Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 804676

Replies : 6188

Users Viewing This Thread : Paulk

Old Jun 30th, 2022, 13:17   #1781
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm not sure 240s lend themselves well to even mild customisation such at lowering the springs and fitting much larger wheels.
Imagine doing that...and then going and winning the ETCC

https://www.media.volvocars.com/uk/e...roup-a-racecar

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 20:02   #1782
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The only positive comment I would have, is that it does look clean and it’s not a huge sum of money.

I do think it will be a hard sel.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 01:25   #1783
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
I think our motor cars attract fairly conservative owners that tend towards originality. I'm not sure 240s lend themselves well to even mild customisation such at lowering the springs and fitting much larger wheels.
Hot-rodding perhaps not, but there's no better (pre-Subaru) rally car.
Huge pair of 9" spots up front (removing rear seat and door cards optional) and you'll look the part, even if you never have to slide sideways past an elk...
BicycleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 01:31   #1784
BicycleBoy
Master Member

We have a new winner:
https://www.collectionbyvermant.be/n...-turbo-group-a
£108k for a replica. Damn droolworthy replica mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 07:05   #1785
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
We have a new winner:
https://www.collectionbyvermant.be/n...-turbo-group-a
£108k for a replica. Damn droolworthy replica mind.
Whatever floats your boat.

:-)
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 13:12   #1786
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you for that BicycleBoy, I had no idea; I'd always assumed that was the Ford Pop domain.

I don't think I'll be fitting air suspension, a V8 motor and undercar lighting to Great Aunt Maud :-).

Alan

PS. I'm not surprised about there being a dearth of 140/240 models in the custom scene. I think our motor cars attract fairly conservative owners that tend towards originality. I'm not sure 240s lend themselves well to even mild customisation such at lowering the springs and fitting much larger wheels.
They were designed with aesthetics in mind, by messing around with the proportions the essence of the car is lost. I think the 240s are beautifully proportioned, someone once described them as 'kinetic sculpture'. Also the practicality of a good ground clearance is lost by lowering, often one hears lowered cars scraping across speed bumps, what's the point?!
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angie For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 13:54   #1787
BicycleBoy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
Also the practicality of a good ground clearance is lost by lowering, often one hears lowered cars scraping across speed bumps, what's the point?!
Apparently they go round corners faster on lower suspension, but the really lower ones are just a different aesthetic and probably don't corner well at any speed.

Perhaps the air-lift suspension isn't such a dumb idea for lowered vehicles, as it at least offers the option of driving the car at the correct height, and lowering whilst static, rather than trying to find a compromise spring height.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BicycleBoy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 14:17   #1788
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie View Post
They were designed with aesthetics in mind, by messing around with the proportions the essence of the car is lost. I think the 240s are beautifully proportioned, someone once described them as 'kinetic sculpture'. Also the practicality of a good ground clearance is lost by lowering, often one hears lowered cars scraping across speed bumps, what's the point?!
Each to their own, i preferred the looks of the facelift 140-series to the 240 series with the round headlights but with square or rectangular headlamps, the 240 becomes better looking - until the early 80s facelift that gave them the slightly curvy rectangular headlamps then they looked bloated.

As for ground clearance, given the number of speed humps and potholes, it's a necessity in most places, also having an aversion to paying for chiropractors, i prefer a slightly higher ride height with more comfort these days.

Quote:
Apparently they go round corners faster on lower suspension, but the really lower ones are just a different aesthetic and probably don't corner well at any speed.

Perhaps the air-lift suspension isn't such a dumb idea for lowered vehicles, as it at least offers the option of driving the car at the correct height, and lowering whilst static, rather than trying to find a compromise spring height.
It's all about lowering the centre of gravity which reduces weight transfer and lower springs tend to be stiffer as well, transferring any weight transfer from corniering into the tyres for increased grip. Reduced body roll is allegedly a benefit too but i prefer stiffer anti-roll bars on standard suspension to give a compliant ride in a straight line with improved cornering ability.

An air lift suspension system that can be adjusted while driving gives the best of both worlds allegedly, certainly the only car i've traveled in that had that facility (from the factory which might have some influence) gave a really smooth ride with taut handling.
One other benefit of air suspension is if it deflates when parked, it helps reduce the risk of catalytic converter theft as the tea-leaves can't get their trolley jacks under the car - obviously not applicable to most 240s and anything older than 1992 in general but could be useful for some.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 15:03   #1789
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

If one needed to go round corners quickly then a 240 would be a poor choice of motor car, there are many more suitable models for fast cornering.

I think lowering is just for looks, I doubt there are any other advantages (but lots of disadvantages) over Mr Volvo’s design.

Everyone to their own though.

Alan
Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 15:17   #1790
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
If one needed to go round corners quickly then a 240 would be a poor choice of motor car, there are many more suitable models for fast cornering.

I think lowering is just for looks, I doubt there are any other advantages (but lots of disadvantages) over Mr Volvo’s design.

Everyone to their own though.

Alan
Lowering the car drops the centre of gravity as i'm sure you know already Alan. Also as pointed out above, the lower springs tend to be stiffer reducing body roll and improving weight transfer onto the tyres.

The compromise is a harsher ride but even Volvo lowered their rally/race cars so there must be some advantages, whether we percieve them or not.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: