Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Very Excesssive Smoke

Views : 5305

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2022, 07:59   #31
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, cannot help here other than to give you continued support to get this nightmare resolved.

Many thanks for these reports and let's hope you get a positive resolution quickly.

Regards John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 12:39   #32
paultyler1

OK, latest update. In spite of the Volvo garage being told by my insurance company that they have to redo the work and find the original fault they have done nothing. Volvo France don't answer my emails, Volvo International in Sweden say they are "escalating my concerns" but nothing happens. My Volvo garage in the UK have given me a letter stating what they would have done if I had bought the car to them for repair - the French Volvo garage did none of the necessary checks.

It now seems that I may have to resort to legal procedures to resolve the matter but before I do has anyone got any suggestions. I doubt if a letter to "honest John" would help as I live in France. I've noticed that Volvo has a new CEO (Jim Rowan) - does anyone have an email address for him?
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
paultyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 16:27   #33
paultyler1

Well, latest in this very sad saga. Volvo International are no longer contactable by phone. Emails only and they never answer. Volvo France say it is nothing to do with them and that they have passed my complaint on to the garage who do nothing. Without doubt, Volvo have the worst customer care of any organisation that I have come across. They don't know the meaning of the phrase.

My insurance company is backing me and we are now commencing legal action against the garage and Volvo. Even having told them this, both these organisations do nothing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get the maximum publicity for this case?
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 21:09   #34
ltec

You probably should start a separate thread on dealing with volvo and not just on the xc90 part of the forum. There has to be loads of other people who has already dealt with them similarly. I know of a local case and volvo wouldn't stand over a problem and he had to take it to court. The car lay for ages though but in the end he won and volvo had to sort it.
ltec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ltec For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 07:26   #35
paultyler1

Back to this subject again... the garage is now saying that it is not unusual to replace a turbo at less than 200k kms (124k miles). This seems stupid to me. Has anyone else had this problem? I've had 2 XC70's with D5 engines which have both done over 300k miles with no problems.

I did put a general question on the diesel engine section of the forum but got no replies so I'll ask it here - what is generally thought to be the life of regularly serviced D5 engine?
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 11:52   #36
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler1 View Post
Back to this subject again... the garage is now saying that it is not unusual to replace a turbo at less than 200k kms (124k miles). This seems stupid to me. Has anyone else had this problem? I've had 2 XC70's with D5 engines which have both done over 300k miles with no problems.

I did put a general question on the diesel engine section of the forum but got no replies so I'll ask it here - what is generally thought to be the life of regularly serviced D5 engine?

I don't know about Volvo fitted Turbo's but a VW or PSA one can go very regularly at as low as 30k.

Keep the pressure on there's no way they can stripe you that much money and then say hard luck, they're buck passing between each other right now and I think the end result if you have to go legal to get a result is the garage that did the work will have to cough for it. They won't want to hence why they are stonewalling you hoping you'll go away.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 15:16   #37
paultyler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
I don't know about Volvo fitted Turbo's but a VW or PSA one can go very regularly at as low as 30k.

Keep the pressure on there's no way they can stripe you that much money and then say hard luck, they're buck passing between each other right now and I think the end result if you have to go legal to get a result is the garage that did the work will have to cough for it. They won't want to hence why they are stonewalling you hoping you'll go away.
I agree. I think they are hoping I will give up or die. The first isn't going to happen and I'm hoping the second will not anytime soon!
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paultyler1 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 15:58   #38
Lancee
Premier Member

Chin up and soldier on. IMHO the main thing is to be aware of any related stress issues.

For many people this would likely be all consuming and pretty unbearable. Most would crumble and give in, as alluded to, all part of the game.

If you are financially secure enough, keep playing the game.

I will follow your progress (keep coming with the updates!), and wish you all the best for, what should be, a right and fair outcome.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 17:54   #39
paultyler1

I intend to carry on and, to be honest, the attitude of Volvo (as opposed to the dealer) is absolutely appalling.

In connection with this, I always thought that the turbo was water cooled. Can someone confirm or deny this. The dealer says the turbo isn't part of the cooling system - which I suppose (strictly speaking) it isn't but does water actually circulate through it? Or is it oil cooled?
Fiat 500 Dolcevita
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 21:14   #40
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler1 View Post
I intend to carry on and, to be honest, the attitude of Volvo (as opposed to the dealer) is absolutely appalling.

In connection with this, I always thought that the turbo was water cooled. Can someone confirm or deny this. The dealer says the turbo isn't part of the cooling system - which I suppose (strictly speaking) it isn't but does water actually circulate through it? Or is it oil cooled?
I believe it will be oil cooled.

Volvo won't be wanting to touch it due to it's age, it's a car that left them 10 years ago and I have to kinda agree with them.

However the dealer a completely different story and I hope you get them to put it right one way or another, it's time misdiagnosis was re-compensated and when they fit the wrong things they should stand by them and only charge for the actual fault, right now they can guess as many times as they like and the customer stands there with a bill after bill and still doesn't get a result.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote