Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sorry- but another power steering fluid question.

Views : 478

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2017, 08:44   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Sorry- but another power steering fluid question.

Sorry guys for yet another similar question, but my 2004 AWD V70 R has a power steering moan. I checked the fluid and its low, actually when I checked after hearing the noise it was frothy- like a pale coloured aero bar.
I searched here about acceptability of mixing red/green fluid but can't find a answer. But thanks to Clan for advise about flushing. My fluid is neither red nor green but a sandy colour, so what colour it was originally is hard to say.
As a quick fix can fluid colours be mixed, cos at the moment I don't know which colour is actually in the car, and 50/50 I'll be mixing colours. (Think I'd plump for green.)
A steering flush will be the second job for my new garage (nearing completion, hence currently I have no space/time/tools/appetite for a flush ) - rattling drop link replacement will be the first one.

Cheers

Bob

Edit :
Have discovered answer - No you can't Mix : My fluid is/was green (thank Si for yr vid) So ill be adding a bit green fluid to get me underway.
Cheers

bob

Last edited by 100K+; Nov 4th, 2017 at 09:05.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 09:29   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

Has your reservoir got the high level return hose at two o'clock. If so the internal elbow in the reservoir may have come off. This is a known cause of frothiness. Fish it out and pop it back on.
I would plan a complete change of fluid. With the return hose in a jar the motor can be run briefly to pump it out in stages. Keep topping the reservoir with new until the return is clean and green. Take care keeping new fluid coming so as to avoid air being drawn into the system.

Last edited by Brendan W; Nov 4th, 2017 at 09:31.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 10:56   #3
PE11AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Has your reservoir got the high level return hose at two o'clock. If so the internal elbow in the reservoir may have come off. This is a known cause of frothiness. Fish it out and pop it back on.
I would plan a complete change of fluid. With the return hose in a jar the motor can be run briefly to pump it out in stages. Keep topping the reservoir with new until the return is clean and green. Take care keeping new fluid coming so as to avoid air being drawn into the system.
How much new fluid would you need for a full flush? As per my other post I have a fluid leak so level is quite low. What's left of my fluid is a very clean red colour. I don't want to start the flush after fixing the leak to find that I need gallons of the fresh green stuff😐
PE11AND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 11:09   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PE11AND View Post
How much new fluid would you need for a full flush? As per my other post I have a fluid leak so level is quite low. What's left of my fluid is a very clean red colour. I don't want to start the flush after fixing the leak to find that I need gallons of the fresh green stuff😐
one litre is enough for a change of fluid but as you need to flush it a bit more with red already in there get 2 litres .. about £15 a litre from volvo .
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 14:10   #5
100K+
Premier Member

Default Sorted in 5 minutes. - thanks

Thanks Brendan - I do have the high return pipe. when I get a bit more time I'll check out the internals of the tank.
I found a screwdriver so decided to see what I could do. Removed the reservoir tank, and used the screwdriver to release the return pipe from said tank. Emptied tank into a milk carton, and then stuck the return pipe into the same milk carton. Fully filled the reservoir tank with new fluid, ( green) and then turned the engine over a couple of times. Old fluid came out of the return pipe. ( as per previous Clan assist) The reservoir was refilled and the engine turned over again, more fluid came out. I was not able to monitor fluid colour, as it mixed in the milk carton. However, by good fortune, there was a small amount of new fluid left in the bottle, ( One litre when new) which when added to the fluid in the reservoir, brought the level almost exactly to the "Cold Full" level on the dip stick. Everything reassembled, job done. Literally 5 minutes from start to finish.

Thanks & Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 15:43   #6
Turbodave
VOC Member

It should be green... Comma MVCHF is fine, £9.99 a litre from Halfords.

On mine, drained the reservoir with my Pela vacuum pump and then removed the reservoir, put some petrol in and flushed out twice (amount of crap that came out was surprising!) and then put the vacuum pump lines down the rubber hoses and drew out as much fluid as possible. Reassemble, filled with fresh fluid and topped up then ran it for a few miles and repeated. Fluid is now perfectly clear and the steering is noticeably quieter and smoother.

Cheers
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 20:52   #7
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Procedure

At any point did you turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock?
I assume you have to do that.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 21:21   #8
Turbodave
VOC Member

Yes, I did... can't remember exactly but I'm sure the procedure is full lock, hold for 10secs, other lock, 10secs and repeat several times.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote