Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is it a sellers’ market for Volvo?

Views : 4146

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 23:36   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default Is it a sellers’ market for Volvo?

Out of curiosity, has anyone else here experienced trouble trying to buy a new XC60?

I’ve now had 2 salespeople from different Volvo dealers start off being very happy and keen to do a deal, only to then suddenly vanish. Seems a bizarre concept to me having lived in the US where car dealers climb over themselves to get a sale.

I can only assume that Volvo dealers must be completely overwhelmed with the sheer number of potential buyers at the moment, lined up down the road, with money burning a hole in their pockets post lock-down – i.e., a sellers’ market. They can pick and choose who to sell to and who to ignore. Nice position to be in as a seller.

It may now be time to leave Volvo behind with is masses of buyers and look at another SUV manufacturer.
Old Jun 2nd, 2021, 23:58   #2
RailwayRev

I can only speak as someone who was in the market for a second hand Volvo. However, my experience over the last few weeks is that there is a shortage of stock.
One dealer told me that he is being inundated with interest in anything that can tow and put it down to the situation with holidays abroad being off at the moment and people looking to buy a caravan to use in the UK.
RailwayRev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailwayRev For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 12:11   #3
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Same for any premium makes at the moment. Used prices are going up due to the lack of used cars coming onto the market.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 12:45   #4
Rocinante
Master Member

I bought my Volvo (which I'm still driving) from a dealer 6 years ago, and got an unprompted call a couple of months ago if I had any interest in buying a car from them.

I wasn't, so not sure what would have happened should I have pursued it, but the fact they were pursing a very old lead, suggests that particular dealer is still interested in trying to sell cars.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 13:51   #5
amadan

I’m looking at selling my car at the moment and it’s gone up £4000 with WBAC in the last couple of months.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 14:56   #6
BroadwayBlueshirt

It`s a sellers market for all cars just now.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 15:11   #7
PARKY BOY

I sold my xc60 for free a couple of months back in just 3hrs with Wizzle, got 25% more than my quoted trade-in price again my new V60, hadn't heard of them before a Google search, but read the 5-star reviews on Trust Pilot and thought I would give it a go as a free service.
Very simple procedure to list your car, upload a few photos and wait for offers from vetted dealers, you seem to get some instant low offers from the likes of WBAC but I followed the advice I had read to disregard these and wait for better offers.
I had a phone call after 20 minutes offering me £500 more than my list price, as all offers are valid for 3 days I waited to see if I would get any better offers, I had several more over the next couple of hours before finally excepting one.
The dealer phone and paid a deposit within minutes, then travelled down with trade plates to collect the car a few days later, had a quick look round the car to ensure I had been honest with my listing and then paid the full balance into my bank account.
I will certainly use them next time, fantastic service, and totally free.
PARKY BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 16:08   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone else here experienced trouble trying to buy a new XC60?

I’ve now had 2 salespeople from different Volvo dealers start off being very happy and keen to do a deal, only to then suddenly vanish. Seems a bizarre concept to me having lived in the US where car dealers climb over themselves to get a sale.

I can only assume that Volvo dealers must be completely overwhelmed with the sheer number of potential buyers at the moment, lined up down the road, with money burning a hole in their pockets post lock-down – i.e., a sellers’ market. They can pick and choose who to sell to and who to ignore. Nice position to be in as a seller.

It may now be time to leave Volvo behind with is masses of buyers and look at another SUV manufacturer.
Yes Volvos sales have been up up up in the last 5 years the slope is continuous even through the virus ...

The XC 40 is at the top of the premium C SUV group and selling more than the ford focus for example at present .
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 22:49   #9
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes Volvos sales have been up up up in the last 5 years the slope is continuous even through the virus ...

The XC 40 is at the top of the premium C SUV group and selling more than the ford focus for example at present .
But that isn’t the reason now, there is a shortage of new cars due to chip shortages, there is a shortage of nearly new as the rental companies didn’t buy cars in lockdown last year, and there is pent up demand with people wanting to spend their lockdown savings.....

Supply below demand - prices forced up...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2021, 20:59   #10
lordofthejungle

Default searching high and low for the right xc90

yes it is a sellers market. i have missed out on few cars by being half a day late after seeing the car on autotrader...saw one today, have paid a refundable deposit. fingers crossed the car is the right one??!!
lordofthejungle is offline   Reply With Quote