Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whiring noise coming from engine

Views : 3713

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2015, 20:47   #1
andylane1

Default Whiring noise coming from engine

Hi Everybody.

After a long absence (5 Years) I am back in the Volvo fold. And after two days of ownership (S60 2.0T) I am already regretting my decision to come back after 5 trouble free years with a 2001 Honda Accord. Hopefully this is just a small issue.

I am getting a Whining/Whirring from the engine bay. It seems to be coming from the front and near where the Aux belt is. It is there from all RPM and from when you start the car but is barely noticeable on tick over but as soon as you press the accelerator you can hear it. It is noticeable while driving except at motorway speed when I assume it is drowned out by tyre and wind noise. All the belts have been replaced by the previous owner in the last few months. I do not remember hearing it when I test drove but like all these things. You only notice them after the fact. I believe it is the alternator or alternator free wheel pulley and here is why. The previous owner replaced the battery recently (or at least said they did.) when I plug my diag tool into the OBD 2 port and use the software on my phone it is telling me that the battery voltage is 13.2 when the car is running. even when I have the car running at high RPM it never goes above 13.6. Now maybe I am putting 2+2 together and getting 6 so that is why I am asking for help. I don't want to go and start replacing stuff when I do not need to.

So has anybody any ideas on this. I've scoured the site and listened to countless youtube vids and nothing seems to sound like the noise I am hearing. I have included a link to my Soundcloud account where I have uploaded a sound recording of the noise.

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-lane-38/zoom0005wav

Hopefully somebody can help me as this really is not a great start to owning another Volvo after all the issues with the last one. Maybe it's just teething troubles.

Thanks for all your help guys & Gals.

Andy
andylane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 22:23   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Sounds like a bearing failing so possibly your alternator pulley.
A video would be MUCH more helpful.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 22:27   #3
Dancake
Premier Member

It sounds remarkably like a power steering pump that is close to giving up the ghost
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 22:38   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Definitely a bearing but not a sound I have heard before on any of the aux equipment it's a very fine sort of noise not the rough sounding noises I've heard on failing alternator pulleys and idlers. I to would be inclined to check the power steering pump but also have a peak under the timing cover and see if all looks in good order.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 22:40   #5
marcb
Master Member

+1 for the power steering pump - I had a recon pump fitted on ours that made a similar noise and was particularly noticeable when accelerating but not so much if the car was coasting. The garage replaced the pump (with another bad one but for a different reason...)

M.
marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 23:37   #6
andylane1

Thank you all for getting back to me.

I initially thought the power steering pump myself but as its at the top of the engine I can pretty much put my ear to it and the sound does not appear to be coming from there. plus when I move the wheel from lock to lock the sound does not change at all. I may be wrong though. the sound is there all the time at any RPM above tick over. The only time I don't hear it is when driving at regular speed (not motorway) is when I am coming to a stop at traffic lights so I press the clutch and coast to a stop. I was just linking it to the alternator as there is only the 13.6V at most (even with the revs up) going to the battery according to the Diagnostic software. This really has me stumped.

I'll take a video tomorrow and upload it to my YouTube channel. Oh and I had the timing cover off and it is not coming from there. All looks good and inline with the paperwork from the previous owner in relation to the belts and pulley's being replaced two months ago.

Last edited by andylane1; Sep 14th, 2015 at 23:41. Reason: Added last paragraph
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 00:03   #7
Dancake
Premier Member

Get yourself a long screwdriver, a long socket extension or a mechanics stethoscope and place it on whatever components you can around where you think the noise is coming from. Then put your ear to it and you'll be able to find the source of the noise in no time.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 14:26   #8
Brendan W
Premier Member

My general approach to these noises is to remove the alternator aux belt and run the car. This will confirm that it is aux related. Human ears are not the best.
Low charging voltage points strongly to the alternator. It could be mechanical or electrical.
13.2 is marginal, should be well over 14 with a few revs on. Might be worth checking that both connections to the alternator are secure.
While the belt is off check all pulleys and see that the a/c compressor pulley is free and smooth. The bearing inside can fail. I can't hear the audio file for some reason. My a/c clutch bearing got rough and made a nasal moaning sound with a max intensity at about 1200 rpm with the a/c off.
Corresponding rpm on petrol could be higher by 50% ish.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 20:45   #9
D5meister
Premier Member

Im with Brendan. Get the big Torx for the Aux Tensioner and a 2foot bar.

Slacken, remove aux belt.

Run it and redo test.

If good like this, the Waterpump, Cambelt Tensioner, Cambelt Idler are good.

So if still there could be Vac pump?

If not there - So its on Aux circuit, Id plum for the Aircon Cllutch pulley bearing based on the sound

good audio clip BTW

Im not copying Brendan here! I just have the same view here..

Last edited by D5meister; Sep 15th, 2015 at 20:47.
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 10:48   #10
andylane1

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for getting back to me. I picked up a Stethoscope (thanks for the suggestion Dancake) and the noise is coming from the Alternator. Thing is I don't know whether to replace the whole thing or just the clutch pulley. Would the clutch pulley cause the drop in voltage? Im thinking I'm probably better going the whole hog and getting a refurbished alternator, as its a big enough job getting the whole thing out I don't want to have to be doing it twice on a car I need to run everyday. The problem I am having is that every place I do seems to be saying there are four different types of alternator for the car and I need to have the part number. I've looked further into it and I think I have narrowed it down to two different types a 140Amp and a 160Amp. Is there any way I can tell which it is without taking it out? It seems to come down to model year my car was registered in 2004 but I think it is the 2005 model year. is there any way I can tell? Thanks again for all your help.

And also thanks to Brendan and D5meister for the A/C info. I had not even considered it. Also D5meister/Brendan what size spanner or Torx do I need to the Aux tensioner and remove the Aux belt?

Andy

Tags
alternator, s60, s60 2.0t