Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Head Gasket blown?

Views : 985

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2010, 13:05   #1
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Question Head Gasket blown?

I am suspecting my head gasket has gone due to the following symptoms. In cold weather when accelerating, it runs on 4 or even 3 cylinders and there is water vapour at the exhaust. Secondly, coolant has mysteriously vanished from the reservoir tank. I need to do a PCV change and I'm planning doing both at the same time. Has anyone else done a head gasket and got any tips that would be useful knowledge in advance? Is there any consideration when taking off the dual cam head? Does the head just come straight off? Is it worth carrying out any other maintenance at the same time? Any info appreciated.

The car runs fine when warmed up and I don't know how the gasket has gone as it never gets thrashed and has never overheated.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan

Last edited by ShadeTek; Dec 30th, 2010 at 13:16.
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 17:01   #2
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

have u checked your oil? most of the time if the head gasket has gone water gets in the oil and oil gets into the water, check your dipstick to see if it looks like mayonaise, also i would expect it to be overheating as well, have u checked for leaks in the coolant system?
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 17:19   #3
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
have u checked your oil? most of the time if the head gasket has gone water gets in the oil and oil gets into the water, check your dipstick to see if it looks like mayonaise, also i would expect it to be overheating as well, have u checked for leaks in the coolant system?
Hi, there is mayo on the dipstick but that has been there for years and supposedly is normal as the dipstick tube get a blast of cold air on it, which I can't believe as it is behind the radiator having warm air blown on it, so maybe it is coming from the coolant. I have never had any overheating. The thing is, I only get the misfires when it is VERY cold and I am talking -8°C and below.

I had a read of the Haynes manual there and it is saying take the cams off!? Someone tell me I don't have to remove them to take the head off? The last two head gaskets I replaced were both on Ford CVH 1600cc engines, many moons ago I might add, and was not too bad a job, but the cams?

/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 17:27   #4
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

the only time i get mayo in the dipstick and where u fill it up with oil is when i do constant short trips. I would be tempted to get a pressure test done on the cooling system before head removal, this will tell u if u have a leak anywhere including maybe a weak expansion tank/cap.

if your a member of the AA or other breakdown service they will do it for u

Also the misfire could be a spark plug breaking down, i had this earlier this year same as u only when cold tho
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 18:04   #5
DSK
C70 T5

As mentioned above, it is common to get a mayo like deposit on the oil filler cap if you do short trips. In this weather it may be possible that the mayo like substance is made a little worse. Short trips I understand end up degrading the oil quicker.

I always got this on a few BMWs but in the same conditions my Volvo is fine. I simply ensure regular oil changes as advised for short trips far before the usual scheduled service intervals.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 18:52   #6
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I think I'd check for exhaust gas in the header tank before I took the head off.

Consider other causes of the coolant disappearing first.

Maybe some new plugs, / HT components as well.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 21:37   #7
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Thumbs up

I found a good write-up on head gasket, PCV, water pump, oil pump and much more here in one big how-to. http://www.tracystruesoaps.com/tutorials/850hg/p1.html

The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post: