Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V50 D5 (EURO 4?) sounding "diesel-y"

Views : 333

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2022, 20:44   #1
ChrisWoj

Default Volvo V50 D5 (EURO 4?) sounding "diesel-y"

Hello

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just adding to the endless pile of "what's that noise?" threads.

I am a Brit living in Sweden and I have recently acquired a 2008 V50 D5 auto (229,000km). I need to be in England for a couple of months so I thought I would find a good long-distance cruiser and move it on when I get back to Sweden.
The car itself was one owner and full service history until 2021 and then passed around to a few owners (very easy to check in Sweden) and probably not well looked after in this period.

Despite that, the car is still in good shape, bar a few small issues. It drives well, feels fresh and is still capable of surprising lane 3 tailgaters.. I have never had a high powered diesel before and that shove gets addictive!

My issue is that despite all this, the car does sound a bit like an old mk3 Transit at idle and lacks the "warble" noise of other D5s I have been in. It also has the "drumming bunny" noise when you remove the oil filler.
I have looked at many posts of people discussing a rattly or tappety D5 and the endless debate as to whether its vacuum, engine mounts, lifter or injectors.

I have some videos of startup/running I am curious to see what the forum thinks.

I have a workshop appointment for a few small jobs (haven't got the skills to do the work myself), so should I get them to take a look at the mounts and/or lifters, or should I just drive to England and not worry about it? (and maybe get it looked at there).
Am I just chasing ghosts as I know I have a big trip coming?

Thanks in advance, videos below.

Cold start
https://youtu.be/BzQmNwZD5HM

Cold start 2 (without cover)
https://youtu.be/UMOTaqkjy1M

Slow drive
https://youtu.be/OC6wF64L_2U

Rev
https://youtu.be/iNYZzJGpKMY
ChrisWoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 12:53   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Doesn't sound (subjectively) that abnormal to me, I have three D5's in varying flavours/mileages.

When was the oil last changed and what grade/quality was it ?

If you do really perceive an issue, start at the beginning with the simple things.

IMHO that mileage/Km is nothing for a D5 engine. Perhaps much more important than the issue of perceived noise is DO be very aware of when the cambelt/auxilliary belt/idlers were changed. If the service schedule of these is not kept up to date and any of them fail it's potentially goodnight Vienna for the engine and likely for a car of your age the whole car.

Great cars (especially in D5 form), keep on top of the servicing and enjoy !

Last edited by Lancee; Aug 21st, 2022 at 13:10.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote