Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1988 Volvo 240 GL, Somerset, £950

Views : 2457

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2010, 07:54   #1
Ben '71 1200

Default 1988 Volvo 240 GL, Somerset, £950

This may not be to the tastes of people on here but I'll have a go...

Model:Volvo 240

Year: 1988

Mileage: 226000 (but it's not on the original engine)

Tax:.. is in the window, I'll check for how long for later today.

MOT: Oct 2010

Location: Somerset, near Yeovil. Or Bridgwater. Whatever's easier.

Price: £950

Contact details: PM or O781 49O 3481

The reason for sale is boringly practical. Smaller cars cost less to run and I'm going to be doing a lot more miles in the near future. I've considered selling a couple times before but have never been able to bring myself to because of all I have put into it.

Engine
Originally a B200e (2 litre), it has been upgraded to a B230e (2.3 litre, same as a GLT). I don't know the engine's exact mileage but it feels very strong and capable.

I have a set of genuine volvo belts so will do the cambelt if I get a chance to before it sells. The idle on petrol is a little high, and I assume this is the injector seals.

It has a Bedini LPG conversions, which achieves 20-21MPG, but it could do with a service and setup. I've upgraded the vaporiser to an OMVL R90e and fitted a closed loop upgrade from Tinley Tech.
I've had up to 30mpg on petrol.

It's got a Kenlowe fan conversion. I've removed the adjustable fan controller in anticipation of fitting a switch in the rad because it's a tidier solution but can refit the controller if required. There's a dash switch to override it as well.

Gearbox
Gearbox is a little tight in first and second when it's cold. I've just put up with it because it's fine when it's warmed up.

Suspension and steering and brakes
Bilstein shocks and uprated springs front and rear. They've all had a bit of choppy choppy but the car still rides really well. I'd estimate it's been lowered 4-5 inches but I've never measured to compare.

The steering rack was changed for a recon unit at a cost of about £150 earlier this year.

Rear pads and discs were changed this year. They work like they should..

Bodywork
There are quite a few changes here.. fortunately there's **** all rust

I'll try to work front to back in order to remember as much of it as possible
-Big metal 'commando' bumpers, painted sat black
-Front panel, lights, grille, bonnet and wings are all from an early 244/245. Both wings are new, one is NOS and one's a very good pattern part.
-All trim has been removed and the majority of the trim holes have been welded up.
-The windscreen will need replacing. It's delaminating around the edges and has a couple chips but it hasn't failed MOTs on these before and none have got any worse. The surrounding trim was removed for the paint, but was rubbish and brittle so never got put back on.
-Rear arches have been flaired
-Rear bumper has been moved closer to the body so there isn't a weird gap between it and the bumper.
-BROWN! It was painted this year at the first Area 52 sprayday. We learnt as we went and it's definitely not perfect and the shuts haven't been done, but it is respectable enough and I think is waaay cooler than the usual satin black. It looks like a poo.

Interior
The seats are black leather from a 264GLE and a similar to 240glt ones, but without the pressed button things.
There aren't currently any doorcards..
There's not a (working) stereo.

Is it perfect? no.. But it is damn solid, very cool, full of history and comes pre modified with useful things like lowness, gas and rarer panels. Buy it so I can buy a dull ecobox and go hypermiling with ColonElk

Proper pics rather than my 'stock photos' will follow.

Ben '71 1200 is offline   Reply With Quote