins, but Its hard to make a comparison with the Quatrac's on the V90 because the cars are so different.

I got the Land Rover as a kind of extended test drive to help decide if I want or need a new XC90 - which is realistically bigger than we need these days. (But maybe that should be a new thread?)
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 13:37   #8
MrM83

A couple of weeks in and I must admit I’m liking them after some adjustment. The ride quality seems a little softer and not as jarring as the P Zero’s on 22”s. I can’t say I’ve noticed a significant change in road noise or economy, but then I don’t do many miles so the latter is more subjective. I’m also pleased to say I’ve not had braking distance issues so can only assume it’s either and adjustment on my part or the tyres bedding in. Despite being a mere 10mm wider than OEM, they seem to give the car more visual stance somehow.

Would recommend them for consideration if anyone is in the market for some all seasons with a caveat that I have yet to try them in all seasons!