Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 - Car Modem Internet

Views : 996

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2021, 20:13   #1
ellsa100

Question XC60 - Car Modem Internet

I have an XC60 Inscription B5 MY2021 which I received in April 2021. I am having trouble using the car's (apparent) in-built internet functionality & data connection.

I have not added my own SIM card. I have the Volvo Cars iOS app which is able to communicate with my XC60, so clearly internet of some sorts works (e.g. I can lock/unlock, remote start, see fuel range from my iPhone app). The salesman also told me I get 100gb of Vodafone data with the car and I have seen references to this in this forum and on Volvo's website.

However, when I try to setup the car modem by going Settings -> Communication -> Car Modem Internet and tick the box for Car Modem Internet, it seems to think I do not have internet and asks me to insert a SIM. This is weird, no? Separately, I have tried tethering my car to my phone's WiFi and this works fine (but is a pain and I'd prefer to use the in-built car modem).

Any ideas what is wrong? How do I get the Car Modem Internet to work?

Thank you
ellsa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 20:31   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

The Volvo On Call and Volvo Cars app functionality use a separate dedicated modem connection which isn't accessible to users and does not provide an actual Internet connection.

What the car is telling you is correct - to use the Car Modem Internet you need to insert a SIM with a data plan.

The salesman is also correct - you get 100 Gb of Vodafone data, valid for one year. What SHOULD have happened is that the dealer should have provided the Vodafone SIM and ensured it was configured and working as part of the delivery handover.

You could go back to the dealer and ask them to do this. Alternatively you could do what many do on here - buy a SIM from Three for £30ish and pop it in the SIM slot - it's more or less plug and play.
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 20:57   #3
ellsa100

Thanks - very helpful - I'll speak to the Volvo Dealership to sort out. Thanks.
ellsa100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 13:53   #4
Mm1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsa100 View Post
I have an XC60 Inscription B5 MY2021 which I received in April 2021. I am having trouble using the car's (apparent) in-built internet functionality & data connection.

I have not added my own SIM card. I have the Volvo Cars iOS app which is able to communicate with my XC60, so clearly internet of some sorts works (e.g. I can lock/unlock, remote start, see fuel range from my iPhone app). The salesman also told me I get 100gb of Vodafone data with the car and I have seen references to this in this forum and on Volvo's website.

However, when I try to setup the car modem by going Settings -> Communication -> Car Modem Internet and tick the box for Car Modem Internet, it seems to think I do not have internet and asks me to insert a SIM. This is weird, no? Separately, I have tried tethering my car to my phone's WiFi and this works fine (but is a pain and I'd prefer to use the in-built car modem).

Any ideas what is wrong? How do I get the Car Modem Internet to work?

Thank you
Congratulations on your purchase. I had the same thing with my V60 last month. Went to try and use the data sim and had a no sim message come up. Turns out they never inserted the sim when getting the car ready at the dealership. They had messed up a few other things so they actually came to me to install it in the end. Just a heads up you have to register with vodafone to activate the sim and that process is a bit fiddly so hang in there.
Mm1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mm1988 For This Useful Post: