Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Some random minor questions v70

Views : 1830

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2022, 18:16   #1
Bigblue74

Default Some random minor questions v70

After doing some of the bigger issues on my v70 I have been looking at some minor irritations, I’m not sure if they are faults or just how the cars are generally
1st one is sometimes the car will just spit the key back out when I first put it in, any ideas why that maybe? Fob battery going low ?
2nd annoyance it sometimes the handbrake won’t release until I press the footbrake, always manages to catch me out pulling away from lights, only does it occasionally so not sure it’s right.
3rd one is low beam ………it’s truly awful, I’ve fitted updated bulbs (osram) but still they’re terrible, high beam are fine, any mods for this? I had a mk2 golf gti years ago and on those there was an issue with voltage to the bulbs
Car is 2010 2.4d manual
Thanks
Gary
Bigblue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 19:22   #2
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue74 View Post
After doing some of the bigger issues on my v70 I have been looking at some minor irritations, I’m not sure if they are faults or just how the cars are generally
1st one is sometimes the car will just spit the key back out when I first put it in, any ideas why that maybe? Fob battery going low ?
2nd annoyance it sometimes the handbrake won’t release until I press the footbrake, always manages to catch me out pulling away from lights, only does it occasionally so not sure it’s right.
3rd one is low beam ………it’s truly awful, I’ve fitted updated bulbs (osram) but still they’re terrible, high beam are fine, any mods for this? I had a mk2 golf gti years ago and on those there was an issue with voltage to the bulbs
Car is 2010 2.4d manual
Thanks
Gary
#2, why do you put your handbrake on at the lights?

#3 , there is a recent thread on here about adjusting the lights.
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 20:31   #3
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Our V70 suffered from lowbeamitis earlier this year. The problem was caused by the actuating arm popping off the sensor under the offside wheel arch. I couldn't get the arm completely back in place so had to secure it with a fairly butch cable tie.
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 21:18   #4
passenger
Master Member

2. Press brake to release parking brake or just start drive - el parking brake will release automatically
3 First do adjusting.
passenger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 22:11   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The parking brake operation design is to ensure that the car will not roll back when the parking brake is released. If you want to take off the brake without driving away, it demands that you hold the car on the foot brake before pulling the EPB lever (not pressing it as that applies it not releases it). If you want to drive away, the forward motion of the car stops it rolling back so the foot brake is not required. This is quite logical in both cases and fits Volvo's safety protocols.

Few drivers take off the hand brake without their foot on the brake pedal and if you don't do this automatically, you will have to train yourself to use the Volvo in this way as it won't let you leave the car able to roll away uncontrolled. I find driving off without manually releasing the parking brake is very cool!
Old Dec 4th, 2022, 22:12   #6
Bigblue74

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
#2, why do you put your handbrake on at the lights?

#3 , there is a recent thread on here about adjusting the lights.
Bit confused by that, why wouldn’t I put the handbrake on at traffic lights, for me there is nothing worse at night being sat behind someone holding it on the footbrake
Mine is manual so no park
I did read about adjusting but when the mot tester did it I asked how they were he told they were spot on, I do however tend to think they weren’t checked properly so will double check
Bigblue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigblue74 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 08:51   #7
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue74 View Post
Bit confused by that, why wouldn’t I put the handbrake on at traffic lights, for me there is nothing worse at night being sat behind someone holding it on the footbrake
Yesbut you won’t be sitting behind you, annoying yourself. Manual hb yes, but to faff about leaning forward, then realeasing……not for me. Tbh, I can’t ever remember being irritated by brake lights in front, whilst stoped. Maybe I would apply the hb on an incline at a junction, anyway, if that’s how you drive then fine, it’s not for me to criticize. Would have preferred a manual hb anyway. I remember watching Wallander, with Kenneth Branagh, who drove an xc70, and several times , for effect, when pulling up to stop, he made out he was pulling on the handbrake. Also on Vera, she makes out she’s changing gear in that old Landrover, but she can only drive auto, so the Landrover was converted to auto for her, and she NEVER, takes her keys with her when she gets out, and never locks the doors. ( I must get out more)
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 12:28   #8
apersson850
Premier Member

The electric parking brake on our XC70's are the least maintenance demanding parking brake design I've ever owned. Would definitely not wish a mechanical one again.

The parking brake releases automatically when you press the accelerator pedal and wear the safety belt properly. Otherwise not.

Of course there's no reason to use the parking brake at the stop lights. If anybody behind you doesn't like the brake lights, they can just look the other way. They are at standstill anyway.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 13:28   #9
simboc2004
SimboC2004

Though not a fan of electronic parking brakes, I have got used to it now and apply it whenever I am at traffic lights for a while, or when I am waiting at a junction on a slight slope. This means I can move off without juggling handbrake and throttle. The only problem comes when I start to make a move, but then have to stop again. You then have to reapply the handbrake again via the "button" - otherwise it will roll backwards...

As to problems with it not releasing when starting from traffic lights, I find the handbrake always releases itself when I move off - the only time it won't release is if the seatbelt isn't fastened - then you have to press the brake pedal first. Mine's a manual too.

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2022, 14:07   #10
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

I'm not a massive fan of electronic handbrakes either, though I'm pretty much resigned to them these days. My behaviour varies. If I have to stop for a few seconds I'll hold the car in 'D' with the footbrake. Longer periods I might put the handbrake on and select neutral. If I have one irritation it is that you pull the handbrake button to release it rather than pull to set it. Counterintuitive to me, but hey ho. What catches me out regularly is that the wiper operation on our other car is @rse about face to the Volvo.