Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo144 B20

Views : 3243

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 18:22   #1
nokiaman

This car is of 1972 age and I would like to know if these cars can use unleaded petrol please any advice is most welcome
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 19:52   #2
Lobo

You can only run this engine on unleaded if you use a fuel additive; otherwise you'll have to have the head converted.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:54   #3
Triang

Huge subject much discussed on this forum.

I have a 1973 B20 and run with Millers VSP additive.

Search the forum for 'unleaded' and see the comments and read why members fal into the 'Convert it' or 'leave it alone camps'
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:04   #4
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I ran my Amazon on unleaded for over 60,000 miles of veryu hard driving including towing. The only modification was due to melting plugs I used the injection plugs. I also replaced the restrictive standard exhaust with a sports system so allowing the hot gases to flow away freely. I also made sure the cooling system was working at its best. Head removal showed no signs of any problems other than slight valve guide wear. An engine reconditioner said the main problem he had seen was valve and seats melting together due to the engine running too hot. I would run on straight unleaded and worry about any problems if they occur and consider head work at that stage.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 23:13   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The B18 and B20 heads will suffer from accelerated valve guide wear when running on unleaded or lpg. The wear is caused by the side loading of the valve (pushrod engine). This wear is made worse because unleaded does not lubricate as well and LPG does not lubricate at all.

This problem can be greatly reduced by using sicone bronze alloy guides.

Hope this info helps
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:03   #6
pyaap
Non-T4 T4s RULE!!!!

My dad has a 1972 144 with a B20A engine and all he did was drop a Broquet fuel catalyst into the fuel tank and the car has been running perfectly on Super Unleaded eversince. That was nearly 10yrs ago and the car's never missed a beat. I've also got a relative who did precisely the same with his 240 and that's running fine too.

There is an article on the Broquet here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...hlight=Broquet

There is a discussion on the Broquet here:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...hlight=Broquet

My comments are given as someone who has twice used the Broquet with great success and know others who've done the same; its not mere speculation.

Last edited by pyaap; Jan 8th, 2006 at 10:07.
pyaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 14:49   #7
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

This is a common missunderstanding.
The broquet fuel cat is only a octane booster. They work so well on the volvo engines with unleaded because they do not need it.
The 240 engines have always run on unleaded with no problems.
What is wanted on the B18 and B20 is lubrication not higher octane.

I can see no real point in using an octane booster in a B18 or B20 engine as they run so well on normal unleaded.

Provided you do not drive your old overhead valve volvo to hard you will find no probelms running on unleaded with no more than adjusting the timing.

If you drive hard then a change of plugs and replacing the under sized exhaust with somthing more suitable to the power output is the main thing needed.

The valve guides wear if you run on 4star or unleaded, its just unleaded wears them faster.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote