Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D2 RDesign Fuel Consumption

Views : 2312

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 21:12   #1
twinlincaz

Angry D2 RDesign Fuel Consumption

In August I bought an S40 D2 RDesign after looking at various makes & models. I was swayed toward the S40 D2 in part due to the advertised fuel consumption of Urban 54.2, Extra Urban 74.3 & Combined 65.7.
It was registered in June 2010 & has currently done just over 9,000 miles.
I love the car but the fuel consumption is nothing like what is advertised. It has been into the dealer twice now, 2nd time due to a safety recall so I asked them to look into the fuel consumption again.
They said they can find nothing wrong with the car & it is down to the engine not being run in!!!! I feel they are just fobbing me off. Town work I am getting about 36ish mpg, combined 45mpg & extra urban 52mpg. I was told to give or take 5% on the advertised figures but even motorway work isn't achieving what the car should do around town.
Can anyone give me any advice & help with what I should do. The car is still under warranty until beginning of August 2012.
Thanks
twinlincaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 21:39   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Firstly it is the government you should be chasing for the fuel consumption figures as the figures come from them , volvo are not allowed to publish their own figures and do say in their literature that these figures may not be representative of what you will actualy get . .
Secondly yes the fuel consumption does get better and better with more and more miles , and the latest engine software upgrade came out early in January regarding adaption have you had this loaded by the dealer yet? It all helps . .
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:00   #3
stevep999

Clan, should all D2's need/get the update ?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:14   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep999 View Post
Clan, should all D2's need/get the update ?
Its probably a good idea as they were having problems auto adapting the injectors hence people complaining about hesitation and jerks . a poorly running engine wont be fuel efficient . You should get this at the next service though with volvos new service promise programme .
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:17   #5
stevep999

Ok, ta. Not due a service for a while as exdemo and got service when i purchased. Will a dealer charge to do it even in warranty ?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:19   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

i guess you have to have a hesitation problem for them to do it under warranty ..
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:20   #7
stevep999

ah ;-) or poor consumption too ?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:23   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Whilst all cars go through the same government fuel test, I find that the majority of brands are about 15% shy of official figures, whereas Volvo are 30% shy +

Combined on my car is 50mpg. I get no more than 30mpg, which admittedly if I do a tad more motorway driving this rises to about 35mpg combined. Still 30% short though!
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:44   #9
grin factor

All the cars I've had, have never come anywhere near what is quoted.
Had a 1.25 Fiesta Zetec a while back, and that was rubbish on fuel, as was many on the FOC forum.
If you drive like a nun you can get the figures up, but that spoils the fun of the car, swings & roundabout mate
grin factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 22:49   #10
Axionknight
Premier Member

That extra urban combined figure is taken during a stringent test at what, 55mph? How fast do you drive on the motorway? Bet it's faster than that!

These figures they release are not really a true representation of the average driving conditions, more a benchmark to give you an idea of cars economy on a level playing field......

Plus it's a diesel, give it a good few thousand miles to loosen up and it should rise a bit.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote