Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tailored wool upholstery

Views : 2475

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2022, 19:44   #11
ian77

I’m ok with keeping pale upholstery clean, I’ve got the blonde city weave and it looks almost as good as new 4 years in. Helps that the kids are older now, leather was good for cleaning up travel sickness when they were little…

Always used to have leather but I’ve really liked having the city weave cloth hence looking at the tailored wool. The combination of that with sports seats, charcoal headlining and crystal shifter is, in my view, better than the basic leather or the slightly odd nappa sports seats with the non-leather rear seats. I’ve got 4 weeks to find an example at a dealer to see for real!
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 21:01   #12
Dohnut

I think they tailored wool looks great.

I like the contrast of dark carpets, dash, headlining with light seats.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 21:31   #13
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The tailored wool looks ok (not for me) however I would consider that potentially a very very hard sell used…
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 00:39   #14
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I'm in my first ever leather car, when I got her home 1st job was cleanse and condition, to my surprise there was no dirt on the wipes I used but they did remove the glossy look and put it back to not dull but not reflective either,

The best thing about cloth is it's not so temperature sensitive so you don't get burnt in the heat or freeze the tiddler off in the winter,

It's each to their own tbh and the wool might jump out in the flesh, it just looks like an old fella's grey flannel trousers to me though, I hope you are pleased with whichever one you settle on in the end. ps I'd pick the darker one out of the 2 if you do go for the wool.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 21:23   #15
segakid

I have the slate wool seats and love them. So much better than leather which literally has no temperature it is good in. Only downsides are that you don’t get massage seats in the wool and maybe it won’t wear so well. Tbh I’ve got 40/50 year old cars with cloth seats and they’ve worn pretty well.
segakid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to segakid For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 07:00   #16
bluebarchetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
I'm in my first ever leather car, when I got her home 1st job was cleanse and condition, to my surprise there was no dirt on the wipes I used but they did remove the glossy look and put it back to not dull but not reflective either.
The shininess comes from oil in our skins and is not the original finish. Leather cleaners are generally intended to return the leather to a matt finish.
bluebarchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluebarchetta For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 08:01   #17
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

I bought my XC90 at 68k and it’s now at 125k.

Twice a year I get Autoglym leather cleaner and put all 7 seats up and clean them.

Then I use autoglym feed, wipe it on, leave it half an hour and then wipe it off.

My blonde leather looks as new. I move logs, go out in all weather etc.

Maybe the Mk1 seats, being a bit more basic, are easier to keep clean. But certainly I don’t believe it should be hard to maintain blonde leather.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 12:51   #18
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I'm simply using some wipes I found in B&M, I didn't expect much from them given they are £1 for a pack of 50 but they remove the body oil really well, don't leave it smeary and the seats after 3 goes are now quite a bit softer than when I picked the car up, I'm mainly doing it to avoid the UV cracking and the tug factor on the body moving across a drier surface which I believe comes into play to first stress the stitching and then make the stitch holes brittle causing the tears and splits,

Luckily for me being tall I have the seat in a position that avoids the constant friction to the bolster that getting in and out causes, the B pillar takes most of the battering.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 22:14   #19
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gathercole View Post
Not sure if it's "midnight zinc" but I've got the tailored wool in my V90 and I'm quite happy with it, with one exception. On my Late MY22 Inscription car the seat is the "sports" seat from the R-design family which I didn't really want but had to go with it to avoid leather seats which my wife didn't want.

Also, if you haven't already spotted it be aware that ventilated seats are not (or at least were not for MY22) available.
There is no point to ventilation on fabric seats, I’ve never seen a car with it. Only leather.