Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60: Carplay and Android Auto not detected

Views : 782

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 11:43   #1
oliverhill79

Default XC60: Carplay and Android Auto not detected

Hi all,

I'm in the UK and I've recently bought a 2021 XC60 B5 (first registered March 2021) and from everything I've read it should support both Apple's Carplay and Android Auto, but I'm having no luck with these features.

When I connect an iPhone or Android phone to the USB port with the white border the car does not respond in any way. I've also tried the other USB (non-white border) and this also does nothing. Both of the phones charge from the white border port and the Android phone pops up a connection type notification. To this I of course select the 'Android Auto' option but it does nothing. I've tried other USB connection modes on the phone and they also do nothing.

I can connect both devices to the car via Bluetooth for calls/notifications but of course this does not provide the almost essential google maps navigation feature. (essential because the Volvo's own sat nav is really poor and I guess they don't really expect you to use it!)

I've tried a factory restart and I've also connected the car to Wifi and made sure the system and all installed apps are up to date.

I'm certain there are not issues with the phones or cables because using them in another car (non Volvo) they are both detected immediately after connecting them. I don't have access to another XC60 to try.

If anybody is able to help with some troubleshooting steps that might point me in the right direction that would be amazing.

I do have the option of taking it back to the dealer for them to look, but it's a three hour round trip and I'd rather avoid that if there is something I can do to resolve this.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Last edited by oliverhill79; Mar 17th, 2024 at 11:48.
oliverhill79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:21   #2
apnicolle

From what you’ve mentioned about the in-built Volvo navigation being poor, that means that you most likely have the Sensus version of the system.

Which means that Android Auto and Apple CarPlay were most often an option, which the dealer can install. Also during the covid period Volvo were removing features due to parts availability issues.

I seem to recall it cost £300 to get the dealer to install and didn’t take long.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:34   #3
oliverhill79

Thanks apnicolle,

That's interesting - I wasn't even aware it wasn't just a 'standard feature'. For a car made in 2020/2021 I'm really surprised given that it's been around for so long now. Everywhere I saw on the Volvo site just seemed to say if you've got a white border around your USB port then you have Carplay and plugging in the phone will just work!

Is there anywhere I can check in the settings that would tell me (or could indicate perhaps by an option being missing) that this feature was not installed/available?

I think I saw another post which said you could view a list of Carplay users up to a Maximum of 10, but I didn't see anything like this on my car, which might indicate the feature is not installed - or simply that I looked in the wrong place.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:58   #4
apnicolle

Yes it wasn’t standard, or rather wasn’t standard all of the time. The white box around the usb just means that it has the hardware capability but not necessarily the actual software installed.

There should be a greyed out icon for Android Auto and Apple Car Play on the screen that shows all icons, if it is installed. If they’re not showing then it’s probably not installed.

Of course if the dealer said it was installed then you’ll probably have to go and visit them.
V90 Cross Country D4 2017 Polestar, XC90 D5 ES 2014, C70 T5 SE 2008, S60 2.0T SE2006, V40 1.9D SE 2004, S40 1.8GDI SE 2002
apnicolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:58   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverhill79 View Post
Everywhere I saw on the Volvo site just seemed to say if you've got a white border around your USB port then you have Carplay and plugging in the phone will just work!

Is there anywhere I can check in the settings that would tell me (or could indicate perhaps by an option being missing) that this feature was not installed/available?
The 'white border around the USB port' isn't a reliable indicator that CarPlay is installed - MY21 XC60s came with the 2 USB ports fitted as standard.

For MY21 Android Auto/Carplay was not provided as standard at any trim level. There were provided as part of Harman Kardon and Bowers and Wilkins sound systems (which were themselves options), or as part of the Smartphone Integration option.

CarPlay has a couple of settings in Settings->Communication->CarPlay. If these are not visible then CarPlay is not installed.

Android Auto/Carplay is available as an accessory from Volvo dealers for £300.

TBH it isn't the greatest implementation in the world - Android Auto/CarPlay does not take over the the full centre screen, instead occupying the about half the screen.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 13:04   #6
oliverhill79

Thanks techwatcher,

When using google maps navigation via Carplay/AndroidAuto does it present in the driver display as well as the main (central) sensus display panel?

Just trying to understand if it would be worth £300
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 13:42   #7
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverhill79 View Post
Thanks techwatcher,

When using google maps navigation via Carplay/AndroidAuto does it present in the driver display as well as the main (central) sensus display panel?

Just trying to understand if it would be worth £300
No it doesn't - Google Maps in Carplay is shown on the main Sensus display only.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 13:57   #8
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Car Play does't offer the turn by turn facility in the Driver Display, not sure about AA.
There are two versions to choose from. Apple Car Play or Smartphone Integration, depends wether you are solely a Apple user or you use both. Both options are the same price. If you are in no hurry just hang fire, special offers come round regularly, last time I think it was £180.

https://volvocarsaccessories.co.uk/A...ccessory/40941

https://volvocarsaccessories.co.uk/A...ccessory/40945
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 15:17   #9
Hadajag

Is it possible to download Waze on Sensus cars? If so as Waze is now owned by Google and is Google maps based then if the OP only wants Car Play and AA to access Google maps then might this be a possible solution.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 16:14   #10
oliverhill79

Thanks everybody.

That's a big shame that it doesn't display google maps navigation in the driver display. I wonder why they didn't/couldn't integrate that as it's a really nice feature.

So I guess it's a choice of having a more awkward to use + traffic/road closure unaware sat nav that's 'free' and displays in the driver's display or paying ~£300 and needing to look down at the main screen.

Maybe I'll try living with the included sat nav for now and see how I get on with it and lookout for a special offer.

Thank you all again.

Tags
android auto, carplay xc60