Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where is the fuel pressure regulator on my C70 convertible?

Views : 2443

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2021, 21:56   #11
ITSv40
VOC Member

According to Haynes: pre ME7 have a fuel pressure regulator attached to the fuel rail. ME7 - which yours is - has a fuel pressure damper. This is located under the fuel rail between no1 and no2 cylinder injector, it is a little round disc that clips into the fuel rail in the same manner as the injectors.

To replace: remove the fuel rail, complete with the injectors, from the manifold and then remove the damper from the rail.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of Haynes, but hope this helps.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 05:28   #12
PNuT
MaDMaN

That is a damper rather than the regulator, they fitted those on the fuel rail around 97 onwards and moved the regulator to the fuel line near the steering rack and used a vacuum feed line that ran along the water pipe at the rear of the block.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 08:45   #13
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
According to Haynes: pre ME7 have a fuel pressure regulator attached to the fuel rail. ME7 - which yours is - has a fuel pressure damper. This is located under the fuel rail between no1 and no2 cylinder injector, it is a little round disc that clips into the fuel rail in the same manner as the injectors.

To replace: remove the fuel rail, complete with the injectors, from the manifold and then remove the damper from the rail.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of Haynes, but hope this helps.
I have just had a look at the fuel rail on mine. There is nothing attached to it apart from the injectors and the fuel pipe going straight into the rail between no1 and 2 injectors and a shraeder valve on the end by no 5. No regulator or damper, so the above can be ignored. I cannot see down back of the engine to see the regulator that Pnut mentions. I would need the car up on the lift to see underneath and my son's car is on that at the moment - so not much help I'm afraid.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 09:31   #14
PNuT
MaDMaN

I have had a look at my Me7 car and can not see a FPR anywhere!
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 22:53   #15
Goupil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
The item in the first picture is the FPR....
I'd agree on that one, would be that part
https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...lator/1048712/
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 04:35   #16
Dusty Miller

Thank you very much for your advice and comments. Basically, my C70 sometimes (i.e. not all the time) starts when the weather is cool in the morning but won't start when the weather is warm/hot or start again if it has started when cool. Two weeks ago it let me down twice on hot days - I drove two trips of 6 and 10 miles and when I came back to the car a couple of hours later it wouldn't start. Left it overnight and it fired up straightway in the morning and I drove home. So we think the problem is heat related. However, we replaced the PCV system so we may have disturbed something in the fitting process or it's just pure coincidence. I have owned the car since 2013 and its been brilliant all the time until now! Have replaced fuel pump, fuel pump relay, coolant temp sensor and cleaned the MAF. Local garage thinks fuelling issue and the FPR, wherever it is!! Local longstanding Volvo dealer not too interested as their info says its on the rail and we know it's not. No engine check light have come on. Next step is a no start analysis with a good OBD to se of that shows anything.
Dusty Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 08:43   #17
Luxobarge
Premier Member

OK, so there's a fair bit of guessing going on here. Rather than worrying about the FPR location right now, why not get a fuel pressure guage and see what the pressure actually is on the rail in a no-start condition - that way you know for sure whether you have a fuel pressure issue or not - my guess would be not, but I'd recommend diagnostics rather than throwing parts at it. Shocking that the local garage you're using hasn't done this, sounds like they are also guessing! Similarly, it's not uncommon for this type of fault to be caused by the coolant temperature sensor, but rather than immediately replacing it I'd have recommended simply monitoring the voltage on it to see if it's what would be expected when hot and cold - you could still do this even though you've replaced it, as new ones are not always perfect, especially if it's an aftermarket one. The idea of using a decent OBD scanner to see what's going on is a good one too - proper diagnostics, which any decent garage should be doing in the first place.

All this just my humble opinion mind you......
Old Jun 20th, 2021, 16:52   #18
PNuT
MaDMaN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post

All this just my humble opinion mind you......
I suspect it is highly unlikely to be fuel pressure related.

crank cam temp sensors......
Old Jun 22nd, 2021, 17:56   #19
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I can confirm that my 1999 V70 has a fuel-rail with a diaphragm to it, I assume this deals with vaporisation, rather than pressure, however, don't take that for fact?
Yes, too much guessing here. I'd be diagnosing the fault for sure before random part-swapping.

Pix of mine...
Attached Images
File Type: png InjectorRail V70 1.png (339.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jun 22nd, 2021 at 18:04.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 22:38   #20
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
I suspect it is highly unlikely to be fuel pressure related.

crank cam temp sensors......
My money's on the antenna ring connections...they're in fashion this month

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote